Close hauled

Because of severe space limitations I need to build my Prince de Neufchatel rigged close hauled instead of the standard squared yards. Are there any issues that I should consider? Any pictures of a finished close hauled kit?
Thanks for any advice.

I have used the close hauled rigged most of the time. I have done this not only for shace savings but to showcase the detail of a fully rigged ship with sails. I consider the windward side as the "Display side" when placed on a shelf.

View attachment 371222

View attachment 371223

View attachment 371224

View attachment 371227

View attachment 371228
a good solution

Are there any issues that I should consider?
Buy enough rigging rope - the running rigging lines will be much longer

Such a boat could not navigate (or very difficultly) with square sails completely perpendicular to the center line and without being upwind.
It would only be possible with the wind completely astern, with problems of windbreaking due to the sails themselves, something very unusual, except for lateen sail yachts with spinaker.
So rigging it upwind is completely realistic and advantageous.
With better aspect to windward
Greetings

I do agree with your assesment of the sailing atributes. My choice of the rig used was totally athsetic. I build as art not historical accuracy. 99% of people viewing my builds would not know or care about the sailing abilities of the featured rig. I'm not discounting the importance of historical accuracy but there are many aspects to this hobby and mine is just another aspect of that hobby.

Actually this is a great idea for rigging out one’s model! I don’t know why I haven’t thought to do this myself. Solves several issues with rigging with or without sails and is a super space saver. I think it also enhances the display options! Great idea and great post! I will try this approach in my next full rigged model! :)

Close hauled can reduce the width of your ship model display. There are limited with a square rig as to how far you can rotate the yards. Even a little angle imparted to the yards and sails breathes life and realism into a model that would static and lifeless with traditionally centered yards. The angled yards provide a bit more visibility of the decks, and as Dave said, displaying the model from the windward side does seem to show more details. When you rig a model in this fashion, you gain a greater understanding of how the running rigging functions.

side-in-day-jpg.294601

When the boat sails with a crosswind, the leeward shrouds become slack, so the turning of the yards can overcome the obstacle of the first few shrouds a little more.
Nice model, Darivs
Yes, the shrouds on the model limit how far you can rotate the yards, because unlike a real ship, they don't have any slack from the bending of the masts.

Dave and Kurt, thanks for the great photos and I agree with Dave on building as an art piece rather than an historical example. Magic Mike

Because of severe space limitations I need to build my Prince de Neufchatel rigged close hauled instead of the standard squared yards. Are there any issues that I should consider? Any pictures of a finished close hauled kit?
Thanks for any advice.
Hallo @bargejo
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back