Bismarck 1/200 Hachette rebuild

This section was a nightmare. The top left side had been tapered by 3mm from the centre. The reason totally escapes me but as a result the entire platform was skewed. Out came the exacto knife, sandpaper, emery boards and acetone to clean it all up. PE, as you all know is utterly unforgiving on irregular sufaces and no aligned areas. Tiny errors mean gaps and gaps means putty, but it may never look quite right even if puttied up, especially on a very geometric and complicated superstructure with many layers and levels

20240101_150558.jpg

Hi everyone. I have recently been working on the hangars next to the funnel. Some of these PE parts are minuscule and can be very difficult to place and glue. I left a bit of sprue on them to make it easier to pick up and then cut off the excess.

20240210_080252.jpg

20240210_084130.jpg

Last edited:
The little triangles are used as supports for a small platform and the rectangular piece is a step. The circle is where the platform support goes. I lost a few of these wedges and had to make some more out of PE fret. Starting to get better at the whole process.

dsBuffer.jpg

Last edited:
Hello again everyone. Just been working on this funnel and hangar section. It isn't news that Hachette kits are a bit high maintenance and need lots of attention to get a good result. Their plastic parts look good. Nicely molded etc but they don't always fit together so easily or well. The actual funnel took quite a bit of coercing in many dry fit stages and since there are no positioning tabs I finally decided to just do it bit by bit. It lined up reasonably well in the end but still required some sanding. It is close enough for me now but it could do with a little more finessing. The rear platform just does not fit at all. I tried all sorts of things and eventually decided to split it in half and then a bit of epoxy putty to disguise the sin. Ugly gaps between the funnel top and funnel also needed some putty

20240213_082340.jpg

Hello again. I really should take my own advice and "hurry slowly." Although, in my defence Hachette instructions for this and probably all of their kits bounce around like a ball in a pin-ball machine. This error of mine has been bugging me for a while so I decided to correct it. I don't like making mistakes and definitely don't like pulling apart what has already been done. It is very gratifying to solve problems, but not gratifying to make them. These hangars are supposed to have the inner wall sanded to half width so they don't protrude too close to the barbette. Out came my trusty box cutter, a crude but devastatingly effective weapon. Fortunately the walls are MDF and cut like butter. A bonus that half the wall stuck to the funnel and was easily scraped off which prompted me to pare the walls down with the box cutter and then only a light sand required.

20240214_070714.jpg

Last edited:
Back