Central Naval Museum of St. Petersburg (Russia)

I've had two imps hanging around my head for a long time. One telling me not to get complicated and just build kits, and the other telling me to start at once with some plans.

;)

a very interesting russian bomb vessel - there several similarities to the english, but only some
Many Thanks for sharing

a very interesting russian bomb vessel - there several similarities to the english, but only some
Many Thanks for sharing
This is true. The Russian school of shipbuilding in the 18th century was closely connected with the British. This is due to the fact that the English shipbuilder Lambe James was in Russian service from 1737 to 1787. Later, Admiral Sir Charles Knowles arrived in Russia, who also left an English mark.

Many Thanks for showing us the othe rmodel of the mortar ship Perun - which is similar to or shown in the drawings the drawings
For me not clear, and maybe you know something about how these mortars worked
I guess they were able to turn from fore to the sides - otherwise they could not be fired because the mast and the rigging (different to the french Salamandre, which was a ketch with a mast behind the mortars)
but on this model we can not see that the deck was possible to remove, so that the two mortars can be turned to the left or right.
Are there more drawings available? - Sorry for being somehow off-topic........
Very interesting photos - I like this visit of the museum very much

maybe you know something about how these mortars worked
I didn't try to understand the technology, unfortunately. However, I know that three-masted bomb vessels were in many fleets.
For example, the ships of the Franklin expedition - "Terror" and "Erebus" (Hecla/Vesuvius type) were also three-masted.
And "Infernal" class - HMS Blast 1759 (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BLAST_1759_RMG_J1444.png)
Their drawings can be found here:

Last edited:
a really beautiful frigate, the Sveaborg - interesting project
So I hope that you once start a building log of this new project?

Back