Chaperon 1884 Stern Wheeler

Nice to see your Pilot House growing, Jan. And you got the influence off scratch building the interior.:)
Regards, Peter
Thank you Peter. The Pilot house as a little white cube just didn’t look right to me. The examples I found on the Internet of both scale and full sized Pilot houses got me started on this little project.

Last edited:
Rainy dreary day today. Great excuse to spend an hour or so in the shipyard .

Making slow progress on the Pilot house items.

B09DD814-22C9-4066-B8EF-9408AC7C9977.jpeg

The ships wheel needs a final sanding and then a clear coat. My version of a Parlor stove has the first coat of "Gloss Back". Next up is the Spittoon and then a bench.

I can't wait to see this all done. This makes me think of the cock on top of the wheelhouse - one of my all-time favorite things on any model! :D

Rainy dreary day today. Great excuse to spend an hour or so in the shipyard .

Making slow progress on the Pilot house items.

View attachment 300168

The ships wheel needs a final sanding and then a clear coat. My version of a Parlor stove has the first coat of "Gloss Back". Next up is the Spittoon and then a bench.
Wow Jan. Stunning.

Jan, this is just totally unfair that you should have views like that. After i finished in the shipyard today I walked around my new community for the first time. This was the best view that I could come up with!

微信图片_20220403204902.jpg

Jan, this is just totally unfair that you should have views like that. After i finished in the shipyard today I walked around my new community for the first time. This was the best view that I could come up with!

View attachment 300521
That also looks like a nice quiet place to sit and contemplate, probably only in the wee AM hours :D

For the Admiral and me its just a short jaunt to the sea side. We enjoy the October to April months visiting our favorite sea side places just to sit and chat. The other five months are Tourist months, many come from Canada as well as the states south of us to enjoy the same scenery.

Wow, managed to mine out some time to "PLAY" in the ship yard.

First on the agenda was to prime and and add the first coat of colors to the Pilot house.

7603AF64-3308-4757-B8CC-8CA5745F4C29_1_201_a.jpeg

The outside will be White, the inside is sort of a Vanilla Yellow and the the front window "Whatyamacallits" (Don't have a clue as to their nomenclature) will be a pale Green. With that done I tried a test fit of the ships wheel. I think that will show up nicely once exterior is painted with the final coat.

Second, I did manage to cobble together a bench, I think I might have "oversized" it a bit. I made it 1inch wide X 3/4 of an inch high X 1/2 inch deep. I guess its somewhat to scale at @1/4 inch to a foot.

A578D403-6B0E-4C77-9D93-CE9C2980E992_1_201_a.jpeg

I'm sort of liking the look inside the little house.

Next maybe a chart table, seems to me that the "Capitan" would have a chart for noting the ever changing sandbars in the river.

That looks super Jan! I love the olive green "windows" against the white background! Thumbsup I can't wait to see what your map table looks like.

Wow, managed to mine out some time to "PLAY" in the ship yard.

First on the agenda was to prime and and add the first coat of colors to the Pilot house.

View attachment 300919

The outside will be White, the inside is sort of a Vanilla Yellow and the the front window "Whatyamacallits" (Don't have a clue as to their nomenclature) will be a pale Green. With that done I tried a test fit of the ships wheel. I think that will show up nicely once exterior is painted with the final coat.

Second, I did manage to cobble together a bench, I think I might have "oversized" it a bit. I made it 1inch wide X 3/4 of an inch high X 1/2 inch deep. I guess its somewhat to scale at @1/4 inch to a foot.

View attachment 300920

I'm sort of liking the look inside the little house.

Next maybe a chart table, seems to me that the "Capitan" would have a chart for noting the ever changing sandbars in the river.
I like it Jan.Thumbsup

Back