Completed model of Charles Morgan [SOLD]

The time has come for me reduce the number of models in my home to prepare for an upcoming downsizing. I would like to sell a model of the Charles W. Morgan in perfect condition that was built some years ago from an Artesania Latina kit that is no longer produced. The kit was upgraded by making scratch built whaleboats from plans. The asking price is $350 and the model is located in the Trenton NJ/Philadelhia PA area.Morgan deck view.jpegMorgan hull view.jpegBoat.jpegBow.jpegRear deck.jpeg

I've been looking for a nicely built Charles W. Morgan for some time, and yours looks great! I'd like to buy it and give it a good home. I'm in Connecticut, so just a couple hour drive from you. Please let me know when I could pick it up. I can pay cash on pickup or send a deposit via Paypal if you'd like.
Thanks very much!
Mike

The model has been safely sailed to its new home port in Connecticut, close to where the original is on display at Mystic Seaport. It fit into the back of Mike's Prius with 1/8" to spare. Thankfully I didn't have to lower the top gallant.

Your work is top-rail, to be sure. My jaw dropped at the price, I must say. I've seen similar kit builds go for ten times as much; heck, I've sold my own similar builds for ten times as much, and that was way back in my college days when dinosaurs still roamed the earth. Giving a fellow model shipwright and maritime enthusiast the opportunity to own such a beautiful model for a pittance speaks well of you. You are one of nature's gentlemen.

Thanks very much to Charlie who not only prepped the model for safe transport, but graciously gave me a tour of his other ship models and workbench. He's an exceptionally talented builder!
I've just ordered glass to build a case, will start the woodworking shortly.
Thanks again to Charlie!
Mike

Your work is top-rail, to be sure. My jaw dropped at the price, I must say. I've seen similar kit builds go for ten times as much; heck, I've sold my own similar builds for ten times as much, and that was way back in my college days when dinosaurs still roamed the earth. Giving a fellow model shipwright and maritime enthusiast the opportunity to own such a beautiful model for a pittance speaks well of you. You are one of nature's gentlemen.
I thank you for the very nice compliments. In reducing my inventory, over the last several years I have donated 9 scratch built models to 4 different museums, and I thought the Morgan, being kit built, would be more appropriately passed along to a model collector. I think that was the 3rd model I made, and I have enjoyed looking at it for the last 30 years or so I have gotten my money's worth. My congratulations to you on being able to sell your models in the thousands of dollars range. My perusal of the model market indicates there are many more sellers than buyers and the laws of supply and demand help to keep prices down. What is your marketing secret?

Well, it behooves me to first correct your tense: my marketing "secret" WAS having established a pool of potential buyers who thought enough of the work I did to be willing to engage now and then in minor league bidding wars. I think there may also have been a degree of sympathy involved; I was a university student at the time, supplementing a scholarship by sacrificing much of my social life bent over a workbench. It was worth it in the end: it probably kept me out of trouble and, more importantly, allowed me to enter adult life without any student loan debts. That was nearly fifty years ago. I later had the great privilege and great benefit of corresponding with a man who became a friend and mentor, the late master shipwright Donald McNarry. Over the years I have built for museums and, on a couple occasions, for film and television. I'm resting on my laurels now, alas, as the onset of arthritis has led to retirement from modeling. Now I'm a sort of modeling voyeur, warming myself on old memories while admiring the work of those like yourself who are still active.

What a great purchase Mike! It's an historic ship and a beautiful model to have in your home to enjoy for years to come. Congrats, Magic Mike

Back