Cynoacrylate or CA glues

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

This might seem rather common knowledge, but I am wondering if ALL Brands of CA glue are the same. I have bought some from two different brands and it does seem that some brands are not as good. So, I was thinking that CA is CA.

I have bought CA from Hobby Lobby Brand and also from Hobby Town USA. I do know about Pacer Technology (Zap) Zap CA Adhesives, but never bought their branding. I have also noticed the price difference between the brands same bottle size and thicknesses.
It seems that everyone from Harbor Freight, Lowes, Home Depot all carry their own branding. But are they all the same strength? I personally do not think so. But, I welcome any comments or advice as I need to be able to glue some Britannia Metal parts together.

I'm with you Donnie. I worked in a hobby shop for several years and built lots of wood kits (mostly planes but also the AL Constellation) with CA glues. Mostlly, I have used the Bob Smith Industries version with various labels (Model Expo has it available) and the Jet brand. I think like anything else, many companies think they can make it cheaper and as a result, they have a product that does not work as well.

So, I am wondering if somehow the "strengths" are being varied from brand to brand. From many years ago, I remember that ZAP was the only brand I could think of and that goes way back to around 1987(ish)?
Now, since then everybody has their own brand. So what is the deal here? Is the ZAP the first and original brand that is the best and the others are just duplicated with a different chemical structure?

I think a lot of the difference comes from the time it's been sitting on the shelf. I was given some advice to buy your CA from the place that has the biggest turnover in order to get the freshest glue. Now that our local hobby shop has closed I'm not sure where to go. Some time during the years the hobby shop was open they changed from Zap to Bob Smith and I never noticed any difference.

So, I am wondering if somehow the "strengths" are being varied from brand to brand. From many years ago, I remember that ZAP was the only brand I could think of and that goes way back to around 1987(ish)?
Now, since then everybody has their own brand. So what is the deal here? Is the ZAP the first and original brand that is the best and the others are just duplicated with a different chemical structure?
There are quite a few CA glue tests, many on YouTube.....

Loctite was the pioneer in CA, and sell under their brand name in Lowes and Home Depot. They make many variations, and setting times. They have gel and liquid, fast cure and slower cure. Suggest you test the CA on whatever materials you are gluing first. Also, I believe that the CA glues use
ambient humidity to cure. So, if it is a very humid day, the CA will cure more rapidly. Strongly suggest you experiment with the actual materials you are using. Also, you will probably use several types on any ship model you build.

For a faster & strong setting, Home Depot carries a CA, "Rapid Fuse", by DAP, a gel type that does what it says. Just bought some "oily" ca glue, but havent tried it yet.

Loctite was the pioneer in CA, and sell under their brand name in Lowes and Home Depot. They make many variations, and setting times. They have gel and liquid, fast cure and slower cure. Suggest you test the CA on whatever materials you are gluing first. Also, I believe that the CA glues use
ambient humidity to cure. So, if it is a very humid day, the CA will cure more rapidly. Strongly suggest you experiment with the actual materials you are using. Also, you will probably use several types on any ship model you build.
Loctite just bought it from Eastman/Kodak. :)

This might seem rather common knowledge, but I am wondering if ALL Brands of CA glue are the same. I have bought some from two different brands and it does seem that some brands are not as good. So, I was thinking that CA is CA.

I have bought CA from Hobby Lobby Brand and also from Hobby Town USA. I do know about Pacer Technology (Zap) Zap CA Adhesives, but never bought their branding. I have also noticed the price difference between the brands same bottle size and thicknesses.
It seems that everyone from Harbor Freight, Lowes, Home Depot all carry their own branding. But are they all the same strength? I personally do not think so. But, I welcome any comments or advice as I need to be able to glue some Britannia Metal parts together.
I use the Gorilla Glue brand of CA since it is carried in my super market and I don't need to make an extra trip to get more when I run low. It works fine for me in every application where I have needed it. I have noted that all the brands use about the same size container but the amount in the container varies considerably. To get your money's worth check the actual contents before buying.

