Build Log: HM Bark ENDEAVOUR (1:54 Occre)

Although second planking is already over and done with, I have decided to start a build log on HM Bark Endeavour by Occre. This is only my second build, the first one being HMS Endurance, also by Occre. The difficulty of this kit is listed as 'high' whereas Endurance is listed as 'medium'. My experiences up till now with Endeavour have confirmed that it is certainly a more difficult build than Endurance (which for me is a good thing).
Below is - in reverse order - an impression of the build so far.

Endeavour_B30_.jpg

Endeavour_B31_.jpg

Endeavour_B32_.jpg

Endeavour_B33_.jpg

Endeavour_B34_.jpg

Endeavour_B35_.jpg

Endeavour_B36_.jpg

Endeavour_B37_.jpg

Endeavour_B38_.jpg

Endeavour_B39_.jpg

Endeavour_B40_.jpg

Endeavour_B41_.jpg

Endeavour_B42_.jpg

Assembling the rudder. This comes from a 5mm thick slab of solid wood (birch?), although the parts list states it is plywood. To simulate separate planks I carved the rudder with a saw blade, after which the cut was darkened with a lead pencil. For dyeing the wood Judea Bitumen was used. The brass strips were blackened with Kolderstok Patina for 20 seconds. I reused (the heads of) the nails I removed from the hull after first planking. I saw no other option than to use CA glue. Somehow I don't seem to be able to properly dose it, so unfortunately some stains remain visible.

All went well until my sole 0.8 mm drill broke. I have now ordered ten of them that already should arrive tomorrow.

Endeavour_B5051.jpg

Endeavour_B5050.jpg

Well done. Coming along finely. My rudder from the same build was indeed plywood, which admittably wasn't the ideal choice of material.

As to the brass strips for the rudder, I use cv glue Pipettes. That gives one a good control of the amount of glue applied to the surfaces.

Continue the good work.
Trevor
Hello Trevor,

Thank you. Do you mean these? Well, even with these I make a mess of it, it seems.

Endeavour_B70.jpg

Apart from the rudder also the false keel, the sternpost and the caps of the masts are made of solid wood. Caps are called 'ezelshoofd' in Dutch, which translates as 'donkey's head'. I have no idea why.

Endeavour_B71.jpg

Eventually I decided not to cut corners and drill through the hull and file a proper cavity to fit the rudder, like you did.

Endeavour_B72.jpg

Although second planking is already over and done with, I have decided to start a build log on HM Bark Endeavour by Occre. This is only my second build, the first one being HMS Endurance, also by Occre. The difficulty of this kit is listed as 'high' whereas Endurance is listed as 'medium'. My experiences up till now with Endeavour have confirmed that it is certainly a more difficult build than Endurance (which for me is a good thing).
Below is - in reverse order - an impression of the build so far.

View attachment 392658

View attachment 392659

View attachment 392660

View attachment 392661

View attachment 392662

View attachment 392663

View attachment 392664

View attachment 392665

View attachment 392666

View attachment 392667

View attachment 392668

View attachment 392669

View attachment 392670
WOW ,after I saw the pictures and the job that you did I can not believe that this is your second ship. Outstanding job,Congratulations.

Hello Trevor,

Thank you. Do you mean these? Well, even with these I make a mess of it, it seems.

View attachment 393559

Apart from the rudder also the false keel, the sternpost and the caps of the masts are made of solid wood. Caps are called 'ezelshoofd' in Dutch, which translates as 'donkey's head'. I have no idea why.

View attachment 393560

Eventually I decided not to cut corners and drill through the hull and file a proper cavity to fit the rudder, like you did.

View attachment 393563
Yes, those are the pipettes I meant. For very small items I squeezed a couple of drops of cv glue on to a surface and dipped a needle into it. This allowed me to apply a small amount of glue to the surface to be bonded.

WOW ,after I saw the pictures and the job that you did I can not believe that this is your second ship. Outstanding job,Congratulations.
Thank you, I suppose it's a matter of patience. And of course a fair amount of studying (the SOS forum for instance) before carefully giving it a go. But don't be fooled, I do make plenty of mistakes.

An update on my progress with HM Bark Endeavour. The hull itself is finished more or less, but not yet varnished. The troubles with the erroneous transom have already been discussed in another post of mine. Still I am not happy with the photo etched decoration and the other ornaments supplied with the kit, which is why I have ordered alternative ones.

Endeavour_B92.jpgEndeavour_B91.jpgEndeavour_B90.jpg

According to Occre the rubbing strakes (wales) should be flush with the water line, but I decided to let them curve up towards stern and bow because this is what I see in most plans (and full size ships). Besides I have installed only three planks instead of four, which in my opinion results in more realistic proportions. I also decided to use colour instead of finishing the ship in a natural wood tone. The opinions on this point seem to differ among the different kit manufacturers. My decision is purely based on aesthetics. The colours I have selected after some experiments are deliberately more subdued than those I see mostly used on this ship (they are Nachtblauw, Koningsgeel and Karmijn from Kolderstok).

Endeavour_B76.jpgEndeavour_B74.jpgEndeavour_B75.jpgEndeavour_B77.jpg
Endeavour_B82.jpg
Endeavour_B78.jpgEndeavour_B79.jpg

The drilling of the hawse holes at first seemed quite straightforward. However, it turned out they had to be drilled with an angle of about 45 degrees. I suspect this is another flaw in the design. The problem could be avoided by placing the (yellow) rubbing strake higher up, but this is not what the instructions say. To make a long story short: it was pure guesswork. As a result I had to patch up the inside of the bullwarks afterwards. I am now on the lookout for some brass fittings to fit in the holes.
Beforehand I had feared the placement of the small strakes on both sides of the bow, but this went unexpectedly smoothly.

