DE 7 PROVINCIËN (1665) 1:50

I have been working on the keel and the stem post that must match the front part of the keel.
First I inserted the plywood into the slot in the hull and marked it with a pencil to get the correct form for the stempost.

View attachment 433602

The three parts for the keel were made and provided with slots.

View attachment 433603

The aft, middle and front part of the keel:

View attachment 433612

The plywood was inserted into the hull and reduced to protrude just a little to fit into the sluts of the keel.

View attachment 433623

Same procedure for the stempost.

View attachment 433606

View attachment 433607

View attachment 433608

Now matching the stempost and the keel

View attachment 433609

View attachment 433613

Two holes were made in the keel for the stands.

View attachment 433610

And the parts of the keel were glued to the model.

View attachment 433616

View attachment 433617

View attachment 433614

The stempost has not yet been glued to the model. I keep the stempost removable as long as I am working on different parts of the bow.
Very nice and methodical work, Herman.
Regards, Peter

@Hubac’s Historian
@Peter Voogt
@Heinrich
@GrantTyler
@AnobiumPunctatum
Thanks you for your positive comments and also for all the others that have visited my build log, commented and granted me likes during the process of planking the lower part of the hull. This part of the build took me 4 months. The amount of time spent never bothered me. It was time well spent and I must say I really like the outcome. Knowing you follow this build is met with gratitude from my side and it pushes me to a level higher than I would likely have achieved without this support. So again, thank you for your visiting.

To properly form the front part of the keel made it necessary to start also the work on the parts of the bow.

I made a copy of the bow and glued the different parts on a piece of wood that had the correct thickness.

20240222_201323_resized.jpg

And separated the parts by means of a bandsaw.

20240224_192547_resized.jpg

It took some work to get a proper fit for the different pieces. I did not use the the sawn part for the upper piece of wood, but bent a plank to the correct curvature. That gives more strength.

20240303_163402_resized.jpg

Some pieces glued together and provided with the necessary slots and holes.

20240305_195236_resized.jpg

On top of this bow structure I have made a curl. The curl that the lion-figurehead will hold on to.

20240305_200211_resized.jpg

The drawing of Otte Blom shows a forward curl but I have not yet seen a contemporary image with a forward curl so I have decided to make a backward curl (in agreement with position on the replica of the 7P in Bataviastad). The curl is shown on the next image. The construction of the other parts of the bow is now in progress. The knee and the part of the bow in which the ornamentation will come are also shown.

20240309_190412_resized.jpg

20240309_190503_resized.jpg

The joinery on stem looks beautiful, Herman and is testimony to fine craftsmanship. The whole assembly creates very harmonious lines.

To properly form the front part of the keel made it necessary to start also the work on the parts of the bow.

I made a copy of the bow and glued the different parts on a piece of wood that had the correct thickness.

View attachment 433944

And separated the parts by means of a bandsaw.

View attachment 433945

It took some work to get a proper fit for the different pieces. I did not use the the sawn part for the upper piece of wood, but bent a plank to the correct curvature. That gives more strength.

View attachment 433946

Some pieces glued together and provided with the necessary slots and holes.

View attachment 433947

On top of this bow structure I have made a curl. The curl that the lion-figurehead will hold on to.

View attachment 433948

The drawing of Otte Blom shows a forward curl but I have not yet seen a contemporary image with a forward curl so I have decided to make a backward curl (in agreement with position on the replica of the 7P in Bataviastad). The curl is shown on the next image. The construction of the other parts of the bow is now in progress. The knee and the part of the bow in which the ornamentation will come are also shown.

View attachment 433949

View attachment 433943
You made a very nice puzzle, Herman. With a beautiful curl! Real craftsmanship.
Regards, Peter

The joinery on stem looks beautiful, Herman and is testimony to fine craftsmanship. The whole assembly creates very harmonious lines.

You made a very nice puzzle, Herman. With a beautiful curl! Real craftsmanship.
Regards, Peter

I agree with our colleagues. This is first-class joinery and craftsmanship, Herman. It is just a joy to watch your progress!

Thank you for the compliments. This joinery was a welcome change after a few months of joining the hull planks.

After the separate pieces were made with the bandsaw I further filed the pieces to get a better fit. But as you are bound to get a somwhat curved head filing by hand I scraped the joints flat and so got a good fit.

DE 7 PROVINCIËN is one of the most beautiful ships of the sailing era. She was very lucky with the outstanding master modelers who made her. Judging by your work on the hull plating, you are one of them. It is a pleasure to follow your work. Inspiration to you . My best regards, Alexander.

DE 7 PROVINCIËN is one of the most beautiful ships of the sailing era. She was very lucky with the outstanding master modelers who made her. Judging by your work on the hull plating, you are one of them. It is a pleasure to follow your work. Inspiration to you . My best regards, Alexander.

Thank you Alexander for the huge compliment. I agree with you regarding the beauty of De 7 Provinciën. I look upon her as a no-nonsense man of war with not too much ornamentation but just enough and with the right theme to make her a worthy flagship for the Dutch Provinces.
Ps. I certainly do not regard myself as a master modeler but with all the great inspiring examples and help here I have come a long way. But there still is a long way to go and much to learn. Never made a carving before; the tiny curl was the first. Never worked with metal nor made rigging. So we will see.

Some further work on the stem elements.
A slot has been milled/filed in which ornamentation will come. In front of that is a (narrow) space for the figurehead. On top of all this the next curved beam ending in a decorated curl. The inspiration for this curl came from the stem of the replica.
The elements are not glued yet.

curl.jpeg

20240313_202432_resized.jpg

20240313_202416_resized.jpg

20240313_202352_resized.jpg

Some further work on the stem elements.
A slot has been milled/filed in which ornamentation will come. In front of that is a (narrow) space for the figurehead. On top of all this the next curved beam ending in a decorated curl. The inspiration for this curl came from the stem of the replica.
The elements are not glued yet.

View attachment 434857

View attachment 434856

View attachment 434855

View attachment 434854
Now you shows that you also have nice craftsman capabilities as a wood carver, Herman. Well done!
Regards, Peter

Back