Death Sand?

Is this supposed to be serious?
it is from official occre channel
I only speak English so I could not translate, however it seams like an extreme way to sand a hull!

You CAN use a disc sander to sand MOST areas on the hull, but only if you have lots of experience controlling a heavy tool while doing delicate work even with light passes as shown in the video. I know because I have on many occasions, but I don't recommend it. You have to have hands as steady as a rock and experience sculpting wood or metal using a disc grinder. It is not easy to control and if you screw up, you'll make a large flat spot on your hull or worse. Use a small "mouse" sander for the rough sanding and do the final shaping passes with a sanding block by hand. I can only imagine what some poor beginner with little shop experience would do to their model using this method. SCARY. :eek::oops:

Kurt covered most everything regarding risk/reward points of using a disc sander. You see it used, in most cases on larger models, when you need to remove material that would take you forever and cause you carpel tunnel syndrome if you did it by hand. Typically, long, light strokes along the longitudinal is the practice. The key, DO NOT STOP MOVING the sander at any point or you will certainly create a low spot defect or void and be on your way to buy a large container of wood filler. ROTF
I just don't see the value of using a disc sander on a model of the size in the video. The risk out weighs the reward. Also, it is much, much harder to use on a smaller ship.

With all that said, I do own a small drill I use only for disc sanding and have 5", 3", 2" and 1" discs, along with a multitude of other hand tools used.
DiscSanders.jpg

I only disc sand when I want to remove material quickly (compared to hand sanding". Intermediate and finish sanding is always done by hand.

My 2 cents.

If one is used to using the tools, it is a great timesaver. Light touch and constant motion is the key to this kind of operation. To gain experience without ruining the workpiece, use very fine grit sandpaper. Good luck!

The problem is mainly, that maybe beginners looking at this video are trying this method on their first made hull - with maybe a bad result
- I guess it is 50:50

and experienced modeler will be much more careful with such a method

Back