Black Pearl - Zhl 1:50 by Rowboat

I'm a little late but thanks for the B-Day messages.

Trodding along with the build.

Some mistakes do to poor manual and one or two do to poor builder :rolleyes:.

Took these photos a while back , not sure why. They basically show the decking boards.
Fairly straight forward work. I did try to keep the mast holes lined between the decks.
DSC02425.JPGDSC02426.JPGDSC02427.JPGDSC02429.JPG

These next few show the hull decking.

DSC02430.JPGDSC02431.JPGDSC02432.JPGDSC02434.JPG

Here's and up-close of how I'm doing the stern wiring.
Hopefully my idea works out.

DSC02433.JPG

More to come.....

Last edited:
More building on the stern.
Basically cut the wood down to the proper fit and sand till it looks good. ;)
DSC02481.JPGDSC02482.JPGDSC02483.JPGDSC02484.JPGDSC02480.JPG

In the photo above one gets a quick peek to the secrets inside the captain's quarters.
Looks like a map to a secret treasure .... Banknote-USD
I did add some wood to each end of the cutout as the plans call for to big of a cutout.

.... more to come ....

Last edited:
Well either i didn't take any pictures between the last phase and this phase or I lost them.
One may ask " How do you lose an electronic image"? Good question.

When uploading from the camera a destination file is pre-selected, usually from the last upload.
My guess is I up-loaded to another directory on the computer to one of those pre-selected folders.

All that to say quite a bit of work has been done.
In the below pic one can see the Black Pearl is now black.
I used Minwax classic black satin stain.
DSC02574.JPG

In the below 2 pictures for the cheek rails, I custom cut and shaped the connecting head timbers.
The kit came with some nice looking ones but they did not fit. :confused:

DSC02575.JPG

DSC02576.JPG

The below picture shows where I added support under the board that will hold the hardware for the ratlines. This is not mentioned in the manual. IN fact if you leave open, for viewing, parts of the ship the manual never discusses or shows pictures of how to address these types of issues. They could have at least shown close ups of how they resolved these issues or given a heads up that .... well I guess I'm just rambling now so I'll let it go. Cautious
DSC02577.JPG

The stair case..... I only broke it once :eek:
I was very careful around it but some how I snapped the rail and busted all the railings on the left hand rail in the picture.

Also all those curled end pieces on the ships rail had two sides to them. They were to be glued together.
I initially only used one side (not by choice) ,,, and then sanded the rails to fit :mad:, dumb move. Eventually I figured it out and had to remove all the curled pieces and rebuild the railings and reglued everything.

It took just as much time deciding whether to do that as it did to actually do. I pondered quite long and hard before ripping it all apart.

DSC02578.JPG

IN the 2 below photos I left the hole in the hull for more viewing experience.
DSC02579.JPG

DSC02580.JPG

Well, now we are up todate on the build. Some may be thinking where are the cannons, captains wheel, along with those other bits that go on the deck. They got build but I'm not putting them on till the latest I can as trying to avoid breaking them.

"Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year"
...Rowboat

Last edited:
Well either i didn't take any pictures between the last phase and this phase or I lost them.
One may ask " How do you lose an electronic image"? Good question.

When uploading from the camera a destination file is pre-selected, usually from the last upload.
My guess is I up-loaded to another directory on the computer to one of those pre-selected folders.

All that to say quite a bit of work has been done.
In the below pic one can see the Black Pearl is now black.
I used Minwax classic black satin stain.
View attachment 344542

In the below 2 pictures for the cheek rails, I custom cut and shaped the connecting head timbers.
The kit came with some nice looking ones but they did not fit. :confused:

View attachment 344543

View attachment 344544

The below picture shows where I added support under the board that will hold the hardware for the ratlines. This is not mentioned in the manual. IN fact if you leave open, for viewing, parts of the ship the manual never discusses or shows pictures of how to address these types of issues. They could have at least shown close ups of how they resolved these issues or given a heads up that .... well I guess I'm just rambling now so I'll let it go. Cautious
View attachment 344545

The stair case..... I only broke it once :eek:
I was very careful around it but some how I snapped the rail and busted all the railings on the left hand rail in the picture. Also all those curled end pieces on the ships rail had two sides to them. They were to be glued together.
I initially only used one side (not by choice) ,,, and then sanded the rails to fit :mad:, dumb move. Eventually I figured it out and had to remove all the curled pieces and rebuild the railings and reglued everything.

It took just as much time deciding whether to do that as it did to actually do. I pondered quite long and hard before ripping it all apart.

