Continuous Rope Walk

Seize with the Skala 360. I use 120 as well for larger ropes...
Thanks Paul. I have some 120 on the way. It's the same color as my rope though. #722
Going back through your build, it seems you did not use a contrasting color for the seizing. Is that correct?

Thanks Paul. I have some 120 on the way. It's the same color as my rope though. #722
Going back through your build, it seems you did not use a contrasting color for the seizing. Is that correct?
I didn't think about it that much. I used the same color seizing for both the standing and the running rigging. I have come to the conclusion that we know less about rigging in the 17th century than we think we know. You will see there is very little variation throughout my rigging - the standing rigging was treated with bitumen but only marginally. The running rigging was left "raw' hemp. Your recent ropes look very convincing.

I didn't think about it that much. I used the same color seizing for both the standing and the running rigging. I have come to the conclusion that we know less about rigging in the 17th century than we think we know. You will see there is very little variation throughout my rigging - the standing rigging was treated with bitumen but only marginally. The running rigging was left "raw' hemp. Your recent ropes look very convincing.
Paul, your build is so smooth and seamless I didn't even pay it any attention the first time through. It wasn't till I went back through that I even noticed. And I don't think it matters either way. It's all personal choice. I do have the luxury of having a full size replica to look at, though it may not be 100% historically accurate it's something to shoot for. And thanks for the compliment on the rope.

Jamie,

Love your continuous ropewalk. Clever design and Alex Domanov is to be complimented for his videos/production of these. The right handed rigging rope is in general the commonly used convention for running rigging - not so for standing rigging. The information by Ben, Stephen and Dubz describe it well.

I have built a horizontal and a vertical ropewalk and both work well for ‘short length’ rope (up to about 3 metres), which is more than enough for my build. I am currently in the process of building a variation of Stephen’s serving machine and, like you, I enjoy the challenge of constructing our own tools.

For your continuous ropewalk, did you make the winding unit using a 3D printer? It looks like you may have. If so, would it be possible to share your build file (.STL, .OBJ etc)? If not, I understand.

Best of luck. Keep up the interest!!

Regards,

PeterG

Jamie,

Love your continuous ropewalk. Clever design and Alex Domanov is to be complimented for his videos/production of these. The right handed rigging rope is in general the commonly used convention for running rigging - not so for standing rigging. The information by Ben, Stephen and Dubz describe it well.

I have built a horizontal and a vertical ropewalk and both work well for ‘short length’ rope (up to about 3 metres), which is more than enough for my build. I am currently in the process of building a variation of Stephen’s serving machine and, like you, I enjoy the challenge of constructing our own tools.

For your continuous ropewalk, did you make the winding unit using a 3D printer? It looks like you may have. If so, would it be possible to share your build file (.STL, .OBJ etc)? If not, I understand.

Best of luck. Keep up the interest!!

Regards,

PeterG
Thanks for the kind words. And yes, HUGE props to Domanov for his work here.

I did use a 3d printer (creality CR-10s Pro V2) and designed the parts in fusion 360.

I haven't decided yet whether or not I will release it to the public yet. I like to think that I am, but I still have some testing to do. If I do, I would like to release it as a complete package. For example, a complete list of all parts used with links and such, info on thread used and rope yielded, speeds for twist and take up, etc, so that folks don't have to experiment like I did.

I know there are charts out there but a good example is a chart that Daniel shared stated Skala 360 with a 1x3 build would yield .19mm rope, however it yielded .14mm on my machine. Splitting hairs over .05mm I know, but if I release it, I want it to be close on what can be expected.

Excellent response Jamie.

I completely understand your logic. As time goes by, more and more ship modellers are going to provide 3D files but for something as complex as a continuous ropewalk, you would want to know it is ‘tried and true’.

Out of interest are you happy with your Crealty CR-10? I have been looking at a Flash Forge but they are a bit more expensive. For software I have been using FreeCad as the cost/licensing of Fusion looked a bit daunting.

Thanks again. I will keep monitoring your log entries.

Regards,

PeterG

I am extremely pleased with the CR10, it has been mostly trouble free since day 1. I'd love to have a whole farm of them.

On the Fusion 360 note. There is a free version. The caveat is that you are only allowed to have 10 editable files, but I have learned some pretty good file management. As soon. As I am happy with a file I make it "read only" then continue on to the next part. If I need to make a revision, I revert it back to editable, make the adjustments and then change it back. It's somewhat of a hassle, but I have gotten used to it and it's no longer an issue for me.

Very nice machine. Have you built it yet, or are you still in the design process? I wish I still had access to solidworks, absolutely loved that program, but with no free option for hobbyists (unless something recently changed) it forced me to learn a new program.
Have you tried Fusion 360?

Have you tried Fusion 360?
Yes, this machine was designed in Fusion 360. It is a really good program, coming from Solidworks, the interface took some getting used to, but ultimately gets the job done once you learn the ropes(pun?) lol.

That's some seriously good rope - and thin!! What's your source thread and have you unwound/rewound to get RH Z-twist?

PeterG
Hey Peter,
I'm using Gutermann Skala 360, best I can tell, this is single strand thread for blind hemming, so there is not any unwinding just run it through. On thicker, multi strand thread, there is some unwinding required, but the machine is designed to have a 3:1 Ratio so it unwinds and rewinds nicely before it meets the other strands for twisting. There is a limit though, it doesn't really like the thicker stuff like TEX 200 thread. But it will make rope, not as smooth, but close enough for government work. ROTF

I think our government is a lot rougher than yours (or maybe not at the moment!!!)....

What colour are you using? It looks like 722 but it could be 1218. Its effective....

View attachment 335236

Regards,

PeterG
Edit: Wrong Info. The color is 464, I can't find 722 in Skala 200, 240 or 300. I'm still looking though if anyone has a source. Doc suggested Serafil 300 color 0326. That may be my next test.

Last edited:
Back