Bluenose 1:100 by Amati

Last week, I started the build by unpacking the kit and reading the instructions. I reviewed the drawings and decided to label all the laser cut wood parts to correspond to the instructions/drawings. I then removed the keel from the wood sheet along with the bulkheads. After sanding the "dark" laser burn from the parts I started the assembly of the bulkheads by trial fitting them into the keel per the instructions. After making sure the bulkheads were square to the keel. I use titebond and glued the bulkheads in place. (Photo BN_Construc_001)

BN_Construc_001 copy.jpg

Construction of the Keel, bulkheads and false deck proceeded unusually easy. All bulkheads were sanded with 220 grit sandpaper before test fitting and gluing. I used an Engineering Square to insure the bulkheads were at 90 degrees to the keel. After the glue dried 24 hours I sanded the false deck with 600 grit sandpaper in preparation for gluing. Testing fitting the deck sections showed the need to sand down 2 bulkhead tops to get good contact with the deck.

BN_Construc_002.jpg

BN_Construc_003.jpg

BN_Construc_004.jpg

BN_Construc_005.jpg

After the false deck glue dried and the surface sanded with 600 grit sandpaper, I proceeded to locate the "Centerline" and mark it the length of the deck.
I proceeded with deck planking. To simulate seam, I use graphite pencil and scrubbed the edges of the planks as I installed them. I plan to come back and "Cut" cross lines at 40mm lengths to simulate individual laid planks.
Does 40mm plank length seem correct for the 1:100 model?
Should I "seal" the decking with light oak minwax poly before starting the hull planking or wait?

BN_Construc_006.jpg

BN_Construct_007.jpg

BN_Construc_008.jpg

IMG_7312.jpg

Planking Decks By Robert Hunt
I found this gem while searching the 2023 journals. I have printed it and hope to find answers to several planking questions.
Thank You Robert Hunt for the article.

Question to experienced modelers, should I seal the deck with polyurethane with light oak stain now, or wait until the hull is planked and ready for painting?

IMG_7312.jpg

Well, took the day and worked on calculating the number planks required for the side of my Amati Bluenose. Well, if could measure correctly with a steel rule, I could have been done in a short amount of time. But NO. I have to redo using a digital caliber. This provided me with the correct measurement of the plank width at 4mm / not 3mm. Good thing these old eyes did not accept the first calculation. As you can see in the photographs, it took 2 separate calculations to get the final answer. Now off to marking the individual bulkheads with the ribbon from the fanning chart.

BN_Construc_009.jpg

BN_Construc_010.jpg

BN_Cinstruc_011.jpg

One side marked. To be sure, I think I will repeat the procedure of measurements and calculations for the other side to ensure peace of mind.
Any helpful suggestions to this point?
I have not sealed the deck yet. Any comments?

BN_Construc_012.jpg

After the false deck glue dried and the surface sanded with 600 grit sandpaper, I proceeded to locate the "Centerline" and mark it the length of the deck.
I proceeded with deck planking. To simulate seam, I use graphite pencil and scrubbed the edges of the planks as I installed them. I plan to come back and "Cut" cross lines at 40mm lengths to simulate individual laid planks.
Does 40mm plank length seem correct for the 1:100 model?
Should I "seal" the decking with light oak minwax poly before starting the hull planking or wait?

View attachment 437029

View attachment 437030

View attachment 437031

View attachment 437032
I usually wait to put a poly finish on anything until I'm certain the finish will not be marred by my build activity. Glue sloppy fingers, scratches, tool marks etc. If there is something to be attached to the deck or hull that will make the application of a poly finish a fiddly thing then I'd do it right away.

Interlux Surfacing Putty
Has any member used this product? If so, please supply brief information If your just filling the hull imperfections and gaps there are many other products
I have not used this product but If you want to use this as wood filler there are probably many more products that are cheaper and easier to use. This Interlux product is primarily sold to real boat owners for their wood fill issues not modelers. Do a search on SOS and you will find much information in this regard.

MisterCA, thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. I thought there might be better alternatives. Being new to the wood ship building hobby, I am interested in learning more about alternatives. It appears there are many methods being used for sealing the hull and decks.

Hello Kurt,

You're really into this Bluenose kit, making very good process.
What I noticed in one of your last updates is that it appears as if your frames haven't been faired enough; I do see some discreet kinks in your lower plank (blue arrows). Also, towards the stern, it looks as if that plank is not following the intended contours (green arrows). It might be worth your time to do a little check.

IMG_0462.jpeg

You are on a very good way - looking good

I completely agree with you. I have to work though this mistake. I am learning as I proceed. I am changing my hull planking procedure for the other side to determine if it works better. More photographs to follow. Please feel free to critique the build process.

BN_Construc_019.jpg

Back