Bluenose II Build (Artesania Latina) 1:75 by Nomad [Completed Build]

Howzit Heinrich. That is indeed interesting, what subjects do/did you teach? I love the Paarl and Stellenbosch region, despite the heat in summer, although I must admit it has changed quite dramatically over the years. We had family friends in Kempton Park that we often saw before of after a trip overseas, thanks to their proximity to the airport. My parents are from Germiston and Benoni. It's a small world. Even now, many years later, I bump into ex-pats in random places who I either knew or who knew someone I used to know. The Melbosstrand coincidence with Grant doesn't surprise me, or even that we, on this forum, can talk of people and places that we have in common :)Thumbsup
Hi Mark. I taught English . Yes - the changes that have taken in place in and around Paarl, Stellenbosch and Franschhoek, are unfortunately none for the good. :(

to assure a correct and consistant 90 angle on your bulkheads I use metal right angle braces made from alum angle bar clamped to each side of the bulkhead to maintain correct position of bulkheads to keel

Metal angles, small squares, and even large size Lego blocks all have been seen here for the same purpose.

What you have on hand that works and gets the job done. I am always learning new and better ways to do tasks I thought were hard or bothersome.

They were all done in the same manner as the one you have circled in green. i.e. The third and final rope reeve runs outside of the others and bound at the top of the upper dead-eye.
But now that I know my work is going to so closely scrutinised I think I stand further back with the camera next time ROTF
I didn't expect otherwise. :) Especially with your solid work, such as using the small jig.
And just keep shooting as you do. Okay How else do I get your construction from the other side of the globe in the picture here?

Given Artesania's vague rigging instructions and the complete absence of a sail plan, I have been trying to compile a sequence of next steps to help see my way through to the completion of this model without too many bumps and bruises. It seems to me that I should complete as much as possible before stepping the masts and lashing the shrouds on, so step one was to assemble all the remaining blocks in preparation for the rigging.

0725_20220207_bluenose_II_build.jpg

At the stern ...

0730_20220207_bluenose_II_build.jpg

... and on the bowsprit.

0735_20220207_bluenose_II_build.jpg

Last edited:
With the blocks in position, my next step was to prepare and position the ropes and lines that make up the standing rigging. Most of these lines are seized at one end, and the untidy mess that was left dangling just above deck were soon brought to order with some well-placed - and named - bits of masking tape.

0740_20220207_bluenose_II_build.jpg

Given Artesania's vague rigging instructions and the complete absence of a sail plan, I have been trying to compile a sequence of next steps to help see my way through to the completion of this model without too many bumps and bruises. It seems to me that I should complete as much as possible before stepping the masts into the ship and lashing the shrouds on, so step one was to assemble all the remaining blocks in preparation for the rigging.

View attachment 289092

At the stern ...

View attachment 289093

... and on the bowsprit.

View attachment 289094
The Billing Boats instructions I had were, in respect to rigging, vague, very vague. A side view aan a top view was as far as it got. This guy went to great lengths describing his rigging, although he drew his deadeyes incorrect.

The Billing Boats instructions I had were, in respect to rigging, vague, very vague. A side view aan a top view was as far as it got. This guy went to great lengths describing his rigging, although he drew his deadeyes incorrect.

Good morning RDN, why are you doing this? if I did detect this anomaly and simply to help him, that's all.

The next step prior to stepping the masts was to try and work out the sail plan. It appears that bending sails to spars is a topic of hot debate in ship modelling, although there was some consensus in attaching sails to schooners such as the Bluenose, but not necessarily to square-rigged ships which, if anything at all, should have their sails furled. Either way, it seems a good experience especially for a first build such as this :)

I was told that some of the pre-cut sails supplied by Artesania are too big and will need adjusting, and that certainly seemed the case with the trysails between the main and foremast, which are notably longer than the boom and gaff that support them. So now it seems that learning to stitch and sew might be yet another useful trade in the ever increasing repertoire of skills required to build a model ship :p

0745_20220207_bluenose_II_build.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning Nomad, I'm sorry if I point out that the blocks are mounted upside down.

View attachment 289095
Are they? Wow, I would not have known, thanks for pointing it out Frank. So I'm assuming that the holes of the blocks must be closer to the wire attachment than the other, reeving side. I learn something new every day, but with ship modelling it's usually more than just one thing :oops:

Given Artesania's vague rigging instructions and the complete absence of a sail plan, I have been trying to compile a sequence of next steps to help see my way through to the completion of this model without too many bumps and bruises. It seems to me that I should complete as much as possible before stepping the masts and lashing the shrouds on, so step one was to assemble all the remaining blocks in preparation for the rigging.

View attachment 289092

At the stern ...

View attachment 289093

... and on the bowsprit.

View attachment 289094
Hello Mark. Looking good Mnr. Loads of metal work on your Bluenose. Something I cannot get right. I love your labelling of the stays, ropes etc...a really good way to keep your sanity. Neat hand writing BTW.Thumbsup. Sails....always the challenge as they are such a huge part of any model but particularly a schooner like the Bluenose. Something I have also shied away from. You are making a grand model Mark.

Cheers
Grant

ROTFHello Mark. Looking good Mnr. Loads of metal work on your Bluenose. Something I cannot get right. I love your labelling of the stays, ropes etc...a really good way to keep your sanity. Neat hand writing BTW.Thumbsup. Sails....always the challenge as they are such a huge part of any model but particularly a schooner like the Bluenose. Something I have also shied away from. You are making a grand model Mark.

Cheers
Grant
Thanks Grant, you are definitely way too kind. I actually have no real idea how to advance at this point, the thought of cutting up and re-stitching my only set of sails gives me the shivers. Still there's no rush, maybe I'll find some inspiration in the shower, or by trying to out-stare a deadeye ROTF

But you have reminded me ... I've been away from my model and SOS for a little while and need to catch up with the other builds, looking forward to seeing your progress with the Victory Thumbsup

Thanks Grant, you are definitely way too kind. I actually have no real idea how to advance at this point, the thought of cutting up and re-stitching my only set of sails gives me the shivers. Still there's no rush, maybe I'll find some inspiration in the shower, or by trying to out-stare a deadeye ROTF

But you have reminded me ... I've been away from my model and SOS for a little while and need to catch up with the other builds, looking forward to seeing your progress with the Victory Thumbsup
"out-stare a dead eye".....ROTFROTFROTFROTFROTFROTFROTFROTFROTF I have to remember that.

So now it seems that learning to stitch and sew might be yet another useful trade in the ever increasing repertoire of skills required to build a model ship :p
Extending your toolset is what it's called, I believe. ;)

Hey Frank, good morning.
I am honestly not aware what you are referring to. I merely pointed Nomad to a website of another builder, https://suburbanshipmodeler.com/category/bluenose-canadian-schooner/, who went to great lengths to detail his rigging of the Bluenose. I was by no means intentionally or unintentionally referring to your reply.
Johan
Johan, I just noticed the link to the Suburban Ship Modeller now, thanks for that! Yes I have been following his build quite closely even though he built from a different kit to mine. He is very meticulous, a bit out of my league, the way he produces all his plans in computer images and builds many of the parts himself. Next level stuff, but very informative. I learnt a lot from his blog, not just about the Bluenose but about sail ships in general. At least it took him hundreds of days to complete his model, makes him more human :p

Last edited:
Back