Bluenose Billing boats 576 build

need help... BB instructions (it's hard to call an instruction) shows metal thing should go into deadeye, but it does not fit... sand it down or how is best to make it smaller? also I'm looking for some coating to cover these metal parts, what kind of varnish or what could be used? deadeyes I'm planning to paint, plastic ones looks bad, for this price BB could include wooden ones :(

PXL_20231221_075015249.jpg

Hope you have a drawing where you can measure the correct length between the nailing / fixing point and the deadeye?!?
I would first cut the brass to the necessary length (f.e. red lines) - do not forget, that you need some length for the bow or eye after the ring of the deadeye)

afterwards you can try do reduce the thickness of the brass with sanding (green length) but you can also try to widen the eye at the deadeyes (blue arrows) with a small needle file, a drill etc. - maybe a combination of reducing the diameter and widening the hole will bring the result

PXL_20231221_075015249.jpg

thank you for insight - BB has very limited instructions, will measure length on general chart, do not want to make hole bigger in the deadeye, it looks fragile already...
I have some wooden ones w/o the hole, will check maybe it's possible to use them
should I varnish metal with something?

Hi Kundelis. Nice to see the build of you BB Bluenose.
In post #1 of this thread is a excel-list of Bluenose build:
Although it’s in the YQ-area, I have also included construction from other manufacturers. If you scroll down you will see several BB-builds.
Perhaps it will help you with some problems during your build.
I will ad your BN build-log to the list.
Regards, Peter

Back