Caldercraft HMS Victory 1:72 TonyH

If you saw a Caldercraft Victory on eBay that had been started, would you be tempted? Last year this happened to me and I had to get it, I had no intention of starting it back then as I had other things to do.

IMG_20221218_214409.jpg
IMG_20221218_214747.jpg
IMG_20221219_080110.jpg
IMG_20221218_214717.jpg

This was not going to be my next project but as we are putting our house on the market I have to keep the shipyard neat and tidy (not the way I work). I needed something to do so this is more of research job at the moment. I need to see how far into the build it is and what needs to be done. When we are in the new house I may continue with this or start something new. The only photo I saw was the unpainted side l was surprised to see the copper plates and paint on the other side.
I've had a couple of days to check things out glad to say the contents look complete, love the drawings but the instructions seem a little bit light.Now this is where I need help or another opinion I can see things I'm not happy with, what do you think.

1 The painting needs to be redone lines are not straight and I don't like the shade of yellow used. Any suggestions? I'm not a fan of the current colour on the real Victory.

IMG_20221218_221910.jpg
2 The gun ports need fixing I'm toying with squaring them up and relining them.

IMG_20221219_170852.jpg
The gun carriages are not very good I'll pull them apart and redo them,- any tips for ungluing parts, I don't know what glue was used.
I have some other questions for things I'm not sure about, I'll post again shortly.
Any suggestions welcome I've got a lot to learn with this ship.

Good morning Tony. An interesting project for sure. The gun port frames definitely need to be redone. A large task for sure however looking at your builds one you will pull off.

The colour. I personally feel Admiralty paints are the best colour fit for the Victory. They did make these after the colour change but are not pinky more a deep yellow ochre. They have a set of paints made just for the Victory. Worth checking out

Enjoy and look forward to this.

Cheers Grant

Good morning Tony. An interesting project for sure. The gun port frames definitely need to be redone. A large task for sure however looking at your builds one you will pull off.

The colour. I personally feel Admiralty paints are the best colour fit for the Victory. They did make these after the colour change but are not pinky more a deep yellow ochre. They have a set of paints made just for the Victory. Worth checking out

Enjoy and look forward to this.

Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant the list of things I to sort out is getting longer, I would love to have started this from the beginning.
I've heard a lot of good things about Admiralty paints I don't know if they're available in AUS, I'll look into it.
Thanks Tony

Tony,

If you find detail about Victory paints in or deliverable to Australia, please post any information. I am also in Oz and about to start a new kit and want to get the colours correct.

Regards,

PeterG

Tony,

If you find detail about Victory paints in or deliverable to Australia, please post any information. I am also in Oz and about to start a new kit and want to get the colours correct.

Regards,

PeterG
Hi Peter I haven't had much time to look into this, Admiralty paints do a set of 12 colours for the Victory I don't know about shipping to AUS.

I buy Admiralty paints from Cornwall Model Boats in UK. They ship paints to Japan without any problems, so it should be OK to ship to Oz. They use Royal Mail to ship small things, so shipping charge is not so high compared to DHL or others.

Tony ,so glad to hear from you again and you are building the victory . Photos this is how far I have got with my victory again lots of parts missing so had to make my own. Colors get all my paint from the $2 dollar shop these are the colors I have used so far yellow ochre phthalo blue ect all water based paint brushes to . Gun ports made my own some missing again .Getting ready to put masts on lots of sub assy to paint ,have enclosed mast colors if they are any use keep modeling Terry l

002.jpg

004.jpg

DSC00060.JPG

IMG_1652.JPG

IMG_1653.JPG

IMG_1654.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG

IMG_1656.JPG

IMG_1657.JPG

IMG_1658.JPG

IMG_1659.JPG

IMG_1660.JPG

Tony ,so glad to hear from you again and you are building the victory . Photos this is how far I have got with my victory again lots of parts missing so had to make my own. Colors get all my paint from the $2 dollar shop these are the colors I have used so far yellow ochre phthalo blue ect all water based paint brushes to . Gun ports made my own some missing again .Getting ready to put masts on lots of sub assy to paint ,have enclosed mast colors if they are any use keep modeling Terry l

