Display Case/Stand Help!

G'day all,

So I just received my model(!), which I also ordered 4 display case moldings.

Unfortunately, they are not 100% straight! two are fine but the other two are warped.
One is convex, the other looks like an S (stretched out).

Now, these are American Walnut so I do want to try to save them. Can they be straightened somehow?

TIA.

Last edited:
G'day all,

So I just received my model(!), which I also ordered 4 display case moldings.

Unfortunately, they are not 100% straight! two are fine but the other two are warped.
One is convex, the other looks like an S (stretched out).

Now, these are American Walnut so I do want to try to save them. Can they be straightened somehow?

TIA.
can you show the problem with one or several photos?
It would make it maybe easier to understand the problem and give tipps

can you show the problem with one or several photos?
It would make it maybe easier to understand the problem and give tipps
Of course, should have thought of that.

Here they are, the first two photos are the S shaped mould and the third one is the convex mould.

ABB07769-1DDB-46A0-AB7C-9F691786C683.jpeg

8F61F17B-159C-4D9D-ABEE-8166DB8E278B.jpeg

2C74238C-4C1F-426E-A3E0-3EA799103A6F.jpeg

1st Get in touch with the supplier the sooner the better. I would go down the return them for replacement or Refund. In the past when this has happened to me the company have been quite happy to send new items without asking for the old ones to be returned so you could end up with some useful spares.

Its possible to remove the warp but id be worried that it may re-warp when the case is made not such and issue if its thick glass as it should help stop that but if its perspex/acrylic glass it may distort the case.

1st Get in touch with the supplier the sooner the better. I would go down the return them for replacement or Refund. In the past when this has happened to me the company have been quite happy to send new items without asking for the old ones to be returned so you could end up with some useful spares.

Its possible to remove the warp but id be worried that it may re-warp when the case is made not such and issue if its thick glass as it should help stop that but if its perspex/acrylic glass it may distort the case.
This is very true, I’d hate it to ‘re-warp’. Besides, as Steven pointed out, I ordered straight and they should be straight.

Let’s see what they say, from past experience AL doesn’t have bad customer service, at least not in the past.

I wonder what would have caused such horrible bending? Might have been defects from the start.

Wood is a natural substance that expands, contracts and moves with changes in humidity, temperature and age. particularly apparent in thin sections such as yours and when coated on only some sides. If your case is glass, it is likely the two panes at right angles to each other will hold it straight, but I wouldn't trust acrylic / polycarbonate to do so.
If you can suspend them inside a tube such as plastic downpipe and rig up a kettle to expel its steam up the pipe for half an hour, then clamp straight to something rigid while they cool for a few hours you might overcome it. Nothing too complex needed to steam wood unless you want it to be, I'm sure people sell fancy kit to do it!

Wood is a natural substance that expands, contracts and moves with changes in humidity, temperature and age. particularly apparent in thin sections such as yours and when coated on only some sides. If your case is glass, it is likely the two panes at right angles to each other will hold it straight, but I wouldn't trust acrylic / polycarbonate to do so.
If you can suspend them inside a tube such as plastic downpipe and rig up a kettle to expel its steam up the pipe for half an hour, then clamp straight to something rigid while they cool for a few hours you might overcome it. Nothing too complex needed to steam wood unless you want it to be, I'm sure people sell fancy kit to do it!
Great advise! Thanks Jimmy, will note this.

This is very true, I’d hate it to ‘re-warp’. Besides, as Steven pointed out, I ordered straight and they should be straight.

Let’s see what they say, from past experience AL doesn’t have bad customer service, at least not in the past.

I wonder what would have caused such horrible bending? Might have been defects from the start.
AL just mailed me back saying they will send replacements! That's a relief I must say.

Now to find a use for the warped pieces.

You can also wrap the piece in a hot, wet towel, wrap that in tin foil and put it in the oven at 250F for about 15 min or until you can see that it's steaming well. When you clamp it to something to cool, try to over bend it about 10% or more. It's better to over bend it as it's hard to bend it more but it's easy to heat it a bit and unbend it.

One more option that I have done successfully with softer wood such as bass wood or boxwood. First, thoroughly soak the wood pieces…submerge overnight. Then clamp the piece to straighten the bend and let dry naturally…may take a few days. This is an simple option if you do not have a steam box...the objective of a steam box is to force moisture back into the wood. So, raise the moisture content of the wood…clamp it straight…then allow the wood to slowly dry again. Once dry and straight it should not warp again…maybe. :)

One more option that I have done successfully with softer wood such as bass wood or boxwood. First, thoroughly soak the wood pieces…submerge overnight. Then clamp the piece to straighten the bend and let dry naturally…may take a few days. This is an simple option if you do not have a steam box...the objective of a steam box is to force moisture back into the wood. So, raise the moisture content of the wood…clamp it straight…then allow the wood to slowly dry again. Once dry and straight it should not warp again…maybe. :)
Definitely worth trying mate! Thanks.

Glad it worked out with the vendor. My very low budget suggestion that works is just to soak them overnight in water--that usually straightens them out nicely.

Back