Black Pearl 1:50 ZHL All-Scenario version

Right back at you Tony, Merry Christmas! Yeah, the break is long needed….so many other things to attend to, ha! I’ll be starting up again for the winter after the New Year….also have the San Felipe on the shelf….ha!
Looking forward to the San felipe build.

Pirate Lore, Myths & Legends #9

Ahoy mates!!!! It's time for me to wakeup from my 5-month slumber. Ha! I figured I'd start back with #9 in the series of Pirate Lore. Myths, & Legends. (just for some clarity) My Black Pearl is well and has been safely protected in Dry Dock since last October. (on my pool table) Hasn't helped my pool game but it is a good spot to keep my work on display as it undergoes its build. It has survived the Holidays, despite all the kids and adults poking and prodding at it. Ironically, all the LED's still work with the remote and with the switches and nothing got broken or fell off....Its odd to think I started the Pearl at the end of March 2021 and have almost a full year in on the build. My first call to action in 2022 is to make 14 Gun Port Covers and secure them to the hull. So, until I accomplish some progress so I can input my 1st Captain's Log of 2022, let me amuse you with some more Pirate Lore:

CALYPSO
Calypso.jpeg
Source: pirates.fandom.com

History
"A woman. He fell in love."
"No, no, no, I heard it was the sea he fell in love with."
"Same story, different versions. And all are true."
Tia Dalma and Joshamee Gibbs[src]

In the days of myth and legend, the beautiful Calypso, daughter of Atlas, ruled the wine-dark seas, and all sailorseverywhere both loved and feared her.
But because she too had mortal blood, Calypso fell in love with a young sailor, named Davy Jones. And she rewarded that love by giving Davy Jones the sacred task of collecting all the poor souls who died at sea, and ferrying them to the worlds beyond.
Now, because of that love, Davy Jones agreed to set foot on dry land once every ten years. And if this love was true to him, his task would be complete, and a new Captain of the Dutchman would be found.
But whenever Davy Jones came ashore, Calypso was nowhere to be found, for the seas are fickle and unpredictable, as was the powerful goddess who ruled that domain.
So, when the men of the sea - the Pirate Brethren - convened a great Conclave, Davy Jones plotted with them to tear the rule of the seas away from Calypso. With his help, the Brethren tricked the goddess and imprisoned her into the body of a mortal woman.
Soon Davy Jones' grief and guilt at what he had done became so great, he ripped his own heart - a heart that had betrayed him - right out of his chest, and locked it away. He then returned to the seven seas; only now sailors everywhere would fear him to the death, for Davy Jones had turned fierce and cruel, with an insatiable taste for all things brutal.
But then an ambitious mortal, who himself wished to rule the seas, came into possession of the hidden beating heart of Davy Jones. And this mortal knew that he could use that heart to make Davy Jones do his bidding.
Soon an ancient and horrible creature of the darkest deep - known as the Kraken - appeared upon those seas. And this terrible beast brought the master of the Flying Dutchman ever more souls onto his cursed ship, dead sailors forever impressed into servitude.
Now those Pirate Lords grew ever more fearful. But when they convened again, they only argued and fought among themselves, so afraid were they of Calypso's anger at their treachery.
But one of the brethren did not wait for agreement. Tricked by the goddess herself, he took all the tokens of their betrayal, the powerful items that had imprisoned Calypso...and he then undid the spell that bound her to mortal flesh. Now the goddess was free - and her wrath indeed became horrible to behold, and even worse to experience.
The enraged goddess Calypso gathered the waters of the ocean around herself in a giant whirlpool - a massive maelstrom - and a battle raged at the center of it. And it was in that very battle that Davy Jones' heart was pierced and he died, finally free for all eternity.
With his death, Davy Jones was welcomed back into the dark embrace of the seas; for Calypso in her own way still loved him. And his ship, the Flying Dutchman, received a new captain, and all was as it was meant to be.

Greek Mythology

Calypso2.jpeg

Source: Wikipedia

In Homer's Odyssey, Calypso attempts to keep the fabled Greek hero Odysseus on her island to make him her immortal husband, while he also gets to enjoy her sensual pleasures forever. According to Homer, Calypso kept Odysseus prisoner by force at Ogygia for seven years.[8] Calypso enchants Odysseus with her singing as she moves to and fro, weaving on her loom with a golden shuttle.