View attachment 347501

View attachment 347502

View attachment 347503

View attachment 347504

View attachment 347505

View attachment 347506

View attachment 347507

View attachment 347508

View attachment 347509

View attachment 347510

View attachment 347511

View attachment 347512
Hi Terry nice to see your progress on the victory you'll be rigging it soon. I would never have thought of looking in the two dollar store for paint thanks. Tony

Hi I hope everyone is having a great Christmas holiday and best wishes for the new year.
I've had a better look at my Victory and can see more problems firstly the quarter galleries are out of line with the gunports.

IMG_20221218_220224.jpg

IMG_20221224_111602.jpg
This is how they should line up.

IMG_20221224_220109.jpg
See how the windows drop down at the stern.
Screenshot_2022-12-18-19-35-15-842~2.jpg
This is from the instructions showing how it should look.

The next problem is the way the Wales have been fitted, they tend to sweep up at both ends and there is a mismatch at the bow.

IMG_20221219_080400.jpg

IMG_20221218_221629.jpg
I've put masking tape above and below the lower wale to highlight it's path. It's ok till it gets to the last gunport then it goes to high.

IMG_20221224_111032.jpg
IMG_20221224_111234.jpg

Here I have marked the height where the wales should end up. While doing this I noticed that the copper plates are above the water line.

Screenshot_2022-12-18-19-35-55-399~2.jpg
Another photo of how it should look.

It looks like I need to remove the wales, quarter galleries and some copper plates unless there's another way to fix these issues, any suggestions welcome.

If you saw a Caldercraft Victory on eBay that had been started, would you be tempted? Last year this happened to me and I had to get it, I had no intention of starting it back then as I had other things to do.

View attachment 346582
View attachment 346583
View attachment 346584
View attachment 346585

This was not going to be my next project but as we are putting our house on the market I have to keep the shipyard neat and tidy (not the way I work). I needed something to do so this is more of research job at the moment. I need to see how far into the build it is and what needs to be done. When we are in the new house I may continue with this or start something new. The only photo I saw was the unpainted side l was surprised to see the copper plates and paint on the other side.
I've had a couple of days to check things out glad to say the contents look complete, love the drawings but the instructions seem a little bit light.Now this is where I need help or another opinion I can see things I'm not happy with, what do you think.

1 The painting needs to be redone lines are not straight and I don't like the shade of yellow used. Any suggestions? I'm not a fan of the current colour on the real Victory.

View attachment 346596
2 The gun ports need fixing I'm toying with squaring them up and relining them.

View attachment 346597
The gun carriages are not very good I'll pull them apart and redo them,- any tips for ungluing parts, I don't know what glue was used.
I have some other questions for things I'm not sure about, I'll post again shortly.
Any suggestions welcome I've got a lot to learn with this ship.
To unglue depending on what was used, I have just soaked in warm water with a bit of rubbing alcohol to help it absorb into wood, for CA use finger nail polish remover or pure acetone, but be careful of smell and chance of fire with acetone, best soaked outside in fresh air.

Give them time to soak and gently try prying apart.

Tony I have a set of Admiralty paints for Caldercraft's Victory. They are unsealed. I will never use and you can have them. The $64,000 question is what would the shipping cost be, U.S. to Aussie land? Probably close to $64,000. ROTF If you send me a PM with your address, I can check the post cost and we can go from there.

Hi Tony,
You can get the paint set for victory direct from the Jokita online shop. I had my set sent and took a few weeks, its not that expensive. The only dealer used to be Minature Steam in Victoria but they stopped. You could also as Float a boat, as the sell CC kits in Victoria and are awsome to deal with.

Still coppering mine( mind numbing & CA expensive! )- at least you have that done for you!

To unglue depending on what was used, I have just soaked in warm water with a bit of rubbing alcohol to help it absorb into wood, for CA use finger nail polish remover or pure acetone, but be careful of smell and chance of fire with acetone, best soaked outside in fresh air.

