Discussion Can You Ever Have Too Many Scale Modeling Tools?

Well Jack I have to disagree with you. Yes there are cheaply made tools however, it's always been my experience that one gets what he pays for and due diligence is required on the part of the purchaser when buying anything. Case in point is my desktop CNC which has been flawless in the seven years I've had it. Cheap no, expensive yes as I have over 9k invested in just the machine.
Also, it depends on proper use of any tool. Screw drivers are meant to drive screws not be used as pry bars. Overloading is another issue with these small "Hobbist" machine tools such as lathes mills etc. You can't expect to take cuts on these small machines that you would on a 10hp machine.
Bottom line is if I can't afford quality tools I don't buy a "cheap" one as a substitute.
But...there isn't a need in modelling, for a 10hp machine, in my opinion. Yes, having a Bridgeport or Hardinge would be wonderful, but most hobbiests don't need all that. ( I do have a full woodshop)

I unfortunately don't have that luxury. The stores around here don't carry other than your standard cheap stuff and ordering online is expensive. so I wind up have duplicates of certain tools, like screwdrivers, for example.

I agree with you about the small machines and that you are not dealing with an industrial lathe, for example. Fortunately I work only with wood and I don't have any interest in working with metal.
This is totally fine, many of us don't have the same luxury. Considering this is just a hobby, if you are not a scratch builder or a heavy kit basher, you don't require machinery. Most kits can be assembled with a standard set of tools.
But even those can be accumulated over time.

But...there isn't a need in modelling, for a 10hp machine, in my opinion. Yes, having a Bridgeport or Hardinge would be wonderful, but most hobbiests don't need all that. ( I do have a full woodshop)
I’m not saying there is a need for an industrial sized machine for model shipbuilding/hobby work. What I am saying is that what is available for the hobbyist who is building model ships from wood is marginal. Obviously it comes down to dollars as most who do this as a hobby wouldn’t pay the bucks required to purchase a quality machine even if there was such available.
I only wish Jim Byrnes would venture into mini lathe and mini mill manufacturing.

The addiction to buying New tools is not the same as you would buy, let's say a new hobby knife, which has the same purpose as the other 5 you already have, but... it has a durable and ergonomic handle. Can you justify a purchase?
Yes, it keeps me from finger fatigue, and the fact I can't find any of my other 5 laying around when I need one! :D

I’m afraid that I fall into the tool addict category.
What would help us addicts is if people on this forum would quit posting about new tools or gadgets they just purchased as that tips me into the gotta have it category. :)

Just kiddin’ folks, keep posting as I still have some of my kid’s future inheritance left.
My kids make more than I do, so I don't have to save up for them, my money and they can fight for the tools when I am gone.

I’m not saying there is a need for an industrial sized machine for model shipbuilding/hobby work. What I am saying is that what is available for the hobbyist who is building model ships from wood is marginal. Obviously it comes down to dollars as most who do this as a hobby wouldn’t pay the bucks required to purchase a quality machine even if there was such available.
I only wish Jim Byrnes would venture into mini lathe and mini mill manufacturing.
There's always Grizzly....

This therapy session helps. I often ask myself, "why do I have so many knives?" it's a whole drawer of them. A couple handles for Exacto #11, one for #1, and handles for all sorts of other shapes. Two Swan Morton scalpels, two different types of blades that always lose their tips right off the bat. And scads of spare blades, all sorts of crazy shapes. I don't leave the drawer open, my wife might think it's creepy.

Unfortunately now that we downsized our home, my wife now has a good idea of how many tools I already have even after selling several big ones. I worked full then part time as an auto mechanic then as an "advanced" auto enthusiast, restoring classic cars and building hot rods so have multiples of socket sets, wrench sets in SAE sizes plus dozens of screw drivers and specialty tools including another couple tool boxes now of #$%@ metric tools. All told, there are at 7+ pretty dang full tool boxes. Then there are the woodworking tools.

OK, with that said, I've adapted as many as possible of the miscellaneous tools to build models but even so, have had to add to my stash, which reminds me that I NEED ... you got the point.

