Build log: Billing Boat, African Queen (BB588) [COMPLETED BUILD]

As a brand-new member who just purchased the Billings African Queen, I am not at all clear how to remove the top flash (selvage? dross? I'm not sure what the correct term is.) from the hull. any information you can send to me would be appreciated. I also would like some very basic information, such as, how do I post a general question to the group? How do I post a picture of a steam ship I completed a few years ago? And how do I even insert a picture into my basic information for the members to see? Your help would be most appreciated, and my email is ndlipton@aol.com if that is appropriate to include.
Neil Lipton in New York City

To cutout the hull, highly recommended investing in a quality set (curve and straight) polycarbonate (Lexan) scissors. I can not recommend a specific brand. If you do not have a local hobby shop (I don’t) you have to go by the ratings. Any online source that sells RC cars and boats will have them. Also get spruce cutters.

As a brand-new member who just purchased the Billings African Queen, I am not at all clear how to remove the top flash (selvage? dross? I'm not sure what the correct term is.) from the hull. any information you can send to me would be appreciated. I also would like some very basic information, such as, how do I post a general question to the group? How do I post a picture of a steam ship I completed a few years ago? And how do I even insert a picture into my basic information for the members to see? Your help would be most appreciated, and my email is ndlipton@aol.com if that is appropriate to include.
Please see my reply about Scissors. I did not notice you are in NYC, you probably have some very good hobby shops.

Thank you for your advice. I was able to use scissors I purchased at an inexpensive importer’s store at the Kingston NY mall. I had to do final trim work with an Xacto knife and sandpaper.
The instructions are poor in that most of the steps are are largely left to trial and error as well as imagination. Once I figure out how to post pictures, I’ll try to make a builders log. Any advice on the build will be most appreciated.

Thank you for your advice. I was able to use scissors I purchased at an inexpensive importer’s store at the Kingston NY mall. I had to do final trim work with an Xacto knife and sandpaper.
The instructions are poor in that most of the steps are are largely left to trial and error as well as imagination. Once I figure out how to post pictures, I’ll try to make a builders log. Any advice on the build will be most appreciated.
I am in the final stages of hull construction and now working on the steam engine. The instructions that come with this model leave a lot to be desired, especially when you get to the mechanics of the engine. The schematic is well detailed and to scale of the actual parts, but when you get to the installation of crank shaft and drive shaft, it's challenging. Good luck. This kit will keep you busy and out of the saloons. Cheers... Bill Root, Naples, FL.

Great subject. Perfectr size. The details are really nice. As mentioned, just needs a Capn and Kate Hepburn...

I am just beginning the African Queen and I have a question about the decking. It seems that the (lack of instructions) suggests drawing the planks onto parts 18 and 19. I am not big on this, and would prefer to add wood strips. Is that what others have done? I don't presume that these strips are included, so I would have to source them. I did see a number of 1.7mm x 10 mm strips, but I presume these belong elsewhere. can anyone advise me? Thanks.IMG_5246 2.jpgIMG_5241.jpg

I am in the final stages of hull construction and now working on the steam engine. The instructions that come with this model leave a lot to be desired, especially when you get to the mechanics of the engine. The schematic is well detailed and to scale of the actual parts, but when you get to the installation of crank shaft and drive shaft, it's challenging. Good luck. This kit will keep you busy and out of the saloons. Cheers... Bill Root, Naples, FL.
Hi Bill, I am just starting this kit, and posted a question below. But I see that you are well into your build. I had a question about the planking - drawing them? I'm not big on this and would prefer to add real wood strips. Your experience? Thanks, Carl

I'm about to start this kit, so any experiences you have and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks so much for posting this. I have been gifted this model and it is my first attempt at boat building. Billings instructions seem terribly confusing to me. But maybe I'm just inexperienced.
Nope! They're confusing. Good luck. This was my fourth build and still a challenge.
Ironrod60
Please tell me how you removed the flash from the hull. I am brand new to this group and have only built one ship previously but was a model railroader for many years. However, I never came across this type of issue before. You can also email me at ndlipton@aol.com if that is allowed and convenient.
Thank you,
When removing the flash, leave an overhang to attach the deck to. I would probably trim the flash to fit the deck after I had installed the upper deck. Lots of guys struggling with this, me included.
Ironrod60
Please tell me how you removed the flash from the hull. I am brand new to this group and have only built one ship previously but was a model railroader for many years. However, I never came across this type of issue before. You can also email me at ndlipton@aol.com if that is allowed and convenient.
Thank you,
I used my Dremel with a sanding drum but word to the wise, leave some overhang and trim to the deck edge once installed. I would do it that way if I built a second one. Lots of challenges on this kit but a fun build just the same. Good luck.

To cutout the hull, highly recommended investing in a quality set (curve and straight) polycarbonate (Lexan) scissors. I can not recommend a specific brand. If you do not have a local hobby shop (I don’t) you have to go by the ratings. Any online source that sells RC cars and boats will have them. Also get spruce cutters.
Hallo @G32926
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

I’m gust now opened the box. Getting ready to build. I also went to high scold in the 50’s. Here is the Pegasus all finishe but the loose end and a display.
I have questions about the decking is decking material supplied in the Billings kit. Anybody finish the deck and interior woodwork?

IMG_0907.jpeg

IMG_0894.jpeg

Nope! They're confusing. Good luck. This was my fourth build and still a challenge.

When removing the flash, leave an overhang to attach the deck to. I would probably trim the flash to fit the deck after I had installed the upper deck. Lots of guys struggling with this, me included.

I used my Dremel with a sanding drum but word to the wise, leave some overhang and trim to the deck edge once installed. I would do it that way if I built a second one. Lots of challenges on this kit but a fun build just the same. Good luck.
How’s it going? I’m trying to cover bases before I get building

The Billings instructions are really lacking. Their part numbering plans have me scratching my head! The fittings in the piping diagrams in many instances don’t fit the predrilled holes for the pipes. A real mess. Short of soldering it’s impossible to fit them together. I’m trying to find a glue that will hold. Anybody have any suggestions?

I just built this boat and Billings is famous for its lack of directions but the kits are great. As to the flashing I would suggest cutting off the vertical bit and leaving the horizontal piece until you glue the top rail on, then trim it to fit otherwise you can overtime and face some repairs. I speak from experience.

Back