Give them time to soak and gently try prying apart.
Thanks for the advice I'll start with the gun carriages using water and take it from there. My biggest problem is not knowing what glue has been used.

Tony

Tony terry l here if you have trouble cut part of make a new one size on snaps also have metal that you can stick on if you want them picture coming

002.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

Tony I have a set of Admiralty paints for Caldercraft's Victory. They are unsealed. I will never use and you can have them. The $64,000 question is what would the shipping cost be, U.S. to Aussie land? Probably close to $64,000. ROTF If you send me a PM with your address, I can check the post cost and we can go from there.
That's a very generous offer what are going to use on your Victory? At the moment I can't give you an address because we are about to sell our house in Melbourne and move close to Canberra maybe just over the border in NSW. I'm not looking at a new house till I have a buyer for mine hopefully by the end of April it will all be settled.
After the holidays I will find out the price of getting the paints here and see if it's worth sending yours over I know postage is a killer. At this stage I am mainly learning more about this model finding out what needs to be done and what needs fixing up so there's no hurry.
Thanks again Tony.

Hi I hope everyone is having a great Christmas holiday and best wishes for the new year.
I've had a better look at my Victory and can see more problems firstly the quarter galleries are out of line with the gunports.

View attachment 348148

View attachment 348152
This is how they should line up.

View attachment 348153
See how the windows drop down at the stern.
View attachment 348156
This is from the instructions showing how it should look.

The next problem is the way the Wales have been fitted, they tend to sweep up at both ends and there is a mismatch at the bow.

View attachment 348158

View attachment 348165
I've put masking tape above and below the lower wale to highlight it's path. It's ok till it gets to the last gunport then it goes to high.

View attachment 348164
View attachment 348163

Here I have marked the height where the wales should end up. While doing this I noticed that the copper plates are above the water line.

View attachment 348157
Another photo of how it should look.

It looks like I need to remove the wales, quarter galleries and some copper plates unless there's another way to fix these issues, any suggestions welcome.
Good morning Tony. The quarter galleries fix is something I would definitely do. Those out of line windows will be a glaring irregularity- drive you mad. It is just wood so you will get this spot on. This would be similar for the wales. My wales also swept up at the bow and I managed to create an illusion of this not happening with the water line and the planking around the anchor haus. See my bad wale ROTF.
D5EBDD4D-8C73-4092-84E6-4737DC5CE50E.jpeg

However:
If you can I would redo them and the copper plates by the water line (if possible). (I don’t have any idea how to do this) Definitely will make a difference and be correct. Good luck and enjoy. Cheers Grant

Hi Tony,
You can get the paint set for victory direct from the Jokita online shop. I had my set sent and took a few weeks, its not that expensive. The only dealer used to be Minature Steam in Victoria but they stopped. You could also as Float a boat, as the sell CC kits in Victoria and are awsome to deal with.

Still coppering mine( mind numbing & CA expensive! )- at least you have that done for you!
Thanks for the information, I saw Miniature Steam named on the Jokita website as the Australian agent but when I went to the M.S. website nothing about caldercraft kits, this was also the case for Float a Boat. There was some paper work that came with the kit it looks like float a boat supplied this kit.
Do you know if it's possible to get replacement parts like the sheet containing the gun carriages at this stage I'm thinking that's better than disassembling them all. I'll try Jokita after the new year holidays.
I only have one side copper plated but it may need some work as the water line is to high at the bow and stern.
Looking forward to your next posting great job your doing with the Victory and the videos.

That's a very generous offer what are going to use on your Victory? At the moment I can't give you an address because we are about to sell our house in Melbourne and move close to Canberra maybe just over the border in NSW. I'm not looking at a new house till I have a buyer for mine hopefully by the end of April it will all be settled.
After the holidays I will find out the price of getting the paints here and see if it's worth sending yours over I know postage is a killer. At this stage I am mainly learning more about this model finding out what needs to be done and what needs fixing up so there's no hurry.
Thanks again Tony.
I sold my Caldercraft Victory kit to another SoS member. I was just thinking, I should open one of the paint containers and check the state as they are 4 years old. I won't do that unless you decide you might want them.

Back