Count of Standing Rigging on USS Constitution?

Has anyone ever counted how many pieces (lines/shrouds/halyards, etc.) make up the Connie's standing rigging? I was trying to describe how complex it is to someone but can't seem to find a number with Googling.

I would say that it could reach close to 600 - that is if you also include ratlines (of which I assume that would be part of the group), then all the intricate deadeye lanyards, - kind of overwhelming if you start to think about it.
I have the coney from M.E. that I bought several months ago when it was on sale. Large Box. I also bought Lauckstreet praticum on it to. This is probably going to be a retirement project for me.

Has anyone ever counted how many pieces (lines/shrouds/halyards, etc.) make up the Connie's standing rigging? I was trying to describe how complex it is to someone but can't seem to find a number with Googling.
HiSModel of the Czech Republic makes a set of deadeyes and such for standing rigging, and a set of blocks for running rigging. The standing rigging set includes 272 pieces and the running rigging 446 pieces. Each block will involve 1 to 2 ropes, sometimes more, and for ropes, the standing lanyards and ratlines and such would greatly increase that number.

I suspect your own answer of "If we knew beforehand how many lines we would have to rig, we never would have started," is most correct! :)

Luckily, I held on to 50 year old Revell clear rigging instuctions I used on my Mamoli version (horrible instructions start to finish), and left nothing out. How accurate tho"? Oh well, good enough, no one around me would ever know.

thumbnail_image(1).jpg

Back