Cheap drill bits

I bought these very cheap bits.

They have an 1/8" shaft. $22can for five sets(50 bits) so I wasn't expecting much but 3 holes and 3 broken bits seems excessive :) so I thought there may be a trick to using them. I chucked the biggest one up in my cordless Ridgid drill and tried one on a piece of pine. It actually pulls itself into the wood and then breaks off when the necked down part hits the wood. I've never had a drill suck itself into the wood like these. I'm wondering if the high speed of a Dremel would be better or worse? Maybe a pin vise?
Any advice at all. Other than don't buy cheap $hit:)

DSC04736.JPG

These are actually use in a drill press. Because they break easily. But in a highspeed handdrill they work to if you are careful and have a steady hand. I buy them on Aliexpress. A little cheaper then Amazon.

They have an 1/8" shaft. $22can for five sets(50 bits) so I wasn't expecting much but 3 holes and 3 broken bits seems excessive :) so I thought there may be a trick to using them. I chucked the biggest one up in my cordless Ridgid drill and tried one on a piece of pine. It actually pulls itself into the wood and then breaks off when the necked down part hits the wood. I've never had a drill suck itself into the wood like these. I'm wondering if the high speed of a Dremel would be better or worse? Maybe a pin vise?
Any advice at all. Other than don't buy cheap $hit:)

View attachment 363579
The problem is that those bits are designed for drilling PBC circuit boards at high speed, they are not designed for wood, metal, or steel. Even the most expensive drill bit of this kind will do the same. They are not true 'Twisted' drill bits and no matter how careful you are when drilling, they will brake. They are made with Hight carbon steel and really brittle.

In the past years, I am using the brand UStar, they are making tools for hobbyists. They have a set of 10 drill bits, ranging from 0.4mm -1.3mm. The part number is UA-90280 and you can buy them at Ali (link below)

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...!sea!US!2046486874&curPageLogUid=9gS8otumqpJa

I have drilled steel, brass, copper, and most types of wood I am using. I use them in my drill press\mill and my rotary tools and didn't break a single bit!! This is my day-to-day drilling set. Highly recommend it!

H014c5c79f3af456aae80da9ca89733d3U.jpg

Other sets I use and recommend, are from the company GodHand. They come in packages A, B, C, and D. Between all the packages you will have all the common diameter drill bits, ranging a 0.5mm to 3.0mm. These are made in Japan and you have to pay a premium but... They are excellent quality and will last you for a long time. They come on a 3.00mm shank and will fit standard chucks and colets.
* Images were taken courtesy of Amazon

61QG4EYa3WL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
512oEzusH4L._AC_.jpg
51hcf1-GICL._AC_.jpg
gh-dbq-8d-w-1.jpg
61F5OzJA0wL._AC_SL1468_.jpg

Happy Drilling!

I missed a couple of posts
Gracias Juan
Thanks Jim I was thinking I would order some of those after these all break but the broken part stays in the workpiece and would be a bear to get out. I'll have to use these on thin stuff where I'm sure I can get the broken part out. Definitely not on the ship itself :) .

Since I occasionally break small drills, I buy cheap shit. I'm not drilling through stainless steel, and don't require the best, such as cobalt steel drill bits. For just wood ship models, quantity outweighs quality, so I have two sets of these, a lifetime supply. You have plenty of spares of all sizes, and they are sharp enough for the job. $12.95 USD with free shipping. If I need to know the precise size, I just use my dial calipers. Whether used in a pin vise, Archimedes drill or in the 3-jaw chuck on the Dremel, they just plain work.

Cheap Chinese Drill Set
71dfFxzr+5L._SL1500_.jpg

Since I occasionally break small drills, I buy cheap shit. I'm not drilling through stainless steel, and don't require the best, such as cobalt steel drill bits. For just wood ship models, quantity outweighs quality, so I have two sets of these, a lifetime supply. You have plenty of spares of all sizes, and they are sharp enough for the job. $12.95 USD with free shipping. If I need to know the precise size, I just use my dial calipers. Whether used in a pin vise, Archimedes drill or in the 3-jaw chuck on the Dremel, they just plain work.

Cheap Chinese Drill Set
71dfFxzr+5L._SL1500_.jpg
With this set, it is a lottery, I mean you are not guaranteed to have what Kurt describes, except the cheap price. My set bought online came with drill bits completely dull ( specifically small drill bits). They are 100% unusable as drill bits, but...I use them as mandrels :p

I tried the ones I bought (top post) in my milling machine for drilling pin rails and it worked a treat. 220 perfect holes with no broken bits. I guess if you use tools for what they were designed for you'll have no problems. :)

DSC04738.JPG

I tried the ones I bought (top post) in my milling machine for drilling pin rails and it worked a treat. 220 perfect holes with no broken bits. I guess if you use tools for what they were designed for you'll have no problems. :)
Exactly, they break only when I don't take attention what I'm doing. By the way the bits smaller then 0,7 mm. breaking more easily then thicker bits. But in a drill press they are endless for wood.
The smallest I got is 0,1 mm. And off course that one is only to use in a drill press with the workpiece stabilized.

I use these with my Foredom micro-motor. My finding is that they do break when any lateral pressure is put on them. They work well when drilling perfectly perpendicular to the material your drilling. Also, I use them @ 30,000-40,000 rpm. For some reason at lower speeds they fail more. I can buy them 10 pieces each of 0.3mm, 0.4mm, 0.5mm, 0.6mm and 0.7mm for $15 per box. At this price I look at them as disposable bits.

Hanno un albero da 1/8 ". Lattina da $ 22 per cinque set (50 bit), quindi non mi aspettavo molto, ma 3 fori e 3 punte rotte sembrano eccessivi, quindi ho pensato che potesse esserci :) un trucco per usarli. Ho buttato il più grande uno nel mio trapano a batteria Ridgid e ne ho provato uno su un pezzo di pino. In realtà si infila nel legno e poi si rompe quando la parte con il collo verso il basso colpisce il legno. Non ho mai avuto un trapano che si risucchi nel legno come questi Mi chiedo se l'alta velocità di un Dremel sarebbe migliore o peggiore?Forse una morsa a spillo?
Qualsiasi consiglio a tutti. Oltre a non comprare $hit a buon mercato:)

View attachment 363579
Anche io ho acquistato queste punte, un disastro, me ne sono rimaste 3 che ho paura perfino di prenderle dalla confezione causa rottura che disastro

Li ho usati un po 'nel mio nuovo Dremel Stylo e non ne ho ancora rotto un altro, ma penso che sia solo questione di tempo. Nel mulino sono fantastici, ho appena praticato 30 fori in qualche tubo di ottone senza problemi.(Google translate)

I have been using them in my new Dremel Stylo a bit and haven't broken another yet but I think it's just a matter of time. In the mill they are great, I just drilled 30 holes in some brass tube with no problem.

Back