Caricature boat models

I once found an article in a magazine about a guy who made caricature models - typically small fishing vessels that had all of their quirky and characterful features hugely distorted so that the finished item looked more like a cartoon in a comic strip - but I have lost any references I might have had. Does anyone have any leads on where I might find more details? I have searched the net for hours and apart from several small American tugboats I have found nothing helpful. The photo may give you an idea of the trend I would like to follow.

Attachments

• black pearl1.jpg
    black pearl1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 15
absolutely - I was just using the illustration as an example of what a caricature boat model might look like. I have definitely seen an article dealing with models of this nature - beautifully built in the usual modelling hardwoods and stained/varnished, but quite out of proportion whilst maintaining the character of the prototype.

Perhaps "Ships of Scale" is the last place to ask, because such models are definitely not to scale. :(

I once found an article in a magazine about a guy who made caricature models - typically small fishing vessels that had all of their quirky and characterful features hugely distorted so that the finished item looked more like a cartoon in a comic strip - but I have lost any references I might have had. Does anyone have any leads on where I might find more details? I have searched the net for hours and apart from several small American tugboats I have found nothing helpful. The photo may give you an idea of the trend I would like to follow.
Hello Chris,
I just stumbled across your question so I do apologize for the delay. I too remember seeing wooden ships that seemed somewhat distorted and/or really funny looking. I decided to look it up again and it seems that what you are refering to are 16th century carracks. You can look them up but I've taken the liberty to add some.photos to see if this is what you meant.

Raymondcarrack.jpgHolbein_-_Ausfahrendes_Schiff.png

absolutely - I was just using the illustration as an example of what a caricature boat model might look like. I have definitely seen an article dealing with models of this nature - beautifully built in the usual modelling hardwoods and stained/varnished, but quite out of proportion whilst maintaining the character of the prototype.

Perhaps "Ships of Scale" is the last place to ask, because such models are definitely not to scale. :(
Scale can be any ratio from 1:1 to 1:infinity, so it is kind of proper place to ask.

err ..... not really. the concept of a scale model is a perfect copy of the full size prototype, in the same proportions, which is the opposite of what I was trying to describe.

I didn't have the carrack model in mind but I guess the recently announced Amati model "Coca" is a good example - it is a copy of a model made as a votive offering.

I've seen a book of these sorts of ship models- the author had a super simple method of making display cases. Maybe search for ship model sculptures? I tried that and nothing came up quickly. I think the title was the author/ modelers name and ship models. The book was from the 1980s or so.

In his recent post on making deadeyes, BrankoSNY was using a miniature ship that appeared to be something of caricature of a ship. Is that what you are looking for? Or is that the same Coca model to which you refer above?

I looked up Amati's Coca ship and I must confess that it looks rather cute and small enough that it may be built and given as a gift. In the event that you need to have something to do and there is someone you want to give a gift to but unsure what it may be, well I believe this might fit the bill.

Raymond
product-coca-a570.jpg

Back