DECKS ON MERCHANT SAILING SHIP, VICTORIAN ERA

HELLO FROM CANADA. AM WRITING AN HISTORICAL NOVEL, 1863-1864. PART OF IT TAKES PLACE ON BOARD A MERCHANT SAILING SHIP. AM LOOKING TO UNDERSTAND SHIP'S LAYOUT (A CUTAWAY SCHEMATIC WOULD BE REALLY HELPFUL!) SO I CAN DESCRIBE HOW MY CHARACTERS GET FROM ONE DECK TO ANOTHER. THE SHIP'S CARGO IS HORSES DESTINED FOR THE US CIVIL WAR. ANY AND ALL HELP MUCH APPRECIATED.

Ladders, steep stairs, are used to travel between decks. The layout of such a ship would be unique, but with many similarities to other cargo ships of the time. Perhaps one of the other members has a source for a cutaway drawing.

in the time period steam ships were being used and also sailing ships these ships are two different designs.

also ocean going, lake ships and inland water way all had their own designs

you would need big hatches for a cargo of houses

give us a setting where does the ship sail from and where too
down the Mississippi
down the eastern coast
across the great lakes from Canada to the US

I can't over-recommend reading Patrick O'brien's Aubrey-Maturin series if you want to get the feel of life onboard a sailing ship. You could also take a short-cut and watch Master and Commander: Far Side of the World.

I also understand Two Years Before the Mast is very good at painting the picture of a sailor's life in the age of sail, although I've not yet had a chance to read that myself. It is the non-fiction memoir of Richard Henry Dana.

Thx for responding, Namabiru... Am currently reading Two Years Before the Mast and will look into viewing Far Side of the World.

To answer your question, Dave Stevens... The barque is sailing from Cork, Ireland to Halifax, Canada, where it will pick up more of the horse trader's horses and then head south to Boston.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Very interesting subject - we all will try to help and assist with information

A model of the Star of India was build and shown in a building log by @Dave Teel

Here you can find also a planset with longitudinal section of the ship - so there is a planset existing

this can also help

Back