warning Danger of working with resin

As now about a good haft of the 75-80-120mm figurine are in resin precaution must YES be taken same as any putty that do have a base in acetone breathing the fume is harmful and must also be use with precaution. Glue for plastic kit must be use in a well ventilated place. Paint, knife, Dremel, etc. And they said that we have a safe hobby.:p

I have only needed to do minimal sanding, cutting and scraping of epoxy and resin on models.
There is already a strong fan beside me and an extraction fan below the workpiece in my garage for when I sand large wooden epoxy filled pieces such as a fruit bowl or timber table top with epoxy river. Wood dust is known to be carcinogenic and resin/epoxy chemicals can in no way be good for you so inhaling the two is best avoided.

I purposely selected a resin 3D printer (Anycubic Photon S) with dual fans for ventilation and 2 x activated carbon air filtration incorporated to get rid of the fumes.
Remember when working with any dust and fumes to always keep well ventilated and wear the proper mask.
99% of safety is common sense.

A valuable warning.
They recommend a respirator, not a FFP mask for sanding.
I use one of these when sanding in the garage wood shop
I also have front and back garage doors open, industrial fan blowing and dust extraction at the machine,

It started with the promise I made to the admiral to not bring any fine dust into the house, and it then turned into an obsession to have a dust free environment all the time.

I've had mine for nearly 15 years but it was still expensive then.
If you think that dust respirator is expensive just look at what is waiting for me to install:
20201212_113314.jpg
Which will replace my old custom built extractor:
20201212_113333.jpg
You can see in the 1st photo the front Garage door and the back garage door in the 2nd photo, they are always opened when making dust.

Thank you for posting this most topical warning. Although my current modelling interest has switched to 1/5th scale replicas of Canadian Cub Aircraft, I use resins and fiberglass to build engine cowlings. I will heed the warning and wear a respirator whenever I am sanding balsa wood that likely is held together with resin glues or superglues.

Be careful with liquid epoxy resin or putties too. I once was careless with epoxy after having used polyester resin for a long time. It was an industrial strength job too. Epoxy — via skin contact — (not from breathing it) broke me out in giant hives. It can be toxic. Or you might become allergic to epoxy after repeated exposures. I also ground the epoxy putty I’d made, but fortunately I wore a respirator.

Back