Bugs, woodworms in wood

I had no intention (yet) of writing on the forum, I sent a message to Uwek regarding a question, but unfortunately even he is not familiar with it, so I will open a topic here.

How to protect wood from bugs and other that can destroy model in the future?

Problem is when you have bugs in wood BEFORE you start model and you didn't know.

How you check or prepare wood before your work?

This is from one other forum where one modeler find a hole in his model:

hole.jpg

this is transcript:

I noticed holes in the bottom plating of the hold, which I did not make. the bark beetles are up to it ... " The only solution will be to burn the model and all the wood I have, the entire workshop and I don't know what else. And that's how my modeling ends. But seriously - I have nothing to fear, will the cattle eat the glue and die?

The model in the ends and several parts (tow trucks) are "smeared" with linseed oil. Why not apply chemistry instead?
No vermin likes chemicals.
Maybe 3V3 oil is mentioned so often here?

Give me some advice. PLEASE : cry:

If this goes on, there will be a pile of sawdust left from below by the time I reach the upper decks.

Hello. Inject kerosene or chemicals into the holes, preferably with a small syringe and needle. Be careful with chemicals, it's damn harmful, do it in the basement or garage. With kerosene, the treatment must be repeated every few days, up to three or four times.

You can also mix kerosene with turpentine in a ratio of 1: 1 by volume and with this mixture, using the aforementioned syringe, pour the workings. You can also pour turpentine on the surface of the model and cover it with foil so that it evaporates into the interior of the wood and wait a few weeks. First make sure that the foil you are going to use does not dissolve from the turpentine.
The first foil I would try would be stretch foil, because it adheres nicely and you can buy almost any amount.
Plus, you probably have it at home.

Thanks for the advice.
I injected kerosene into these holes several times.
Not much, but still.

The wood that I have in stock must have this in it.
Until now, during processing, none of the pieces had traces of woodworms.
Honestly - I was checking every piece in this respect.
And now, having looked at the "clip" of wood, I did not notice anything suspicious.
I must have missed something.

I will closely monitor for any new traces.

If kerosene alone does not help, I will follow advice and the model will go into quarantine in a turpentine environment.

Permethrin?
I don't know, I'm new in this hobby.
There is lot of insecticide on market but is there any natural way to preserve wood from bugs?
And what is procedure, every piece of wood treat with insecticide before you start to work?
Some suggest putting it in the freezer for a certain time.

I don't know, I'm new in this hobby.
There is lot of insecticide on market but is there any natural way to preserve wood from bugs?
And what is procedure, every piece of wood treat with insecticide before you start to work?
Some suggest putting it in the freezer for a certain time.
Sometimes kiln drying infected wood kills the larvae and bugs. Buy your wood from reputable sellers. There are other methods too....such as bagging and fumigating.

Last edited:
I have been fighting insects for many years in a warehouse situation. The use of gas is something for professionals and amateurs should stay far away from such treatment.
However, when organic food came to our warehouses we learned that freezing insects is very practical with good results when you stick to a few basic rules:
Temperature: at least -22 degree Celcius (I am European)
Time: at least 2 x 24 hrs (better 3 x, because you also have to kill the eggs!)
Keep the fridge closed, to avoid short time increase of the temperures, which enables the insects to survive (cold hardiness)
Wood for ship's models could be treated in a normal home-style fridge over the weekend. (So place the ice-cubes for your whisky elswere).

Happy hunting
Yves

Last edited:
I must admit that I have never encountered bugs in modeling wood to date. None in kit wood and none in wood purchased from mainline suppliers. So this is interesting and illuminating issue. Maybe I need to pay more attention?? I treat all the parts of my model build with a coat of matte polyurethane as I proceed with final coats on finished assemblies. I have no idea if this would help control bugs or not…just what I do as I assemble a model ship…

Hello.
I found my problem on this forum.
I just wanted to add that when I took the pieces of wood into the model, there were no vermin in them.
There was not even a hint of any eggs left behind.
He came as an unwanted guest and settled down.
I would like to add that I have not noticed the worm working so far.
I poured kerosene into the hole several times from a syringe.
May it never happen to you.
I greet, Artur.

those holes are from a powder post beatle i have seen it many times in deadwood, in air dried wood and also in kiln dried wood as long as the wood is unprotected with a paint or varnish or some sort of wood finish the beatle will get into it.

Both hot and cold temperatures will kill off powderpost beetles. Wooden items that are small can be heated for six hours in an oven at 120°F to 135°F. Items can also be frozen in a deep freezer for a minimum of three days at 0°F. If the item is more than two inches thick, it could take longer than three days to adequately freeze treat wood-boring beetles.

Borax kills powder post beatles spray it on to the unfinished wood. Borax is not toxic to humans, birds, bees and most aquatic life, but it can irritate your eyes, hands or lungs if you breath fumes or ingest the product from residue on your hands. Reduce the risks by wearing gloves and long sleeves when handling borax and by washing your hands thoroughly after using it.
Available as a powder, paste, spray, tablet or liquid, borax kills quite a few different insects, both indoors and out. With over 500
different applications, borax is in wide use.

If you can, seal the wood with varnish or paint. This seals the pores and cracks where beetles could lay eggs and can protect
your home from powderpost beetles and other wood-destroying organisms.

Back