Blocks for Muscongus Bat Lobster Smack

Hi everyone,
I'm building MS's Lobster Smack as I work my way up to more complex kits. It seems like a good kit to learn on by I like to put in the extra effort on the details where I can. The twisted copper wire in the manual isn't a detail I want to include.

For the blocks in the kit, there are a couple with a hook and a becket and then another 5 with just the becket. The ship is meant to be in service starting in the late 1880's and I'm just not seeing a lot of illustrations from that time. More specifically, would these have brass straps instead of served rope stropping? What would the "becket" look like, a small loop in the strop or a thimble connected to the block by an internal metal strap?

Any references or pictures to improve the authenticity would be helpful for sure.
Thanks!

I HAVE THIS ONE WILL START LATTER THIS YEAR TO MUCH STARTING RIGHT NOW, AND RELOCATION TO ASSISTED LIVING FACILITY BEST FOR ME AND I ACCEPT WHERE JESUES CHRIST WANTS ME TO BE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Hi everyone,
I'm building MS's Lobster Smack as I work my way up to more complex kits. It seems like a good kit to learn on by I like to put in the extra effort on the details where I can. The twisted copper wire in the manual isn't a detail I want to include.

For the blocks in the kit, there are a couple with a hook and a becket and then another 5 with just the becket. The ship is meant to be in service starting in the late 1880's and I'm just not seeing a lot of illustrations from that time. More specifically, would these have brass straps instead of served rope stropping? What would the "becket" look like, a small loop in the strop or a thimble connected to the block by an internal metal strap?

Any references or pictures to improve the authenticity would be helpful for sure.
Thanks!
Maybe you can show us via a photo of the original part and / or an excerpt of the drawing or manual showing this detail?
This would make it for us easier to make some suggestions .....

Glennb17,

I have to admit that I didn't overthink it and just formed the strops for the various blocks out of wire as shown in the instructions (pages 20 & 25). You can see how they turned out in my log at Lobster Smack . Not perfect; just workable. Learning is constant so next time will be better.

Good luck & have fun with the model.

@JohnR , thanks, I have ruined the building process by ambition before ability. I do like a little extra project within the project though, spreading out a little.

@Uwek , here are a couple of pictures from the instruction manual
1660408922382.png1660409042698.png
This are kind of small and might not be a big deal, but I was wondering if the block below would be contemporary:
1660409269483.png
I found a cool manual of how to build this type of block. I've made built up blocks before from scratch, but not with a brass strap between the face and center. And I make nice, if not entirely consistently sized, hooks.
1660409955778.png
Anyway, may be letting my ambition run wild. It would be interesting to know if this proposed block would have been used at the introduction or even lifetime of the lobster smack.

Any insight appreciated.

Update: I found kits for the internally stropped blocks! It's a little lazy but I'll still be spending a bunch of time sanding and filing to get the right shape after I glue it up. I'm going to order a few and see if it's worth it. I'll try to post a few pics of the finished product once I get the kits and build them.
Thanks for the likes!

Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Hallo @glennb17
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back