Charles Royal Yacht, 1674, Scale 1:64, by Woody Joe (Japan)

All of the wooden parts, Including the tracks, were made using MF70 and a table saw. I use blocks of pearwood and mill them to the desired shape before slicing them on the tablesaw. I believe I made a couple of tutorials for making the cannon parts using the Proxxon MF70 mill. Some of the tutorials in my Alert builds.

I will try to find them and provide links.

Hi Jim, after all this time I only happened across your log yesterday. I started reading from your first entry in 2018 and over the years you have given some truly excellent information and techniques.

I found a chair at the back of the room under a tarpaulin so will edge forwards and follow along :).

Hi Jim, after all this time I only happened across your log yesterday. I started reading from your first entry in 2018 and over the years you have given some truly excellent information and techniques.

I found a chair at the back of the room under a tarpaulin so will edge forwards and follow along :).
Thank you for your trust, there are plenty of seats on the opposite side as most members are left due to a long time of inactivity ;)

I like your approach to your canon redo, especially the jig you made to ease the process and to ensure repeatability and consistency. Thumbsup
Thank you, this was the idea of those jigs. A repetition of the work makes you think about jigs not as much to speed up the process, but more to make all the parts and the same. more jigs to come...stay tuned.

Could you please tell how you made the carriage wheels? As you did not use the lathe I am curious if you used technic described in this video for drilling a center hole in round dowel:

Hello, Yuri. Thank you for the great video, something you learn every day. Not sure if I will disappoint you, but I am not using dowels to make cannon tracks (wheels). I found the tutorial I posted earlier, the way I like to make the tracks.

Hope this will address your question.

Thanks, Jim. Results look fantastic! You actually turned the mill into an improvised lathe.
Exactly! With the lathe, you will have more functioning length to make tracks. With a bit longer bolt, you may have more blanks sandwiched for a single cut. With one specific jig, you will make them identical in diameter. I will post this jig (tool) later today.

Exactly! With the lathe, you will have more functioning length to make tracks. With a bit longer bolt, you may have more blanks sandwiched for a single cut. With one specific jig, you will make them identical in diameter. I will post this jig (tool) later today.
@Y.T. Here is the device I use in the mill to make the tracks' diameters identical.

600_4091.png

It is attached to the worktable on the back because, in my setup, the installed vise will not permit me to use it. It simply acts as the stopper. Click on the photo to enlarge.
IMG_0113.JPEG IMG_0112.JPEG

Additionally, you can make your own mandrels depending on the track size you require for the project. The smaller the mandrel, the smaller the diameter you can make.

600_4094.png

If you have questions, please let me know.

Well...well... well... I was trying to remove some dust accumulating at my Charles Royal Yacht was stored in the plastic bag (Dry Dock) when one of the guns disengaged from the deck and dropped in my hand... No, the guns were not glued permanently, they were just attached via brass ping in the middle of the front axletree. I wasn't disappointed, on the contrary, I was very happy! Why? Those guns were bothering my eyes every time I cleaned the model, something was not played nicely, and the gun in my hand was the exact proof of it! So..., I scream Re-DO it!!

Yes, I made a sharp turn and decided to redo the guns. I didn't like the kit's supplied carriages from the beginning. First, they represent the Continental (French) pattern of carriages, while the Charles Royal Yacht was a British one. Then, the square axletree for the tracks, really? Also, the barrel supplied in the kit was a bit small for the caliber. Check this out on your own.

View attachment 395042 View attachment 395043

All this combined led me to make my carriages, just using the kit-supplied barrels. There is no need to repeat the process of making the carriages again, it was well described earlier in the log, Considering the small size of the entire canon, it turned out great, with additional details such as Linchpins, and Capsquare assembly (Capsquare Eyebolt, Capsquare joint bolt, and Capsquare key). It does look OK on the deck as well.

View attachment 395055 View attachment 395056

But...until the recent cleanup. Well, it happens...., I realized that the carriage looked out of scale (smaller), and the barrel's shape was a concern from the beginning. So unexpected event, made me reconsider, and I decided to redo the cannons.

