Digital build of Le Coureur for Ahoy

Hi everybody !
My name is Max, i am currently working as a Hardsurface 3D modeler at Capstan game for the game Ahoy. My main mission is to model weapons but since it's pretty ahead of schedule I have the chance to try modeling the french lugger LE COUREUR. If the result is good enough compared to the existing ships, it might be included, as for now it is not an official model of the game.

The goal here is to be as accurate as possible of the actual ship, mainly using the drawings from Ancre and informations from the CAF kit. The interior will be modeled last as the informations about it are very limited.

The goal is to match the quality of the Veloce ( first finished ship of Ahoy ) that you can see here:

I'm already a few weeks into the modeling, but there is still A LOT to do.

For now here what it looks like in Blender:Capture 4.PNGCapture 2.PNG Capture.PNG

Capture 5.PNG

And here's what it looks like for now in Unreal Engine 5 ( the textures are already used one on other ships, so it's not the final colors or quality ) :
Capture 3.PNG

Do not hesitate if you have any feedback to make or if you have questions regarding Ahoy itself !

Have a nice day, and sail safe !

First of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
You are presenting here a great part of "ship modeling" - and a highly interesting project in 3D-modeling of the Le Coureur - in my opinion of of the most interesting vessel published in a monograph by Jean Boudriot.

Myself and a lot of other members will be more than happy to assist you in your work as much as possible. Especially the model builder of the CAF kit often have also the Boudriot drawings, and studied already the drawings in detail

Just two small comments to the actual status of your rendering

Capture 3.PNG Capture 5.PNG

1) the hatch has to be checked (red arrow) - please compare with my model (and the ancre drawings)

IMG-6313.jpg IMG-6316.jpg

IMG-6317.jpg

2) blue arrow - there was no tube internal in which the rudder was running - the ship was made watertight with some canvas from outside

IMG-7813.jpg

Here a link also to the History page of the Coureur with some information - maybe some are still new for you

Maybe you can also check and go through the different building logs - here you can find several interpretations of the interior

f.e. mine
IMG-6346.jpg

Thanks Uwek for the usefull feedbacks, pictures and links!

Indeed I'll modify the Hatch, mine is a bit different, I might have missread the drawings there. I change that as soon as possible.

As for the water tight canvas on the back, I'll make it but first i have to make sure how to proceed for it as it has to move with the rudder but also stay connected to the ship, so I will make it but it might not be the final one depending on the method we decide to use.

It really helps, thank you so much !

By the way you model is gorgeous, very well done !

Ahoy everybody !

I'll try to post and update on the model every week, so here's a quick update on what has been added/modified oh the ship during the past few days :

The Binnacle has been added
Capture.PNGCapture 2.PNG

The rudder and hatch have been modified after Uwek useful feedbacksCapture 4.PNG

Capture 3.PNG

The bowspit have been started and placedCapture 5.PNG

And the loops and scuppers have also been placed to help figure out where things will be attachedCapture 6.PNG

The overall it was mostly a week of adding details and fixing issues, but the deck is starting to get in shape. A lot still needs to be added but for now walking around it in unreal start to feel a little bit closer to an actual ship.

Thank you all for your feedbacks and you interests in the project/model !

Sail safe and see you next week !
Max

Very good details!!! Really very good
even the different size of one pair of the scuppers are shown - very good work

If you want to add:
usually the edges of the hatch frame was overlapping (red arrows and marks) and maybe (please check this with the drawings) the securing pin of the bowsprit looks slightly too thin (green arrow)
Capture 5.PNG

Thank you once again Uwek for the precisions !
I'll modify it as soon as i can, my graphic card died last Thursday right after the update, and i'll have to wait a couple more days to get it replaced. There will not be a lot of changes on this week update unfortunatly :/

Hello everybody !

As I said, today is going to be a short update as my computer had issues and i got it back only today.

The changes are : the hatch frame and the securing pin of the bowsprit have been modified according to Uwek observations (once again, thank you for the usefull feedbacks !) . I also made the windlass parts. Everytime you see something new, it's modeled, UV unwrapped and texture ready to be directly imported as is in Unreal.
Capture.PNG

I hope I will have way more to show next week, because there is still a LOT to do on the deck !

Sail safe and see you next week !
Max

Very good improvements - the windlass and the stopper is looking very good

two small comments

1) the hatch frames have a slightly different joints (red)
2) there was outside an additional iron band around the drum of the windlass - off course mirrored also on the other side

Capture.PNG

Hello!

Thanks for the feedback Uwek ! but are you sure about the hatch ? this is the drawing of Le coureur front hatch by Boudriot and Berti. Is it different on the CAF kit ?
M hatch.PNG

Ok - you are correct. Than the cover is laying in the notch of the cover - I did not make a notch, but only installed a strip insode the hatch, on which the covers are laying
You can leave it like it is...... sorry if I produced any confusion

Hello everybody !

No worries Uwek, it's nice to have feedback on the work ! I double check every changes everytime to make sure because there is a lot of differences between the French and the British version of this ship.

As for this week additions, i've place the ropes that holds the Binnacle, as well as the deck bitts and pins. I also added the boat stands and the "rope holders" on the sides ( sorry I don't know the english name for those ) and the Iron band on the Windlass with the precious feedback of Uwek !

Have a nice day everybody !

Capture.PNGCapture 02.PNGCapture 03.PNG

Hi every body !

update on Le coureur,
I added the lifeboat, and updated the texture in Unreal to make sure everything is correctly UVunwrapped.Capture.PNGCapture 02.PNGCapture 03.PNGCapture 04.PNG

The life boat needs a little bit more work, but i'm going to be out of town for a couple of days so that's the latest version for now.
After that I'll do some more deck details like some static ropes and add a few screw on parts that needs details, and after that I think i'll be able to start the masts !
Have a nice day everybody !

Max

Bravo - looking very good

Enjoy the time (if you have holidays) and / or have a successful time

BTW: Now you have rendered also the planking and the treenailing with butt joints - here we have to discuss some changes, but this will have time after your trip

Back