Odysseus comes to wish for circumstances to change. He can no longer bear being separated from his wife, Penelope, and wants to tell Calypso. He is seen sitting on a headland crying, and at night he is forced to sleep with her against his will.[9] His patron goddess Athena asks Zeus to order the release of Odysseus from the island; Zeus orders the messenger Hermes to tell Calypso to set Odysseus free, for it was not Odysseus's destiny to live with her forever. She angrily comments on how the gods hate goddesses having affairs with mortals.

Calypso provides Odysseus with an axe, drill, and adze to build a boat. Calypso leads Odysseus to an island where he can chop down trees and make planks for his boat. Calypso also provides him with wine, bread, clothing, and more materials for his boat. The goddess then sets wind at his back when he sets sail. After seven years Odysseus has built his boat and leaves Calypso.

Homer does not mention any children by Calypso. By some accounts that came after the Odyssey, Calypso bore Odysseus a son, Latinus,[10] though Circe is usually given as Latinus' mother.[11] In other accounts, Calypso bore Odysseus two children, Nausithous and Nausinous.[12]

The story of Odysseus and Calypso has some close resemblances to the interactions between Gilgamesh and Siduri in the Epic of Gilgamesh in that "the lone female plies the inconsolable hero-wanderer with drink and sends him off to a place beyond the sea reserved for a special class of honoured people" and "to prepare for the voyage he has to cut down and trim timbers."[13]

According to Hyginus, Calypso killed herself because of her love for Odysseus

Hey Tony, how goes it mate? Wow, we’re already two months gone in the New Year! My plate has been so full that I just haven’t found the necessary time or motivation to restart my Pearl….hopefully, I will light a fire under my butt and get back to work! Be well….and I pray that things are returning to a more normal life for you too! Crazy past two years and now the World watches more craziness in Ukraine!

Hey Tony, how goes it mate? Wow, we’re already two months gone in the New Year! My plate has been so full that I just haven’t found the necessary time or motivation to restart my Pearl….hopefully, I will light a fire under my butt and get back to work! Be well….and I pray that things are returning to a more normal life for you too! Crazy past two years and now the World watches more craziness in Ukraine!
Welcome back, Rick! My Soleil Royal log has developed a bit since you were active. And I’ve started a new log for the Galilee Boat. Send us lots of pictures. Show us one on the pool table.

We're slowly getting back to normal, funny now we can go out with a no restrictions nobody wants to. Still it's better than it was. I've been busy with my Unicorn the hull is nearly finished getting ready to start the rigging. On this build I have decided to make things hard for myself and make all my own rope, hope that works out OK.

Welcome back, Rick! My Soleil Royal log has developed a bit since you were active. And I’ve started a new log for the Galilee Boat. Send us lots of pictures. Show us one on the pool table.
Hi Vic,
Nice to hear from you! Go back to my Dec 1 thread and there are a couple pics of my Black Pearl on the pool table with the N scale trains for the kids to play with, one being me! Wow! You’re really moving’ along Vic. I’ll be up and running soon! Take care and say hi to the Mrs.

Hi Vic,
Nice to hear from you! Go back to my Dec 1 thread and there are a couple pics of my Black Pearl on the pool table with the N scale trains for the kids to play with, one being me! Wow! You’re really moving’ along Vic. I’ll be up and running soon! Take care and say hi to the Mrs.
Well not on the same pool table, I have my dry dock and ship yard in same workroom as my HO model railroad collection. Not much set up as most of my trackage is modular stored in a trailer between setup at shows.

Good to here you are back in the game :)
Loved your article.

Are you planning on making hatches for the cannon ports?

I'm still working at a snail's pace, continuing to work on planking the hull.

Last edited:
Loved your article.

Truth be told Rowboat, I never thought I would get beyond the planking! I’m in no rush to complete my Pearl, but I’m starting to become motivated again to get to the rigging!

Truth be told Rowboat, I never thought I would get beyond the planking! I’m in no rush to complete my Pearl, but I’m starting to become motivated again to get to the rigging!
(in reply to Rowboat #313) Yep, I have 15 to make! 4 in the Starboard side and 11 on the Port side….I completed my prototype and placed it! It’s a bit dusty…I learned a lot on this first one….14 more will be at least 30 hours of work for me! Slow process!
5473064F-54E0-4A0C-959F-120C20CF6843.jpeg

Last edited:
Loved your article.

15 total gun hatches…see pic above of hatch #1!

Back