I have to agree that Loctite makes an excellent and consistent product for the price. its availability is another good selling point. A few years ago, someone recommended that I try Mercury Adhesives products, and I have found it to be anand I have found it to be a good adhesive for railings and finer work. their thin flex is great for railings
I have had good success with both, Loctite and Mercury products.
Recently, I tried using light curing resin glue for its stronger adhesion properties. So far I’ve had good success with this product as well. Compared to typical CA, glue, it, is of a medium viscosity, And has good sanding properties should you need to fill in an area. If you’re looking for a solid connection, and CA isn’t quite doing it, I would give light activated resin a try.

image.jpg

For those in the USA. I have been using Harbor Freight CA Glue in small .1 0z (that is point 1 oz). You can get packs of 10 thin for $2.99 and 10 Gel for $3.99. If you hit the store at the right time you can get another 10-15% off. I buy 40 tubes at a time (2 packs each). They last a long time. I tend to work on my ship every other day or so. I like those small tubes as they never go bad and I am always using a fresh tube. Just my humble opinion. Anyone else use these?

I second the Mercury Adhesives brand mentioned by AER3393. I bought mine at Woodcraft Supply in Woburn, MA but they are well-distributed. They seem to last in the bottles (capped of course). I use the 2-oz. size and after 6 months, they still flow and work. Good selection of applicator tips for precise application.

As an aside, I first came upon CA glues when I was a medic, just post-Vietnam. Although developed well before then, they made for ideal field sutures. Came in glass ampules but broke cleanly. We never thought it was a hobby adhesive, nor did we think a person in a hardhat ought to stick themselves to a hoisted beam, but that was just us.

I have a serious CA allergy and have tried a wide variety of CAs (including the so-called non allergenic ones) to see if I can tolerate any. I've found they are all over the place in terms of viscosity, strength, setting time, odour and quality of packaging to minimise waste. I finally found a non-CA solution which I love. It's called G-S Hypo Cement. It's strong, very low odour and doesn't stick your fingers together and has a great dispensing tube that is self-cleaning. Even if you can tolerate CA fumes, I think you'll find this a better alternative in terms of ease of use and effectiveness.

My experience is I have perceived no difference in the CA glues I have purchased. Every CA I have used works fine, holds the same, lasts the same. I currently have a generic CA from Amazon. I have used CA from Lowes, Hobby Lobby, Joann Fabrics and Crafts, and the typical brands from hobby stores and websites. But to be honest I never paid attention as to differences between brands. The one issue for me is the viscosity. I use thin, medium, thick, and gel for different applications…my go to favorite for structure is the CA gel. So in my experience I have not perceived any differences in actual use…but then I have not paid attention if any differences actually occurred between brands. Right now, in my experience CA is CA is CA…it’s all good…it all works…and this is probably not helpful to your question! :)

Last edited:
I think storage is also an issue. I have bought and used different brands with success. I usually store new unopened containers in the refrigerator. I find they last much longer.

I have also used the UV setting resins with great success. They harden almost instantly when exposed to UV light. They are not as strong as CA but excellent to set small objects. You can get them for a good price on Amazon as well as a UV flashlight to set them.

This is from Wikipedia
Eastman Kodak was the first company to sell super glue in 1958. The glue was originally called "Eastman #910", but was later renamed "Super Glue".
During the 1960s, Eastman Kodak sold cyanoacrylate to Loctite, which in turn repackaged and distributed it under a different brand name "Loctite Quick Set 404".

I have a serious CA allergy and have tried a wide variety of CAs (including the so-called non allergenic ones) to see if I can tolerate any. I've found they are all over the place in terms of viscosity, strength, setting time, odour and quality of packaging to minimise waste. I finally found a non-CA solution which I love. It's called G-S Hypo Cement. It's strong, very low odour and doesn't stick your fingers together and has a great dispensing tube that is self-cleaning. Even if you can tolerate CA fumes, I think you'll find this a better alternative in terms of ease of use and effectiveness.
Great,thank you for this post. I ordered some from Regal Castings (Mt eden) Last Thursday.. Having read your cvomments I'm now quite enthusiastic about trialing it despite the 10-15minute setup which may not be ideal for rigging. - Cheers.

I know the "Bob Smith Industries" brand is very common and many companies and big hobby shops order it with custom labels to make it look like their store brand, but the thin, medium and thick bottles are same in all companies names.

I always keep de-bonder and accelerator on had for use as needed.

For those in the USA. I have been using Harbor Freight CA Glue in small .1 0z (that is point 1 oz). You can get packs of 10 thin for $2.99 and 10 Gel for $3.99. If you hit the store at the right time you can get another 10-15% off. I buy 40 tubes at a time (2 packs each). They last a long time. I tend to work on my ship every other day or so. I like those small tubes as they never go bad and I am always using a fresh tube. Just my humble opinion. Anyone else use these?
Thanks for this tip! I’ll have to check out my local HF. Haven’t been impressed by the options at my local hobby shop and my work on my models is more infrequent in timing that what you shared so the HF might be a great option for me.

Back