DE 7 PROVINCIËN (1665) 1:50

Thank you all for the positive comments and likes.

My focus on the build is becoming a bit fragmented. Before attaching the stem I want to make the wales to be able to adjust the stem to the protruding wales. Before attaching the wales I want to have the gunport lids ready so that they can be sanded flush with the hull. It might also be wise to nail the hull (still gathering courage for that part of the build) before attaching the wales for ease of sanding. And before finishing the hull (probably shellac) further reinforcements for the hull (the protection against damage by the anchors / anchor-cable) and the rests will be made.

In the meantime I did some further carving for the stem.

View attachment 439982 View attachment 439983

All parts of the stem that are now finished:

View attachment 439984

View attachment 439985
The before …… before ….. before ….. indicates that you have a plan. That’s good to hear, Herman. And your carvings are really good looking! Thumbsup
Regards, Peter

Ja Ja - these dependencies between the different working steps
but in the meantime you are doing a wonderful job with the stem -> looking great :cool:
Thank you Uwe.
Ja, it is no longer straightforward planking the hull any more. I like finishing one part before starting the next, but that strategy is no longer sustainable. Even the false keel is waiting to be attached after the stempost is in place. It is like putting together a kit later to be assembled.

The before …… before ….. before ….. indicates that you have a plan. That’s good to hear, Herman. And your carvings are really good looking! Thumbsup
Regards, Peter
Thanks Peter
There is a general plan I try to hold on to, but the many components of that plan are regularly adjusted because of what Uwe so eloquently described as the dependencies of the working steps. And of course my little learning experiences with wood carving.

Something to be proud of...... Well done!
Thank you Stephan.
I first wondered if it would look fine as the carving on the replica is totally different, but on the Van de Velde drawings the actual carvings are barely distinguishable so I held on to the drawings of Otte Blom. I might further refine it a bit before attaching it to the model, but in general I am happy with the outcome.

Ah yes, another fine addition. As I said before - each stage of the build reveals another talent.

I too find myself floating back and forth between sub-constructions. Sometimes it is planned ahead of time - others are stumbled across. Not to belabor the point - but recently I have been building a lower deck - but there are vertical elements (bitts and pump tubes) that pass by or through the lower deck - and then those elements also need to relate to something on the upper deck. So in the middle of fabricating knees for the lower deck I am making upper deck beams. All this to say we need to remain vigilant...and flexible to recover from the inevitable misstep...

Thank you all for the positive comments and likes.

My focus on the build is becoming a bit fragmented. Before attaching the stem I want to make the wales to be able to adjust the stem to the protruding wales. Before attaching the wales I want to have the gunport lids ready so that they can be sanded flush with the hull. It might also be wise to nail the hull (still gathering courage for that part of the build) before attaching the wales for ease of sanding. And before finishing the hull (probably shellac) further reinforcements for the hull (the protection against damage by the anchors / anchor-cable) and the rests will be made.

In the meantime I did some further carving for the stem.

View attachment 439982 View attachment 439983

All parts of the stem that are now finished:

View attachment 439984

View attachment 439985
Good afternoon Herman. The sum of the parts of your stem is wonderful. Lovely carving it fits so well into the stem. Cheers Grant

Now I know the advantage of being on another side of the world- the next day starts earlier than here in the USA. All the positive comments are already used, dah...
I'd like your methodical approach to building models. It seems that you staged and followed those steps to achieve great results! The carvings are nicely fitted. Great job, mon ami!

Good afternoon Herman. The sum of the parts of your stem is wonderful. Lovely carving it fits so well into the stem. Cheers Grant
Thank you Grant.
I think the expression the whole is more than the sum of its parts is applicable here. With that in mind I am looking forward to the moment I can attach the wales and stem to the hull.

Now I know the advantage of being on another side of the world- the next day starts earlier than here in the USA. All the positive comments are already used, dah...
I'd like your methodical approach to building models. It seems that you staged and followed those steps to achieve great results! The carvings are nicely fitted. Great job, mon ami!
Thank you Jim.
On the other hand we have to stay up late to receive the updates from your side of the world :cool:

Back