Corel HMS Unicorn - 1/75 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

I've reached a milestone this week tied up the last line and added the last hank.

View attachment 343639
This line marks the end of the rigging.

View attachment 343640
View attachment 343642
View attachment 343641
This is how I made the hanks, the red sleeve make a bigger loop.

View attachment 343643
Experimenting with the flags trying to form them around pens using watered down PVA to hold the shape.
You are frankly doin it well. the coils are very well lined op- I am sorry to tell you, that I have noting to complain lately. from the very beginning, yes, but it is a long time since and I was not following att that time

I've reached a milestone this week tied up the last line and added the last hank.

View attachment 343639
This line marks the end of the rigging.

View attachment 343640
View attachment 343642
View attachment 343641
This is how I made the hanks, the red sleeve make a bigger loop.

View attachment 343643
Experimenting with the flags trying to form them around pens using watered down PVA to hold the shape.
Good morning Tony. I really like the way you did all those Hanks on the fife rail. Thumbsup. Thanks for showing your process- I may give some of these a go for some lines to my fife rail.

The flags- are these a polyester material? Does the PVA dilution not change the shade of the flags? I’m asking as I have been thinking of doing this but a little concerned.
Cheers Grant

Good morning Tony. I really like the way you did all those Hanks on the fife rail. Thumbsup. Thanks for showing your process- I may give some of these a go for some lines to my fife rail.

The flags- are these a polyester material? Does the PVA dilution not change the shade of the flags? I’m asking as I have been thinking of doing this but a little concerned.
Cheers Grant
Hi Grant the flags are a polyester type material. I tried a few ways to treat the flags diluted PVA worked best. The white parts of the flag that was not printed on was just a little bit more translucent than before. The flags have to be formed wet but be careful if they're clamped the glue will dry shiny.

DSC_2188~3.JPG

Hi Grant the flags are a polyester type material. I tried a few ways to treat the flags diluted PVA worked best. The white parts of the flag that was not printed on was just a little bit more translucent than before. The flags have to be formed wet but be careful if they're clamped the glue will dry shiny.

View attachment 343837
Thanks. It is a way off however been thinking how to do this. Worth a go. Cheers Grant

After purchasing this kit around 30 years ago it's finally complete, this was the first good quality wooden ship kit I had. It was started in 95-6 then packed away in 97 when we moved house, it took another 24 years for me to restart it.
I had planned to make it out of the box, the main changes are the rigging thread (hand made) and the copper hull (not accurate for the time period of the ship). The changes where mainly for me to get experience with these processes.
I'm pleased with the way the Unicorn turned out, but it was challenging at times. The plywood parts on the kit are excellent the wood was good quality but some of the deck fittings and blocks should have been replaced.

DSC_2262.JPG
DSC_2260.JPG
DSC_2289.JPG
DSC_2273.JPG
DSC_2283.JPG
DSC_2265.JPG
DSC_2270.JPG
DSC_2268.JPG
DSC_2263.JPG

What a beautiful save of an old model Tony. Your level of craftsmanship is right up there with the best of them and again your ability to make some of the most fascinating jigs and special tools is far and above anything I've seen. It has been a real pleasure watching this build.

Part 2 a few more photos.
DSC_2276.JPG
DSC_2274.JPG
DSC_2261.JPG
DSC_2253.JPG
DSC_2272.JPG
DSC_2256.JPG
DSC_2282.JPG
DSC_2275.JPG
DSC_2288.JPG

When my Unicorn was finished I had planned to start the USS Constitution but we're downsizing and our house is going on the market next month, the Constitution will have to wait till after the move. Hopefully there will be room for a workshop but I don't think it will be as good as the one I have now. Anyway I've lots of cleaning, tidying and sorting to keep me busy not to mention finding a new house.

Also from my side my Congratulations for finishing this fine model -> BRAVO - well done
and now?

After purchasing this kit around 30 years ago it's finally complete, this was the first good quality wooden ship kit I had. It was started in 95-6 then packed away in 97 when we moved house, it took another 24 years for me to restart it.
I had planned to make it out of the box, the main changes are the rigging thread (hand made) and the copper hull (not accurate for the time period of the ship). The changes where mainly for me to get experience with these processes.
I'm pleased with the way the Unicorn turned out, but it was challenging at times. The plywood parts on the kit are excellent the wood was good quality but some of the deck fittings and blocks should have been replaced.

View attachment 344007
View attachment 344008
View attachment 344009
View attachment 344010
View attachment 344011
View attachment 344012
View attachment 344013
View attachment 344014
View attachment 344015
Good morning Tony. I wish there were applauding emojis- this deserves a whole pile! A beautiful model. Stunning photos. Well done and congratulations BottleExplosionExplosion. Cheers Grant

Part 2 a few more photos.
View attachment 344018
View attachment 344019
View attachment 344020
View attachment 344021
View attachment 344022
View attachment 344023
View attachment 344024
View attachment 344025
View attachment 344026

When my Unicorn was finished I had planned to start the USS Constitution but we're downsizing and our house is going on the market next month, the Constitution will have to wait till after the move. Hopefully there will be room for a workshop but I don't think it will be as good as the one I have now. Anyway I've lots of cleaning, tidying and sorting to keep me busy not to mention finding a new house.
Your HMS Unicorn is stunning! I hope that you display her proudly. And, if nothing else, get an insulated shed for your yard to use as a workshop; that is what I have had to do . . .

What a beautiful save of an old model Tony. Your level of craftsmanship is right up there with the best of them and again your ability to make some of the most fascinating jigs and special tools is far and above anything I've seen. It has been a real pleasure watching this build.
Thanks Daniel looking forward to starting the Constitution next year after we've settled into our new house. I do have another project to keep me busy while the house is on the market. While sorting the workshop I found more bits and pieces I made up years ago, when I test them out on a model I'll post some photos.

Your HMS Unicorn is stunning! I hope that you display her proudly. And, if nothing else, get an insulated shed for your yard to use as a workshop; that is what I have had to do . . .
Thanks for the compliment it's going to be on display when the estate agent takes photos of the house that should increase the value, then I have to find a good way to transport the models interstate.

Thanks for the compliment it's going to be on display when the estate agent takes photos of the house that should increase the value, then I have to find a good way to transport the models interstate.
Accept the higher bid and throw it in! Then you'll have the joy of making another one (but even better).

Back