Black Pearl - Zvezda 1/72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello again colleagues,
After a few years in the warehouse, it was the Black Pearl's turn.
An iconic movie ship, that I am making for my daughter, because I made a promise, and I had read somewhere, that promises should be kept.

The model is in 1/72 scale by the company Zvezda.
An extremely good model I would say - everything fits perfectly, very pleasant to work with, clear instructions.
Of course there will be improvements, but they will be more cosmetic, as I have a deadline which is the beginning of November.
However, I did play around with things like lighting, deck accessories, gun rigging, etc.
The ship was given a vintage paint job as pure black is very boring and sits as a souvenir.
I have used oil paints and patinas.
The factory dead eyes have been replaced with wooden ones, I'm still thinking about the blocks, but will see...
The sails from the kit are plastic,1.jpg6.jpg2.jpg6.jpg1.jpg15.jpg20.jpg23.jpg28.jpg29.jpg23.jpg28.jpg29.jpg30.jpg39.jpg40.jpg45.jpg51.jpg52.jpg54.jpg55.jpg59.jpg61.jpg63.jpg65.jpg68.jpg72.jpg74.jpg78.jpg79.jpg and of course I won't put them on.
Here are some pictures of how far I got it:

You are doing a stellar build on this kit!

I have this kit in my stash and because I have too many irons in the fire (too many unfinished kits and dioramas), I have only looked at the parts. And, I have a couple of issues with the kit. I do not like capstan around the main mast and it is hard to detail the cannons on the gun deck, because you set the guns first, then the hull sides.

You are doing a stellar build on this kit!

I have this kit in my stash and because I have too many irons in the fire (too many unfinished kits and dioramas), I have only looked at the parts. And, I have a couple of issues with the kit. I do not like capstan around the main mast and it is hard to detail the cannons on the gun deck, because you set the guns first, then the hull sides.
I have the same issues, and therefore, I have two in my stash:
The special edition will be built as the Pearl from the movies, with all the inappropriate details, and I hope to be able to emulate that fantastic wear finish.
The other one, the Swan, will be finished as a late XVII century east Indiaman. The capstan and the belfry will be corrected as well as some other small stuff.
I intend to built them with one side all guns run out, ready for action, end the other side peace time like, with a few ports open for ventilation, escape of wenches and the like.

The work is a masterpiece for sure, and the photos of the lights is grand as well.

Can't wait to see finished model, your daughter will be proud to have this.

I like your model. I once made Perła in the same style as yours, i.e. very dark, almost black, with similar gilding. I also made the sails black, lightened slightly in a few places to age the material.
I'm curious what it will look like with light colored sails...
Fingers crossedThumbsup

Back