Building the original AL San Fransisco.

Hi. I am a retired engineering professor living in Middleton ,Wisconsin. I have enjoyed woodworking all my life, but I gave up my shop when we moved into our present condo.

A month ago I went to the local hobby shop to buy a plastic model of a 1932 Duesenberg. Unfortunately no such model exists, so on a whim I paid $100 for a wooden ship model kit instead. Although I am an experienced woodworker I have no experience with kit building, and I had no idea about what I was getting into.

The kit I bought was Artisano Latina's "San Fransisco":
.Box.jpg
Little did I know that this was a 24 year old kit that probably had been sitting on the shelf for decades:
Date.jpg
I have enjoyed working on this project for three weeks, and I have made all the mistakes that a novice model builder could conceivably make (maybe more).
I first set up shop on a table i front of the TV in the basement. However I soon ran out of space an I now have a much better setup in the garage:
Shop.jpg

Many of my difficulties were caused by the kit's very incomplete instructions. For example I was asked to form the bow in step 5 while specific details were not mentioned until step 10. A web search for help led me to the fact that there is a new version of my 25 years old kit ("San Fransisco II"). This kit has vastly improved instructions with many detailed pictures. For a while I was tempted to start anew with this kit. However many reviews suggests that the quality of this kit is vastly inferior to the one I have, so I will not do that. Instead I shall accept the fact that my build will not be perfect, but that I have learned a lot. My next project should benefit from this learning experience.

We all learned a lot from the mistakes along the construction track, :)
I wish you a lot of success in continuing your journey to develop the capabilities of building wooden shipsThumbsup

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our friendly forum

BTW: you could start a building log showing your work on the kit, so we would be able to see your progress, we would be able to give hints and comments if necessary and requested ....

Back