I will be the one who will die with the most tools - - or die trying

I also think I am experienced in tools and accessories. When we think that we already have everything we need, a new Need always arises to more effectively produce one or another part for our ships. And then the market is always putting new tools and it's impossible to resist.

Seems like you've struck a chord here Jim! ROTF I sit on the board of "Tool Hoarding Inc". Sometimes I WISH I could not afford things. It would certainly make me a smarter consumer!

I have tools I've used once and sadly, yes, tools I've never used at all. I think this thread will inspire me to systematically go through all my tools and weed out those I don't use and put them in a "junk" drawer. Thinking about it, it might be a "junk" chest.

Modelers are not the only group that have compulsive buying disorder. I think I mentioned in a post somewhere where I was with some fellow fishermen looking through a Cabela's catalog and the colorful fishing lures. Cool colors, shiny spinners. I remember saying, "Hey Nino, these lures look like they would catch fish!" He responded, "They're meant to catch fishermen like us!":( There is one modeler's catalog similar to Cabela's, but instead of fishing lures, it's modeler's tools. I will not mention any names, so don't try and get it out of me! :p Some of their items are ok, but a vast majority of anything mechanical was of inferior quality. I no longer use them, on principle alone.

@Philski, I think your screwdriver collection could supply all of the auto mechanics and carpenter shops in my home town. Is your "thing" just screwdrivers? What does your clamp drawer look like? :rolleyes: In your case there might be a way to quantify your "screwdriver proclivity". I'm just curious, how many Philiski (Philips) head screwdrivers are the same size? How many flat head the same size. That might give us some insight to your, ah screwdriver love? ROTF

I'm a Sherline guy when it comes to my mill and lathe. Byrnes guy for table saw, thicknesser and disk sander. My band saw is a Grizzly and I do like it very much.

I can say I'm not buying new tools at the rate I have in the past, but sadly, it's not because I've changed my behavior. It's because I'm running out of room. My ability, and desire to make compelling arguments to the Admiral for future acquisitions has waned.

And I keep saying to myself, "Happy Wife, happy life!" ;)

If you don't have it, you don't need it.
Ah…but then if you don’t have it, you really really need it! Then you know your tool compulsion is way out of whack! I must confess to being a tool and gadget collector. I try things and if they don’t work out they go onto the pile or in the tool box drawer. Sometimes they actually do work and they join the “active” pile at hand next to the current build. I think collecting tools has become a hobby within the hobby! I have stuff that just looked cool…never really used them. I have gadgets that promised to make something easier…like ratlines…yeah…not so much. So yeah…way too many tools, gadgets, gizmos, thingys, whatsits, and stuff…

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the other images are not mine, but examples I found on the net. I changed to Dremel later on_ had 4, one vertical, one used horizontal and finally two battery-drivin ones, each with an extra battery.
I was gonna say, that's a pretty hefty compliment of "not too many tools"! (Looks a lot like my shop after forty-fifty years.)
Thanks for the clarification. :oops:

Pete

Well Jack I have to disagree with you. Yes there are cheaply made tools however, it's always been my experience that one gets what he pays for and due diligence is required on the part of the purchaser when buying anything. Case in point is my desktop CNC which has been flawless in the seven years I've had it. Cheap no, expensive yes as I have over 9k invested in just the machine.
Also, it depends on proper use of any tool. Screw drivers are meant to drive screws not be used as pry bars. Overloading is another issue with these small "Hobbist" machine tools such as lathes mills etc. You can't expect to take cuts on these small machines that you would on a 10hp machine.
Bottom line is if I can't afford quality tools I don't buy a "cheap" one as a substitute.
I have a good pair of hands, a pretty good eye and imagination along with a collection of mostly a lot of ancient hand tools. For anything more sophisticated and expensive I have cultivated the "kindness of strangers". ;)
(Every time I see the French prisoner of war models at the USNA museum I am reminded to go back to my shop with its' pretty good hand tools a few essential power tools and lighting and figure out some way to do the work with what I have on my low budget. I like the challenge of "What I need must be in this mess here somewhere!":rolleyes:

Pete

Back