Demasting HMS Victory for restoration

Yikes, what a project. Can you imagine how it was constructed in the beginning w/o modern cranes etc.

Last edited:
Did the grand ship have masts made up from multiple section with center core? I have seen some drawings of each lower and mid sections of masts being a banded set of sections around a square core, so if one section was damaged it could be replaced while the mast stayed in place.

Do you have a link to the video you mentioned.

Did the grand ship have masts made up from multiple section with center core? I have seen some drawings of each lower and mid sections of masts being a banded set of sections around a square core, so if one section was damaged it could be replaced while the mast stayed in place.

Do you have a link to the video you mentioned.

Page 81 in the excellent book "HMS Victory, Her Construction, Career And Restoration" describes "made" masts and how Victory's wooden lower masts {which had become rotten} were replaced with hollow iron masts removed from the armoured frigate 'Shah' in 1887. These masts date from 1870.
The book is by Alan McGowan and is published in 1999 by Chatham Publishing of London. A highly detailed study which features many excellent drawings by John McKay the author of many books in the "Anatomy Of The Ship" series.

Page 81 in the excellent book "HMS Victory, Her Construction, Career And Restoration" describes "made" masts and how Victory's wooden lower masts {which had become rotten} were replaced with hollow iron masts removed from the armoured frigate 'Shah' in 1887. These masts date from 1870.
The book is by Alan McGowan and is published in 1999 by Chatham Publishing of London. A highly detailed study which features many excellent drawings by John McKay the author of many books in the "Anatomy Of The Ship" series.
I do have this book, but so far I've only skipped thru it, soo I still have a lot to take in - 'little grey cells' permitting.

I think it’s a book to dip into for info on specific items or topics rather than to read through cover to cover! The drawings though would be very useful to scratch-builders I imagine …… I ‘cheated’ and built the deAgostini kit a few years ago, the build log is on SoS here somewhere.

Very interesting video. Do you happen to know if they plan on putting all the sections of the mast back and not just the bottom part?

I visited the Royal Dockyard in Portsmouth to see Victory about 6 years ago and was told that all the masts, spars and rigging were to be refurbished / replaced as necessary over the coming years; at that time only the lower masts were in place (which was a bit disappointing). I’m not sure what the present state of affairs is but no doubt an on-line search will yield some results. By the way, I took lots of photos on my visit which I put in a Shutterfly album; I can give you a link if you’d like to see them.

I visited the Royal Dockyard in Portsmouth to see Victory about 6 years ago and was told that all the masts, spars and rigging were to be refurbished / replaced as necessary over the coming years; at that time only the lower masts were in place (which was a bit disappointing). I’m not sure what the present state of affairs is but no doubt an on-line search will yield some results. By the way, I took lots of photos on my visit which I put in a Shutterfly album; I can give you a link if you’d like to see them.
Not sure if you are addressing this to me, but I would definitely love to see the photos.
Thank you

Back