Critical question Le Rochefort

Tony P

Staff member
Le Rochefort Moderator

In the Ancre book there are 3 separate mentions of line 6 on the plans needed to be moved up by 7.5 mm. Seems a pretty important measurement to just have notes on those pages about it. What does this mean ? Is this an added edited note saying the plans are wrong ? I’m stumped before I even start. This seems critical to me. Help
Thanks Tony

E6355791-425C-4592-A195-8C5F6B7F2D8C.jpeg

9CBECD79-BC1A-4F55-8CEF-40A1AC5DF17A.jpeg

20609D91-8D9F-41A4-88FF-18016D140904.jpeg

0BD571D2-3F05-4E09-A98E-44727F173E04.jpeg

Hi Tony. @Uwek Uwe is the walking encyclopedia when it comes to Ancre Monographs - maybe he can provide you with an answer?

In the Ancre book there are 3 separate mentions of line 6 on the plans needed to be moved up by 7.5 mm. Seems a pretty important measurement to just have notes on those pages about it. What does this mean ? Is this an added edited note saying the plans are wrong ? I’m stumped before I even start. This seems critical to me. Help
Thanks Tony

View attachment 321712

View attachment 321713

View attachment 321714

View attachment 321715
Hi Tony,

I would recommend you to check the width of the frames at line 6 with the width at the frame positions in the waterlines drawing. These should normally be equal. This should help you to solve the problem and determine if the line 6 should be moved.

Last edited:
Hi Tony,

I would recommend you to check the with of the frames at line 6 with the width at the frame positions in the waterlines drawing. These should normally be equal. This should help you to solve the problem and determine if the line 6 should be moved.
Width ? Or height you mean, yes ? I did compare all the plans one was different (it had the line in the correct? place) others had to be moved up. I’m still not certain and I have to be before starting anything.

You have to compare the width of the frames with the width of waterline 6 in the waterlines drawing at the respective frame positions.
0BD571D2-3F05-4E09-A98E-44727F173E04.jpeg

The shape of waterline 6 should be in the topview water lines drawing

See below how waterlines work, in this case actually with wales instead of a waterline which is in a horizontal plane.
Top and side view (1).jpg

If not clear send a picture of the top view waterline drawing and I will show you.

A picture tells more then a thousand words :)

Hallo
I will check my planset in detail during the weekend and will try afterwards to comment and hope to clarify.

I have the french Version of the booklet, missing this sentence.
Please Check the descríption in the booklet of drawing 13 and 15 showing the waterline.
Is this sentence also written there?

I wish I could be of some help - however, at some point in the future, I was wanting to try and build this ship too. Now, I am worried that I would not understand either. I hope this gets resolved so that I as well, will have a clear understanding. Maybe it was easier to make the noted sentence in the book (editing it) rather than trying to get the plans edited.
It might be that a previous customer building this caught the error and they had to remedy the situation. But, you would think they would go ahead and change the plans.
Another however, lets say that ANCRE published lets say 50 of the plans set, it might be less costly to make the change in TEXT rather than having 50 plans re-printed. Of course, I am observing this from a business standpoint. I hope you get the answer too as I am also interested in the outcome. Knowing myself, I would probably take the note literal and move the line. It could be like the others said, the line 6 (profile view) is not coincident with the line 6 water line plan view.
Also, why single out line 6 - is this supposed to be the main waterline? I am showing my ignorance here. If that is the case, then it does seem the waterline IS too low and needs to be moved up.

I have the french Version of the booklet, missing this sentence.
Please Check the descríption in the booklet of drawing 13 and 15 showing the waterline.
Is this sentence also written there?
It I my says it in the booklet on plan sheet 3,4,5,6

On these two drawings with the correct number 6 line my measurement is in agreement with the addition 7.5mm. It seems they’re correcting the height of line 6 on the broadside view in the frames.

4C330474-DB9D-49ED-87E7-47B3AA4BBFEE.jpeg

32669B4A-F6ED-433E-A988-69EE66C6426B.jpeg

A9C1F378-2BEE-4C68-81F3-F681154AF22A.jpeg

See below how waterlines work, in this case actually with wales instead of a waterline which is in a horizontal plane.
View attachment 321799

If not clear send a picture of the top view waterline drawing and I will show you.

View attachment 321799

Ok thanks. I’m not clear on what you’re saying.

CBBCAAAD-CAE3-431E-A509-3624D788B7CF.jpeg

View attachment 321799

View attachment 321799

View attachment 321799

View attachment 321799

Once again Google is your friend
Read, understand, and all will become clear.

Once again Google is your friend
Read, understand, and all will become clear.
We know how waterlines work. I want to know why there are changes in the booklet

Last edited:
I found a comment in the french forum made by Gérard Delacroix refering to a question of one modeler.

Question:
Pas encore vraiment commencé, mais déjà une question :
Le chantier sera fait comme préconisé selon la ligne d'eau n°6, parallèle à la quille
Sur la planche 1 - vue de la poupe - cette ligne est à 62 mm de la quille (la ligne d'eau 0 est au ras inférieur des couples) tandis que sur les planches 3 et 4 - vues des couples, cette ligne est à 54 mm de la quille (comme si la ligne d'eau 0 était au ras de la quille)... Me goure-je ? Vos explications seront bienvenues.

Une seconde question plus théorique : si les lignes d'eau sont parallèles à la quille, pourquoi la ligne de flottaison ne l'est-elle pas ? N'est-ce pas simplement une ligne d'eau particulière ?

Answer by Gérard:
Vous avez tout à fait raison, il y a une erreur de placement de la ligne 6 sur les planches 3 et 4, elle devrait être 7,5 mm plus haut. Elle a été placé à la fin du dessin, pour "habiller" mais finalement il y a eu confusion entre le dessus et le dessous de la quille lors de sa mise en place. Si vous faites un chantier à la "vraie" ligne 6, relevez simplement celle des planches 3 et 4 de 7,5 mm.
Concernant la ligne de flottaison, elle n'est pas parallèle aux lignes d'eau (qui sont théoriques) parce qu'un navire à voile navigue toujours avec l'arrière plus bas que l'avant. Cette différence d'enfoncement de la coque dans l'eau s'appelle la différence de tirant d'eau.
Discussions générales sur le Rochefort - Page 5 522816

Please translate the french texts with your usual translation web-page, because it is sometimes misleading translated by them.......

Back