Endeavour_B83.jpg
Endeavour_B84.jpgEndeavour_B88.jpg
Endeavour_B89.jpgEndeavour_B86.jpgEndeavour_B87.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. I have read the recommendations regarding rigging on your build log and will keep them in mind once I get to that.
But what ever happened to your ship? I do hope you did not give up because of the rigging.
Still a work in progress but getting very near the end now. I tend to reduce build time during the summer months as I am busy on other projects. However I also did develop a bit of procrastination regarding the rigging but am slowly progressing towards completion. I have thoroughly enjoyed the Endeavour and the many comments by fellow SOS modellers have helped as this is only my 2nd build. Looking forward to my next build which is the Endurance.

Still a work in progress but getting very near the end now. I tend to reduce build time during the summer months as I am busy on other projects. However I also did develop a bit of procrastination regarding the rigging but am slowly progressing towards completion. I have thoroughly enjoyed the Endeavour and the many comments by fellow SOS modellers have helped as this is only my 2nd build. Looking forward to my next build which is the Endurance.
Hi Keith, procrastination is the word describing my demeanor at the moment with my build of the Endeavour, although garden work and house renovation is keeping me occupied well into autumn. My problem is attaching the yards to the masts. Several times I have had to crawl around the floor to find the black beads, which keep falling off the rope when attempting to attach the yards to the masts. Did you glue them first to the masts or are they still free to move up and down? Any pointers to help me with my problem from your end would certainly be appreciated and help me to move forward with build.

Trevor

Endeavour is also my second build. Endurance was my first one. Of course the history of this ship is unrivalled. But I can tell you in advance that it is a much less difficult build than Endeavour. Although a novice builder it took me only three months to finish. But I suppose that gives you the opportunity to customize Endurance to your liking.
Good luck with the completion of Endeavour. I will watch out closely for any updates.

Endurance_display.jpg

Hi Trevor, I did wonder where you had got to with your Endeavour build as I was using parts of your build log to give me inspiration and guidance.

What I did (which may not be correct) was to double up the thread and tie a knot in one end leaving several centimetres spare each side of the knot. I then threaded on the beads and the metal dividers and then once I had the correct length of beads and dividers I tied another knot at the end to hold the beads and dividers, again leaving a few centimetres of thread spare. I did not tie this too tight to allow me to bend it around the mast. I then tied one end to the spar and looped it around the mast and tied to the spar.

What I also did was drill a small hole through the mast and spar and used a length of wire to pass through both mast and spar which has had it much easier to tension running rigging. Once you have tied the bead/spacer around the mast you cannot see the wire.

The attached image shows the top of the main mast with the yard attached ... currently there is no running rigging but the combination of pin and beads is holding the yard in place. Hope that makes sense.

IMG_5021.jpg

Endeavour is also my second build. Endurance was my first one. Of course the history of this ship is unrivalled. But I can tell you in advance that it is a much less difficult build than Endeavour. Although a novice builder it took me only three months to finish. But I suppose that gives you the opportunity to customize Endurance to your liking.
Good luck with the completion of Endeavour. I will watch out closely for any updates.

View attachment 394897
Very nice work and looks to be a custom stand which sets the whole model off very nicely. My Endeavour build has taken over 30 months elapsed time so far but I was not in any rush to complete the build along with my many other non model projects. Am looking forward to a slightly easier build with the Endurance. Look forward to seeing your Endeavour progress.

Hi Trevor, I did wonder where you had got to with your Endeavour build as I was using parts of your build log to give me inspiration and guidance.

What I did (which may not be correct) was to double up the thread and tie a knot in one end leaving several centimetres spare each side of the knot. I then threaded on the beads and the metal dividers and then once I had the correct length of beads and dividers I tied another knot at the end to hold the beads and dividers, again leaving a few centimetres of thread spare. I did not tie this too tight to allow me to bend it around the mast. I then tied one end to the spar and looped it around the mast and tied to the spar.

What I also did was drill a small hole through the mast and spar and used a length of wire to pass through both mast and spar which has had it much easier to tension running rigging. Once you have tied the bead/spacer around the mast you cannot see the wire.

The attached image shows the top of the main mast with the yard attached ... currently there is no running rigging but the combination of pin and beads is holding the yard in place. Hope that makes sense.

View attachment 394905
Hi Keith, thank you for your help. Reading your description of the task makes perfect sense and I will adopt your approach when I get back home from our holiday in Sweden and returning to the shipyard.

btw: Have you noticed the flag under my photo shows the Swedish flag, although my home is in Germany? I asked the site's admin and they stated it is a fact of this site, that the flag of the country one is currently in will appear under the photo. So soon you will see a German flag under my image. Funny old world.
Trevor.

View attachment 394897
I agree with Keith. The stand in itself is well done, and although it's an eye-catcher, it does not detract from the excellence of your model. Well done.
Trevor.

Hi Keith, thank you for your help. Reading your description of the task makes perfect sense and I will adopt your approach when I get back home from our holiday in Sweden and returning to the shipyard.

btw: Have you noticed the flag under my photo shows the Swedish flag, although my home is in Germany? I asked the site's admin and they stated it is a fact of this site, that the flag of the country one is currently in will appear under the photo. So soon you will see a German flag under my image. Funny old world.
Trevor.
Glad to be of help. Yes I did notice the Swedish flag but an address of Homburg. Interesting that flag changes with location.

Back