Diorama - Fort Marion circa 1810

About 18 months ago I went to the Parris Island Museum. It's on the Parris Island Marine Base near Beaufort, SC. Your cannot find a finer museum that encapsulates the history of the US Marines. There's alot to see. I looked through my phone and I have several photos that can tell the story of the process to build this diorama.
First a little history of Fort Marion.
On the left is the survey drawing of the fort in 1826 by the Marine Corps of Engineers. Note the drawing has an incorrect name of the fort. It was added later. It's odd, the name used was "Lyttleton",even mispelled Littleton. Fort Lyttleton was actually a fort on the same spot occupied by the British at the beginning of the Revolutionary War. It was a different fort altogether and none of the structures were used to construct Fort Marion. There was a third fort up river a few clicks that preceded both of them. Ft. Frederick built to protect settlers from the Yamasee Indians. Those ruins can be visited today. The map shows the location of the fort. It was south of Beaufort on "Spanish Point".
Spanish Point today is populated by upscale waterfront homes. There are a few small outcroppings but for the most part there are no ruins to visit. The last archeological survey done was in 1978. That survey is on fine at the Beaufort Library as a pdf. It was interesting, with one fort superimposed on the other. The survey however did not have ad site map so distinguishing locations of features was difficult for me. I believe the purpose of the site survey was to collect and catalog artifacts. It will be many years before another archeological dig can be performed. Aside from the homes, at the turn of the 19th century there was phosphate mining on Spanish Point.
fort marion (1) reduced.jpgFort Marion2.jpg

This sounds very interesting -
I am looking forward to see more about your research and the works on the diorama

The diorama contracted by the museum was to be 20" x 24" to fit in the display. Based on the size of the fort the scale would be 1:168. The contract will include human detail so humans are less than 1/2" tall.
The base materials used for the diorama are: 1" thick sheet foam ( Insulation from Lowes), plaster, model railroading materials.

I spent much time viewing U-Tube to hone my knowledge and techniques. Mostly static grass application and tree construction, I also spent much time on my cad drawing sites to create files for 3d printing for features and human modeling.

The center piece is the forts tabby wall. It's a pretty complex semicircle with sloped face, gun revetments and ports. I carved that out of that as oue piece. Eight times before I got it right. The gun platform was made out of 1/16 x 1/16 Cherry sticks. Seen are the individual panel assemblies glued together I mill my own lumber.
20220621_140733.jpg20220623_125332.jpg

Construction: Once I got the fort right the rest was art and creativity. I remember when I growing up in Milwaukee. The Milwaukee Museum had many small dioramas of native American scenes in one section. Possibly 3/8" = 1' scale. They were highly detailed and to me very realistic. So, that was my goal here.
I started with a layout 1" foam base on the 20" x 24" board. I followed lines from a CAD layout of the fort and surrounding topography.
The brick features were created with a product I found on-line that was textured. At my scale it was a perfect selection for a retaining wall, armory and gun platform stancheons. They were highly detailed and to me very realistic. So, that was my goal here. I started with a layout 1" foam base on the 20" x 24" board. I followed lines from a CAD layout of the fort and surrounding topography.
The brick features were created with a product I found on-line that was textured. At my scale it was a perfect selection for a retaining wall, armory and gun platform stanc20220701_125849.jpgheons.20220706_162755.jpg20220803_140719.jpg

To finish this model I added the moat and filled the bottom with epoxy for water. This "cesspool" was probably a source of yellow fever in the day. The pile of dirt behind the armory was a feature to protect it. There are no barracks on the site. The officers and men slept at some building off site. I added grass and trees. I am familiar with the area and there are immence loblolly pines everywhere. They are in the background not in the field of fire. The dirt mound and the open fiel are green with weeds. I added a few outcroppings of the previous fort Lyttleton as remnants of the previous fort.
I added humans: Some on the fort wall, A few unloading a wagon at the armory. A squad under review at revielle under the flag. A patrol in the field.
1.jpg2.jpg20220809_083225.jpg20220809_083305.jpg20220816_134059.jpg20220816_134113.jpg20220816_134059.jpg20220816_134043.jpg

Last edited:
Back