billings boats for sale: WASA 490 and Cutty Sark 564 [SOLD]

I have 2 billings boats for sale. Boxes show typical wear from being stored on a shelf for many years.
The WASA appears complete. One parts plank is warped. See photo.
The Cutty Sark also appears complete. Bulkhead sections may have been separated from their parts plank however construction was not begun.

1. WASA No. 490
2. Cutty Sark NR. 564

Asking $400 each. Buyer pays for shipping.
Questions are welcomed.
Thank you

6598E514-A9D4-4478-9B2C-6C9C1DEF1C6A.jpeg

F1E631F3-E2C5-4A08-BF03-F50CA87C2EDE.jpeg

9B6D97CB-0C66-47AD-9845-791825987F31.jpeg

363C844E-04DB-4B1B-822E-9701D703459E.jpeg

711076AC-C923-45A4-AECE-3E9BF55CCE6C.jpeg

BA5063F1-A554-4CE0-B417-9BAAE4832EA9.jpeg

F916751B-91C1-4493-86BA-1AE73D1D3DA4.jpeg

F9FB3846-499D-46DF-82FE-5D23D9CC88AD.jpeg

5F66B180-0B23-4926-AAC7-E67A6E85E4BC.jpeg

7744B460-0135-444D-9E52-FBCA8887D94B.jpeg

EF4B2590-1ECE-4080-93CA-2D94C5D9BA06.jpeg

Maybe interested members should also read this topic with the Introduction by Jim - @Bill's Friend

I have a few questions to everyone. Is the asking price of these boats unreasonable? Are these common or unattractive builds? There is no interest here so I'm wondering why. Bill tells me that he paid quite a bit more than the asking price for these ships when he purchased them new. He built a number of ships prior to these that looked similar in complexity and skill level so I believe what he has shared with me. Before I gift them to someone here in the States I'm just wondering if anyone is interested in answering my questions and perhaps discussing a purchase option. Thank you for considering.

I have a few questions to everyone. Is the asking price of these boats unreasonable? Are these common or unattractive builds? There is no interest here so I'm wondering why. Bill tells me that he paid quite a bit more than the asking price for these ships when he purchased them new. He built a number of ships prior to these that looked similar in complexity and skill level so I believe what he has shared with me. Before I gift them to someone here in the States I'm just wondering if anyone is interested in answering my questions and perhaps discussing a purchase option. Thank you for considering.
I think that is a very good question ask. Wit sites like Ebay and Facebook market place which I have bought from both and haven't any problems with by any means, but with them there is a big option of bartering or people just wanting to get rid of their kits with taking a big cut.
With that being said do I think some of the companies are charging way more for these kits as quality of the supplies get cheaper but the cost is continuing to go up.
Take for instance Artesia Latinas kits now no longer have paper instructions, they are on a CD. Now you have to have your computer next to your build. I have heard many many of the old school kit builders that are absolutely appalled about that decision. Now I know for the company side it cuts their costs but in turn the price of the kit still goes up. So in the instance I consider it a lose lose situation.

Hello Bill's Friend,

I'm not sure what the proper price is for kits such as these. I will share that each of these are MAJOR builds that will take someone months (or years) to accomplish. That's not for everyone so that might depress the level of interest. They also build into quite large models that some folks might not be interested in. That said, people are building these ships (from Billings and other manufacturers) on this site and others so there IS someone out there...

Anyway, just some passing thoughts.

Hello Bill's Friend,

I'm not sure what the proper price is for kits such as these. I will share that each of these are MAJOR builds that will take someone months (or years) to accomplish. That's not for everyone so that might depress the level of interest. They also build into quite large models that some folks might not be interested in. That said, people are building these ships (from Billings and other manufacturers) on this site and others so there IS someone out there...

Anyway, just some passing thoughts.
Thank you for your reply. I have tried Marketplace and other online sales sites but there wasn’t any interest. Finding the correct audience is often the key to sales success. Being a complete novice to these ships leaves me at the starting gate of this hobby so no ideas about chat rooms, interest sites, etc. I’d like to find a home for both kits and in that way honor my friend. I’m not as concerned with price as I am with the boats being valued and enjoyed. My experience is that people express how they value something by willingness to pay for it. I have given away many valuable RC airplanes only to watch them be treated poorly or collect dust. That hurts me. Most of the things I build or buy have an emotional as well as financial value. When I give away something I anticipate that it will be valued. I never express my disappointment to the person when that doesn’t happen, but I see it, it hurts and unfortunately it is quite common. I really hate it when I get talked into a gift or charity sale only to have the receiver go on to brag about how they “scored” the item or got away with a deceit then resell at a much higher price. That is plain evil that I believe will be recompensed in this life and after. Yet it still hurts to be the victim.
Anyway, thank you for your observations.

Last edited:
I think that is a very good question ask. Wit sites like Ebay and Facebook market place which I have bought from both and haven't any problems with by any means, but with them there is a big option of bartering or people just wanting to get rid of their kits with taking a big cut.
With that being said do I think some of the companies are charging way more for these kits as quality of the supplies get cheaper but the cost is continuing to go up.
Take for instance Artesia Latinas kits now no longer have paper instructions, they are on a CD. Now you have to have your computer next to your build. I have heard many many of the old school kit builders that are absolutely appalled about that decision. Now I know for the company side it cuts their costs but in turn the price of the kit still goes up. So in the instance I consider it a lose lose situation.
I think I understand what you are saying. I’m willing to bargain concerning price. My concern is that these go to someone who will value them. That is how I intended to honor Bill. How much someone will value something is generally reflected in their willingness to pay a substantial amount of what it’s worth. If I knew that perfect recipient I would give these away and pay Bill out of my own resources. That is how I value my friendship. He will soon die. His biggest worry isn’t his family or friends. All are good. No regrets or issues to repair. His biggest concern is seeing his collections from a lifetime of many hobbies, going to a person or people who will value them as much as he did. I’m trying to help him reach that goal.

Last edited:
I think I understand what you are saying. I’m willing to bargain concerning price. My concern is that these go to someone who will value them. That is how I intended to honor Bill. How much someone will value something is generally reflected in their willingness to pay a substantial amount of what it’s worth. If I knew that perfect recipient I would give these away and pay Bill out of my own resources. That is how I value my friendship. He will soon die. His biggest worry isn’t his family or friends. All are good. No regrets or issues to repair. His biggest concern is seeing his collections from a lifetime of many hobbies, going to a person or people who will value them as much as he did. I’m trying to help him reach that goal.
I completely understand where you are coming from. I do believe that you are in the best place to be able to do that. I see more pride in this forum than anywhere else. Yes some of the groups on Facebook are good and some arent and it's a toss up on that. And I completely understand about wanting it to be appreciated and treasured as an accomplishment, these ships are very much an accomplishment in themselves. And like dock said these kits will provide whomever a great deal of time in construction and hopefully many years of admiration to come after. This is why all the one I have built so far are in a big glass case. The misses is going to he really mad when i have to build a new one for my current build lol.

UPDATE! Thank you everyone who responded and shared insight and advice. These have sold to someone who will value them. Bill is pleased. Best wishes to all.

Maybe interested members should also read this topic with the Introduction by Jim - @Bill's Friend

Thank you for your help. These were sold to a man who I think will appreciate them. I don’t see a way to cancel the advertisement on the sales section. Would you be able to assist with that?
Thank you again
Bill’s Friend

Back