Building Riva Runabout

Just joined Ships of Scale. Built quite a few models in my time but restarting after long break. Now building in more cramped conditions. At the point on the Riva of installing motors etc. Amati kit provides single ESC for control of both motors. Would like to consider fitting 2 ESC to give independent control of motors, Any ideas or experience.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Yes, independent control would be the aim.
G'day and welcome to the Forum, I'm building a Motor Torpedo Boat using two motor's with contra rotating props and dual rudders with a single speed controller, personally I think it's easier one thumb for speed and one for steering,

Best regards John,

Yes, independent control would be the aim.
So that means you are going to use 2 separate channels in your radio gear. I don't know of a radio transmitter that has 2 separate throttle controls. You may need to modify a transmitter (the mechanical part, not the electronics). I would think about using a radio for a plane as they normally have more channels. Normally, the left stick is set for throttle and has detents in its movement. The right stick would be set for elevator control for the up and down direction of the stick. There are springs that will cause the stick to move back to center if you let go of the stick. If you remove those springs, the stick will stay where you put it, somewhat like a throttle control. It just won't have the detents.

I would still put both rudders on a single channel.
Your rudder control would be left and right on either of the sticks rather than a wheel control.

So that means you are going to use 2 separate channels in your radio gear. I don't know of a radio transmitter that has 2 separate throttle controls. You may need to modify a transmitter (the mechanical part, not the electronics). I would think about using a radio for a plane as they normally have more channels. Normally, the left stick is set for throttle and has detents in its movement. The right stick would be set for elevator control for the up and down direction of the stick. There are springs that will cause the stick to move back to center if you let go of the stick. If you remove those springs, the stick will stay where you put it, somewhat like a throttle control. It just won't have the detents.

I would still put both rudders on a single channel.
Your rudder control would be left and right on either of the sticks rather than a wheel control.

Thank you. It all sounds more complex than I thought. I wanted to control the boat like a real boat. Maybe next time.

Thank you. It all sounds more complex than I thought. I wanted to control the boat like a real boat. Maybe next time.
You can definitely do it with two ESC, but I think that with a high speed motor boat it would be a bit finicky, best of luck with whatever ever way you go,
. best regards John,

Back