First, I acquired new barrels. I couldn't find the exact size and bought a close match, but I mostly like the shape and how well they were CNC-turned: clean and accurate. The only drawback is the trunnion hole wasn't drilled off-center, but each barrel has its own turned trunnion (not the wire). The bore was the same size as the original barrels.

View attachment 395064
View attachment 395065

To avoid another mistake of creating the wrong size carriages, and make sure it will fit nicely, I made the model. By creating the model, I could learn and adjust the processes (if needed) for the rest of all 8 guns. The build process is divided into two parts: all wooden parts and metal parts. All parts made from wood are below. I tried to mimic all the parts the actual gun was made of.
View attachment 395066

To assemble everything, I made a simple jig. You guessed it right, I use my MF70 to mill the grooves for the front and hind axletrees. Also, the grooves for the tracks positioning. I must admit, the jig met all my expectations and served well at all stages, mostly drilling various holes...

View attachment 395070 View attachment 395071

One of the tasks, using the jig, is to adjust the height of the transom.

View attachment 395080 View attachment 395081

The tracks were held to the milling wise using the double-stick tape, then I made them all the same height.

View attachment 395090

The wooden part has been completed, App parts are glued using PVA glue, the below images reflect how the carriage looks assembled and glued.

View attachment 395094 View attachment 395095

Will do the metal parts the next... Thank you for stopping by, to be continued...
This is how to make gun carriages….. Stunning Jim.

Jim,
All I can say is, "WOW"!! I've always realized you've had a leading presence here on SoS. I've watch countless tutorial videos you've posted, learning a lot. I've asked myself a few times, where is the project Jim is working on requiring all these cool methodologies? For some unexplained reason, I've never purposefully searched for your build. Forgive me.

Now that I've found it, WOW! I really appreciate your work. It's very clear to me you've made this kit your own with your enhancements. Moreover, I really appreciate your innovative approach to problem solving. Your engineering background shines through. And like always, you've given me a few methods I have noted for future application on my own project.

Super work my friend!!

Cheers!

Hello, Ken.Thank you for your kind words, which make me blush.
I came from a country where innovation and technology had already existed for 20 years in other countries. We were joking that most of the mechanical work can be done only with a screwdriver and hammer. We struggle to find designated tools for a given job. We made tolls on our own, I couldn't afford nor can find good tools. But, I must say, that the engineering school was of high grade and I have learned a lot! I am happy to share my knowledge with the hope it may come in handy one day to others. Thanks again.

Good evening, all.
Many thanks to all of you for your comments and 'likes'! I am happy you supported my decision to re-do and follow along with the log updates! I am also happy that some of you may use the techniques described here in your current or future builds.

I have a few hours in the evening so I can continue with the cannons re-do. A few days back, we completed the wooden part of the gun, and today, we will start the metal components part. We will make all the parts from scratch (except the barrels which I bought). So, let's begin with the barrels.
The barrels come with the trunnion also turned CNC (a nice touch). I will use the hard (easy) solder and torch to solder trunnion into the barrel. Using the cut-out dick to make a deep groove for a piece of solder. This way the solder will melt inside the barrel making the outside nice and clean. The spots you are seeing in the below (right) image are oxidation as a result of heat.

600_4124.png 600_4125.png

While the barrel was still hot, I gave it a bath of vinegar, to remove accumulated oxidation. Vinegar acts as the acid and cleans brass. One of the barrel enhancements is to make the Pan (touch hole or vent). The problem, however, is I would have to use 0.2mm endmil. I do have such a mill but only one and was afraid to break it. But... I succeeded without fail. I like the results. what about you?

600_4133.png

Here is how the gun looks today after fitting the barrel on the carriage.

600_4140.png

I couldn't resist trying out this gun (as is) on the model to make sure it fit on the deck and in harmony with the rest. I think it looks better...but we shall see once the gun is fully assembled.

600_4142_A.png

That's all for this evening, folks. Yeah, the time flies... Thanks again, all to be continued... ;)

P.S. The last image to answer the question of Yuri @Y.T. How I made multiple parts at once. The photo should explain.

600_4102.png

Back