Bought the OcCre HMS Revenge on Sale at Model Expo HALF OFF.

Hello shipmates,

Every so often you come across a sale with has something you can't pass up. Model Expo is having a half off sale today, and usually you go through the list of things on sale an pick up a few paint brushes or other small items, but then I saw something I couldn't pass up and so I HAD to push the button:

1692029119896.png

1692029501137.png1692029551358.png

Model Expo is selling OcCre's HMS Revenge for $95.00 USD. With the SoS discount, the total came to $100.00 after shipping! I was going to buy the Amati (Victory Models) Revenge, but this deal was too much to resist... cuz I'm a Galleon Junkie, and it's going to get lightly bashed, starting with looking for a nicer wood for the hull planking to replace the mahogany (sapelle).

1692029344633.png

Last edited:
Was looking at that sale too. But just don't need another kit right now. Enjoy your build.

You mentioned a SOS discount. I've bought several ship kits from model expo but have never heard of an SOS discount. Can you explain how that works?
The link is in the first message of this thread:

Sos Model Expo Discount

Thank you Kurt.

I can't get the discount to work. The URL line says 20% Off SOS Forum but the discount comes up as $0.00 during checkout. I must be doing something wrong.

Hello shipmates,

Every so often you come across a sale with has something you can't pass up. Model Expo is having a half off sale today, and usually you go through the list of things on sale an pick up a few paint brushes or other small items, but then I saw something I couldn't pass up and so I HAD to push the button:

View attachment 389525

View attachment 389527View attachment 389528

Model Expo is selling OcCre's HMS Revenge for $95.00 USD. With the SoS discount, the total came to $100.00 after shipping! I was going to buy the Amati (Victory Models) Revenge, but this deal was too much to resist... cuz I'm a Galleon Junkie, and it's going to get lightly bashed, starting with looking for a nicer wood for the hull planking to replace the mahogany (sapelle).

View attachment 389526
Great deal.
Now we have something in common, I look forward to see what you do with this kit then probably wish I had done the same. :)

I kind of like the Sapele in the kit photos. But who knows how photoshopped those are. Does anybody have an idea of how the period ship hull might have appeared? I know Magellan's ships were black with a slathering of tar!
I had a New England Peapod model with walnut gunnels at a show at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. The Museum boat yard master looked at it with a deeply troubled expression.
"What's the problem?" I asked.
"Hmm,...Walnut!" he replied. "In New England they never use it in boat building..."
"Why not?"
"They use it to make coffins!" :eek:
( Honest! This is no $***t!):rolleyes:

Pete

Last edited:
I kind of like the Sapele in the kit photos. But who knows how photoshopped those are. Does anybody have an idea of how the period ship hull might have appeared? I know Magellan's ships were black with a slathering of tar!
I had a New England Peapod model with walnut gunnels at a show at the Chesapeake maritime Museum. The Museum boat yard master looked at it with a deeply troubled expression.
"What's the problem?" I asked.
"Hmm,...Walnut!" he replied. "In New England they never use it in boat building..."
"Why not?"
"They use it to make coffins!" :eek:
( Honest! This is no $***t!):rolleyes:

Pete
A floating coffin! ROTF

I think the kit would look very nice in Cherry, as it ages it darkens. You still need to be careful with the grain from board to board. The wood working store here in town, LL Johnson Lumber MFG Co. and Johnson's workbench, has very nice Cherry in 1/4 and sometimes 1/8 and I cut my own planks. Sands up very nice and holds a nice edge.

If you want to enrich the color of your cherry (works on oak also, cherry heart wood only, not the very pale sapwood) wipe on plain old household ammonia. Wipe it on, a brush will leave uneven streaks. the wood will instantly take on a deep aged patina, several shades darker in color and richer in tone. Anybody with some scraps of oak or cherry try it out. It's like magic. Do this in a well-ventilated space of course. It only works on cherry and oak so far as I know. I've tried it on walnut. Nada.;)

Pete

Last edited:
Back