Buccaneer Pirate Ship from OCCRE

Bulwarks. The fitting showed that the middle part had to be shortened a little ( with a sand paper). Еhe manual says that the bulwark should just be painted from the inside. I dyed it, but I don't really like it. Maybe it's worth gluing the trim strips?
IMG_6611.JPEG
And another question: Many authors recommend gluing wooden blocks between the frames. Can wood be replaced with styrofoam?

Bulwarks. The fitting showed that the middle part had to be shortened a little ( with a sand paper). Еhe manual says that the bulwark should just be painted from the inside. I dyed it, but I don't really like it. Maybe it's worth gluing the trim strips?
View attachment 381498
And another question: Many authors recommend gluing wooden blocks between the frames. Can wood be replaced with styrofoam?
I've built this one. I didn't put blocks between the frames and it came out fine, however I did plank the bulwarks inside and it did look much better. Also adding frames around the gunports is a nice touch. Good luck with your build. You are off to a good start

Oh, and by the way test the fit of that stern platform as you do your first planking. You may need to trim the frames to have it sit level. I did.

Styrofoam tends to fall apart and crumble and doesn't work well with woodworking tools or sand paper. Might try Balsa. shapes quick and easy. I am sure others on this forum have even better ideas.

View attachment 381498
Styrofoam does not have a lot of reliable structural integrity to hold square under stress. Styrofoam also requires careful gluing because many glues can melt the foam. Gluing Wood blocks between the false bulkheads is thought to provide needed additional structural strength to hold the square as you plank the hull. I personally would not use styrofoam for this. I would also not use styrofoam for any wood ship modeling structure. I cut pieces of a 1/4 by 2 inch hardwood planking and glue them in on edge for the structural braces. If you need to add filler to bow or stern sections I recommend balsa. Coat the balsa with poly before planking. Last, it is not always a requirement to add additional internal braces between the false bulkheads…I have planked hulls over bulkheads without the braces and have not had any issues at all. So you could easily decide to move ahead with planking without the braces.

OK. I decided to glue the bulwark with planks inside, and I will not glue the braces. After sticking the bulwark, I had to work a little with sandpaper. Now i added a device for bending the planks to my slipway:
Drawing1.jpg
I soak the strips in a jar for 2 hours and use a soldering iron to bend.Looks good in my opinion for a beginner.IMG_6618.JPEG
I have another question - do I need to pull out the nails after gluing?
Thanks.

It was a long and messy sandpapering process. Here is the result. And after moderate puttying, the hull is ready for further work:
IMG_6642.JPEGIMG_6644.JPEG
Found this remedia at a local store.It is a mixture of beeswax, linseed oil and colophony. please could you tell me - this remedia is suitable for finishing processing the hull ?

Beautiful! I like your finish!
It was a long and messy sandpapering process. Here is the result. And after moderate puttying, the hull is ready for further work:
View attachment 388759View attachment 388760
Found this remedia at a local store.It is a mixture of beeswax, linseed oil and colophony. please could you tell me - this remedia is suitable for finishing processing the hull ?
I have no idea. Make sample(s) to test it on. Maybe you have discovered something new and useful. On a test piece, what's the worst that can happen? Looks great so far!

Pete

Finally i have finished planking ( with Bison clue ). It turned out to be more difficult than I thought. In the process I ruined approximately 5-8 planks (fortunately there were a spare).In the end I sanded and polished the hull.
IMG_6705.JPEGIMG_6706.JPEGIMG_6707.JPEG
I'm not sure if there are enough slats for the inside parts of bulwarks. I hope that the 0.6x5mm sapelli slats from www.occre.com will fit.

the inside of the bulwark looks better after planking:
IMG_6894.JPEGIMG_6909.JPEG
the keel is assembled and installed as easily as Lego:
IMG_6906.JPEGIMG_6908.JPEG
But making and gluing the gunwale turned out to be very difficult for me.I was able to bend the thick planks only on the third try.IMG_6916.JPEG

Back