View attachment 344546

IN the 2 below photos I left the hole in the hull for more viewing experience.
View attachment 344547

View attachment 344548

Well, now we are up todate on the build. Some may be thinking where are the cannons, captains wheel, along with those other bits that go on the deck. They got build but I'm not putting them on till the latest I can as trying to avoid breaking them.

"Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year"
...Rowboat
I remember those Timbers—painfully.

Good job Rowboat! I’ve been in Drydock for almost a year! Got into painting my miniatures for a Board game that was gifted to me! Problem is that with all the game expansions there are hundreds of these to paint!

My Pearl will be back after the 1st of the year! Moving on to the 2nd and final phase, starting with the masts and rigging! Actually, I never thought I would get that far when I first started! However, I think the break has done me good! Unfortunately, my life’s schedule didn’t allow me to work it straight through!

The Captain still lurks!

Good job Rowboat! I’ve been in Drydock for almost a year! Got into painting my miniatures for a Board game that was gifted to me! Problem is that with all the game expansions there are hundreds of these to paint!

My Pearl will be back after the 1st of the year! Moving on to the 2nd and final phase, starting with the masts and rigging! Actually, I never thought I would get that far when I first started! However, I think the break has done me good! Unfortunately, my life’s schedule didn’t allow me to work it straight through!

The Captain still lurks!

I have quite a few game miniatures to paint if you are offering :D.

I just received my latest game "Etherfields", it's a narrative driven dream game. Basically walking through a dream world trying to find yourself... lol
Very complicated at first but as we play it gets easier. Not sure if I'm a fan yet.

What game are you working on?

Rowboat, don’t you have some figures to paint from the BP? My daughter painted one of them for a friend and it was outstanding. She also does My Little Ponies for professional wrestlers. She shows them on Instagram at Rhiannamater

I have quite a few game miniatures to paint if you are offering :D.

I just received my latest game "Etherfields", it's a narrative driven dream game. Basically walking through a dream world trying to find yourself... lol
Very complicated at first but as we play it gets easier. Not sure if I'm a fan yet.

What game are you working on?
2nd Edition of Mansions of Madness! I have 5 additional expansions to paint now too! Ha:) I have to get back to the Pearl but the nice thing is that the miniatures work as great characters to put on the Pearl’s decks!

Rowboat, don’t you have some figures to paint from the BP? My daughter painted one of them for a friend and it was outstanding. She also does My Little Ponies for professional wrestlers. She shows them on Instagram at Rhiannamater
yep. And I did a not to good a job of that. :confused:

I glued them in thinking I could touch them up later but that ain't happ'en.

2nd Edition of Mansions of Madness! I have 5 additional expansions to paint now too! Ha:) I have to get back to the Pearl but the nice thing is that the miniatures work as great characters to put on the Pearl’s decks!
Mansions of Madness .. I have that one.
We really enjoy playing that. Everyone that has played it, so far, just loves it.
It can go a bit long though.

Mansions of Madness .. I have that one.
We really enjoy playing that. Everyone that has played it, so far, just loves it.
It can go a bit long though.
A few of my painted miniatures….(the ones on the right are just primed) Playing it for the first time on Dec. 23rd….any tips?B56078DE-2545-4DD6-A765-242C12D997FD.jpegF3AD76AC-500C-43A2-9156-3997AFCC6F45.jpeg
A01F1838-6350-4894-96BC-C63D4AA1ECC2.jpeg

A few of my painted miniatures….(the ones on the right are just primed) Playing it for the first time on Dec. 23rd….any tips?View attachment 344690View attachment 344691
View attachment 344692
Nice paint job!
One issue I had playing the game was figuring out what all the numbers meant on the back and front of the "creature/monster" cards.
Those are the cards that fit in the black stand the creatures stand on.
Just remember having to keep going back to the manual when playing and encountering a creature for the first time.
But overall, a very fun experience.
-Rowboat

Your miniature figures look like all the folks Doc Krattner painted on the back of Vasa!
Yeah Kurt…I said to my wife that the scale size of the eight Investigators (on round bases) fit right in with the Characters that came with my Black Pearl!

Nice paint job!
One issue I had playing the game was figuring out what all the numbers meant on the back and front of the "creature/monster" cards.
Those are the cards that fit in the black stand the creatures stand on.
Just remember having to keep going back to the manual when playing and encountering a creature for the first time.
But overall, a very fun experience.
-Rowboat
Thanks for the game tip! I’ll make a quick reference chart for each character so I don’t have to keep trolling through the game manual!

Back