Copper tape

I bought the copper tape I used on the Discovery1789 from Amazon.ca. It is "Chanzon copper foil tape". It has some kind of anti-tarnish coating on it that I want to get rid of so I can develop some patina instead of this bright shiny copper. I've tried alcohol and lacquer thinner, and they don't seem to be taking off the coating. Has anyone had any luck getting this coating off?

I bought the copper tape I used on the Discovery1789 from Amazon.ca. It is "Chanzon copper foil tape". It has some kind of anti-tarnish coating on it that I want to get rid of so I can develop some patina instead of this bright shiny copper. I've tried alcohol and lacquer thinner, and they don't seem to be taking off the coating. Has anyone had any luck getting this coating off?
Maybe acetone or rub with #000 steel wool. Also, try the foil tape available (in many different widths) at stained glass shops.

Thanks Phil I'm a little afraid to use acetone because the wooden waterline strip right beside the copper is held on with CA. I'll try #000 or a grey Scotchbrite. I did try to put three test strips in a sealed container with a little vinegar and they all tarnished overnight but I don't want to seal the ship in a container with vinegar. :) :) The fact that it did tarnish gives me hope though. Just being impatient again, I guess.

Thanks Phil I'm a little afraid to use acetone because the wooden waterline strip right beside the copper is held on with CA. I'll try #000 or a grey Scotchbrite. I did try to put three test strips in a sealed container with a little vinegar and they all tarnished overnight but I don't want to seal the ship in a container with vinegar. :) :) The fact that it did tarnish gives me hope though. Just being impatient again, I guess.
I was thinking you were trying to work the patina prior to installation. Acetone does have it's issues.....

The copper tape I use has a thin clear plastic film above the copper. I cut off a piece of tape an slip a scalpel under one corner and then lift it off with tweezers. Next I cut the piece to size and trim it to shape. Then I peel off the backing by the same method. After positioning it, I use a small brush to apply blackening solution.

Back