Brabham BT44B Martini 1975 by Tamiya 1/12th scale

As far as the real car goes, it had an aluminum chassis, Cosworth DFV 2993cc 90 degree V-8 naturally aspirated (mid-engined), with a Hewland FG400 transmission (gears - 5 forward, 1 reverse).
It had some success in Formula 1 and was a good car, however it couldn't match the performance of the McLaren M23 or Ferrari 312T of the era.
brabham09.jpg
brabham08.jpg
brabham11.jpg

It is ordered and on the way, so I hope to get started in the near future...see you then! I think given the scale, I can create some nice detail! ;)
Hi Dean. I am sure that you will have great fun with this nice scaled model with the open engine view. And can ad a lot of nice extra details. Hopefully it will arrive soon. Looking forward to your build!
Regards, Peter

Hi Dean. I am sure that you will have great fun with this nice scaled model with the open engine view. And can ad a lot of nice extra details. Hopefully it will arrive soon. Looking forward to your build!
Regards, Peter
Thank you Peter! I love formula 1 cars, so it should be inspiring. ;)
However I am torn between 3 projects! Or more actually.
I want to start on the upper wing for the Albatros. I want to keep adding planks to the hull on the NL. And I want to start this kit.
I also have a few wood working projects I am in the middle of. And a painting my oldest daughter wants me to do for her.
So I remain optimistic that I can juggle most of this. :p

Last edited:
Thank you Peter! I love formula 1 cars, so it should be inspiring. ;)
However I am torn between 3 projects! Or more actually.
I want to start on the upper wing for the Albatros. I want to keep adding planks to the hull on the NL. And I want to start this kit.
I also have a few wood working projects I am in the middle of. And a painting my oldest daughter wants me to do for her.
So I remain optimistic that I can juggle most of this. :p
Yes, my friend, we talked a lot about the F1 part of your (slot)car collection. And the pleasure of the more ‘old fashioned’ ones.

I had that 3-projects-struggle also with the last part of The Lee, the start of the BN and great fun with The Duc. For me, 3 builds was to much …. So first thing first and keep enjoying the hobby. :)
Regards, Peter.

Depending on how big a project is overall, I have 2-3 going at one time, maybe only work one at a time for week, but to be able to move from masts and rigging back to basic hull and planking can be good to help relax while still working the projects, as rigging can be frustrating at times, and basic construction relaxing.

The kit arrived today!
F2DC7C8B-53EF-433A-BA7D-15229ED0B318.jpeg
There are some nice metal parts and photo etched pieces. Odd the seatbelts are called stickers, when it is a cloth material you have to cut out. The buckles are in the photos etched parts.
83EA78E5-FFB1-40CA-AA88-DCF4120C0B0D.jpeg
The tires have very good detail and will look great once the contact patch is sanded and the Goodyear lettering is painted. ;)
33008519-3FCD-4039-AF34-F6C70FBF4EF4.jpeg
Here is the contents. The detail on the parts is excellent. There is rubber hoses for radiator hoses, fuel injection, plug wires, and metal springs for the suspension.
Will be a very nice model when done.

But for now, I am busy planking the hull of the NL. ;)

Last edited:
Dean, that should be a very nice build. I'm curious as to what modifications/improvements you will do!! No pressure, even stock it should be quite nice.;)

Dean, that should be a very nice build. I'm curious as to what modifications/improvements you will do!! No pressure, even stock it should be quite nice.;)
Thank you Francois! The plug wires and hoses are a little too big for the scale, so I am sure I will address that. The detail looks very good, so until I get into the build I am not sure what may have to be added, that may have been left out. As you know, good reference material is needed in order to add details that may have been left off, unless you otherwise have intimate knowledge of the subject. I did find some pictures online of the engine, so that will help in that area.
I have always loved Formula One cars, and I am partial to the old school cars. ;)
I really love what you did with your model car, and you had excellent reference material and pictures to work with. But that takes nothing away from what you were able to accomplish! Duplicating what you see at scale, and scratch building missing components takes model building to another level. You are excellent in those areas! ;)
Currently, finding the space on my work table is the issue! ;) I had to sideline my ship build of the Norske Love when I built the Camel. But I now have a good head of steam on the ship, and until that changes, I doubt I will get the opportunity to start another project. I also have to get back on the Albatross D.Va build. I started with the 1/16 figure of the Red Baron, that I will display next to the airplane. But I switched back to the ship after that.
So it looks like I have a lot to look forward to in the future. Some plastic kits, wood airplane kits, etc.
Thanks for your interest!

I started the build of the Brabham. I only completed the first 3 steps. This includes building the shock towers for the front suspension, the steering mechanism, and joining those sub assemblies with body. And the addition of a few pieces behind the driver, that are not really visible for the motor mounts, plate for gas filler tube, etc.
IMG_1970.jpegIMG_1969.jpeg
It doesn’t look like much yet, and I see some things that will need more attention later.
Due to building the NL, I will most likely work on this sparingly. ;)

I started the build of the Brabham. I only completed the first 3 steps. This includes building the shock towers for the front suspension, the steering mechanism, and joining those sub assemblies with body. And the addition of a few pieces behind the driver, that are not really visible for the motor mounts, plate for gas filler tube, etc.
View attachment 384398View attachment 384400
It doesn’t look like much yet, and I see some things that will need more attention later.
Due to building the NL, I will most likely work on this sparingly. ;)
Hi Dean. No problems with the mindset from scale 1:8 to 1:12?
Looking forwards to the details f.i. on the Ford Cosworth engine.
Regard, Peter

Hi Dean. No problems with the mindset from scale 1:8 to 1:12?
Looking forwards to the details f.i. on the Ford Cosworth engine.
Regard, Peter
Not really, both are still small…however the 1:12 will be a little more challenging. The engine should be fun! ;)
Remember our ships are far smaller, the NL is around 1:75 scale!

Back