Bonhomme Richard - Pear Cross section kit (with scratch duplicate using alder) Unicorn Model

Below are three photos of the two cabins, nearing completion.

The first shows how I cut the templates apart (exactly the thickness of the walls). I can then glue up each individual wall on their corresponding posts.
20240429_082527.jpg

The two following photos show the cabins constructed. I still have to make nail holes, oil the wall planks and window frames.

I also invested in a photo box (less than $50 on Amazon)!! It ensures there are no distractions in the background, and I think it makes the parts being photographed appear much crisper. I have to thank Paul "Dockattner" who used something similar in his latest photos...imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right!
20240430_211153.jpg20240430_210735.jpg

I returned to the final fit of the riders for the mainmast step. The kit parts fit the hull curve very well with just a little chisel and sanding work. I did follow Uwe's lead and added the thick plank (3mm vs 2mm) next to the keel, as shown in Boudroit's drawings (see photos below for drawing and my interpretation).
20240501_202741.jpg20240501_112121.jpg
This meant I had to modify the riders to fit around the thicker planks. Here is how they look from bow/stern. I've oiled the riders with WATCO dark walnut. The deck planking will be left light with clear WATCO danish oil.
20240501_202303.jpg20240501_202530.jpg

Spent the day making a sliding window for the carpenter's room. See photos of it in several different positions.
20240504_202629.jpg20240504_102736.jpg
Also began making a hanging, sliding barn door for the carpenters walk. The door will hang from the rails built inside the frame above the door (shown below). Things are getting very thin and delicate, but a test fit today looks like it will all function!
Hanging Carpenter door internal frame.jpg

Paul,

Thanks for the interest. It's the pear kit with extra details, especially in the lowest two decks. I am modifying those little details, like making the sliding doors/windows fully functional. This means adding things like the extra "Z" bracing, which I think may have been necessary to hold a sliding door together. Below are some photos, showing:
1) Boudriot's drawing - 8 being the door I'm working on.
Boudroit drawing.jpg
2) The kit standard fixed piece from Signet's build which is awesome but I don't believe it functions. Signet can chime in if he made them movable. they obviously follow the photo from Boudriot's drawing.
signets door.jpg
3) My modifications start by making a hollow frame, which I slide the below door into. It hangs on a rider along the top of the frame.
sliding door with dime.jpg
4. Finally, the final product both shut/open.
Sliding door shut.jpgsliding door open.jpg
Only reasons for the modifications are: To make the build last a little longer, add my interpretation of what certain details may have looked like and because it's fun.

2) The kit standard fixed piece from Signet's build which is awesome but I don't believe it functions. Signet can chime in if he made them movable. they obviously follow the photo from Boudriot's drawing.
View attachment 445914
No, I didn't make mine movable. For my particular build, I saw no reason to.
Only reasons for the modifications are: To make the build last a little longer, add my interpretation of what certain details may have looked like and because it's fun.
I can think of no better reason for you to do this. I made a few changes from the kit too. Well done!

Back