Bow Spirit Netting

I’ve been searching too. Some have said a hairnet, others try a fabric store, and others make your own. But haven’t found a good solution yet. Leaning towards making my own. After ratlines I’m not looking forward to more knots.

This may sound weird, but I went to Hobby Lobby & told the gal what I needed, & she showed my some stuff that looked perfect! I can't remember what it is called, but it looks very authentic on my Amerigo Vespucci!

Rick1011

I bought some netting some time ago which I used for hammock nets. Got it in a local milners shop. (Hat Shop)... they had a great range of sizes of holes and thickness of thread... but sadly most in white !

Fabric stores are one source of options…like Rick above says, ask and they will show you options. Most fabric stores carry actual “netting” and a decorative fabric called “tule.” If you are in a fabric and craft store there are netting type options over in the craft area. In this case scale is your key consideration. I have used window screening successfully…usually needing to lightly apply a brown or tan paint. Hair nets. Go to a garden supply store and get the netting used to cover bushes to keep birds away. And finally, you can try a solid sail cloth application which was not unheard of actually. Again…you will need to rummage about to find something that fits the scale. But these are the finds I came up with while searching for same application…more realistic netting options!

Thanks for the ideas. Another question: any advice on how to apply or install this stuff so it looks realistic. Does anyone have photos?

Thanks for the ideas. Another question: any advice on how to apply or install this stuff so it looks realistic. Does anyone have photos?
I don’t have any recent photos but what I would do is first cut your netting option to size…then lay thread along the edges and sew the rope onto the edge…at the corners use the ends to tie onto anchor points. I hope this makes sense for you…

Back