Build Log Revell 1/72 Pirate Ship

I have been debating building this for awhile. the scale though at 1/72 was appealing though as I usually build plastic ships in smaller Scales. So after few months internal debate and finding very little YouTube or other online reviews I decided to give it a try. I did find that it had been tackled on SOS and that the misplaced capstan around the mast was mentioned. I went ahead and purchased the kit anyways. A first look and it seems to be well molded with not a lot of flash to clean up. the assembly shows the hull being assembled in sections horizontally divided much like a wooden model. With the hull up to the lower gun deck being assembled first. This is different than all my previous Ships of sail in which the hull is usually two half’s from the keel to the upper rails. The decks are then just dropped in and sit on a ledge inside the assembled hull. As seen below the two halves were painted a tallow color (I used pale Sand from Vallejo paints AV collection) the hull is assembled using two cross members acting as bulkheads inserted into slots in the two hull halves. And of course the standard pins and holes around the keel. The parts went together neatly and tight with only some cleanup needed. The wood grain is nice and easily showed thru a few light coats Airbrushed on 7E2F7D39-5C73-4958-8CA0-9DE22AE041EF.png53CF453C-01DB-4C2B-8E45-60E5DFC2C686.jpeg7686CB59-B02D-4A27-BCCB-85AE2C24BA5F.jpeg

welcome to the active "building log" modelers - I am looking forward to see your pirat ship growing

There is a way I found to make the Hull wood grain look more realistic. I built the Captain Kidd a very long time ago. You can still accomplish this only if you want to.

I painted a first layer of black (or if the hull is already black, you can leave that alone). In this case, you have already started with a beige color. So, if you wish, you can experiement on a small area of the hull to see what happens. I would get some black Acrylic and thin it out and paint a small area on the hull and let it dry, Then add another layer of beige, let it dry, and maybe even repeat this again. Thin layers. After all is dry, take a medium to fine grit of sand paper and buff it down. You do not want to rub hard as you will sand off the plastic faux wood grain. As you sand, you will see that the wood grain in the pastic will start to have a distinction of a mix of beige and black. I will see if I can hunt down on the forum of what I did. Again, this is only up to you.

Please see this link as it shows how I painted the hull in layers and the final product of which I was rather pleased with the results.

OOh watching this, got this kit waiting in the wings...

Back