Biggest novice ship building mistakes!

In my quest to become a adequate ship builder, can/would anyone write down what they see as the most common mistake novice builders make? I don’t want to have to say, if i only knew this, my model i just spent 6 months building would be so much better!
I appreciate being in a forum with soooo much expert knowledge.
Putting blocks and pulleys on upside down. The hole should be closest to the seized end of the pulley

Everything Kurt said (Darvis Architects) and avoid letting perfect get in the way of good. Also..remember that persistence is the modelers friend.

A model builder is CERTAINLY his/her own worst critic. If you are afraid of making mistakes (and thus learning from them), then you've stopped yourself before you even get started. You have to be willing to build the first couple of models WITH flaws in order to develop skills that allow you to build better ones later on and each model you build is at least 50% better than the last one. Let go of the "I should have's" and push forward. If you are on your first model, choose a simpler model to teach you planking and rigging or you will run into one helluva frustrating time building that HMS Victory you've been eyeballing. Cdnfurball is 100% right when he says that others will be in awe of even your first build, even if it is ugly in your eyes.

This forum acts as a support group for new builders as well as experienced ones, but you have to be willing to put your work out there in pictures and ask questions.

Last edited:
The biggest (and saddest) mistake I see beginners do is starting with a kit they are not ready for thinking "How hard can it be? I'm a (insert professional title here) and I can build this toy."... They end up getting frustrated with it and drop out of the hobby never to be seen again.
This is exactly what I have done in my adventure into scratch building. I am embarrassed at the arrogance that I approached the new field. I have most definitely have had to eat my words and thoughts. I have taken many steps back, but I have not given up.

Bill

Mistakes come to all of us. Many for me. Some are actually due to the order of the instructions in the instruction book that is provided. I have once in awhile gotten to the point in construction that I found I should have done things in a different order than instructed. As long as it did not involve the rigging it was usually relatively easy to correct. My problem - In my eagerness to get started I failed to read all the instructions and go over them again to make sure the order of assembly makes sense and I follow it. Or at least know what I have to change to make life easier. Many other members will provide you with construction advice so I will leave that to more experienced modellers; however, I do have one piece of non-construction advice - since you will be working with very small pieces make sure your floor is such that when you drop small items (and you will often) that you can easily find them!!

Happy modelling !

Bill

The biggest (and saddest) mistake I see beginners do is starting with a kit they are not ready for thinking "How hard can it be? I'm a (insert professional title here) and I can build this toy."... They end up getting frustrated with it and drop out of the hobby never to be seen again.
So true...

This is exactly what I have done in my adventure into scratch building. I am embarrassed at the arrogance that I approached the new field. I have most definitely have had to eat my words and thoughts. I have taken many steps back, but I have not given up.

Bill
Very glad to hear you have not given up ! :)

My first build was a Midwest Indian Girl Canoe and I made plenty of errors but I see them and others don't. The point is that we learn from our mistakes. You have to just realize that mistakes and construction errors are how you are going to improve and things are never perfect. Walk away if you need a break and it will seem better when you return.

In my quest to become a adequate ship builder, can/would anyone write down what they see as the most common mistake novice builders make? I don’t want to have to say, if i only knew this, my model i just spent 6 months building would be so much better!
I appreciate being in a forum with soooo much expert knowledge.
At the risk of repeating Dave, incorrect planking really grates on me. There is so much information online it doesn't need me to explain the procedure.
But, regrettably it is commonly the method of the lower grade kit; it also helps you to identify who the 'low grade' producers are! The amount of people who have said , 'THAT'S what the instructions say'! in defense. So before you put glue to wood research, research, and then research.
Check out builds from different companies, particularly the long standing European ones, and you'll soon find the culprits. Also look at the builds on Facebook forums. Look for planks that haven't been tapered and are buckling behind the stem doe to incorrect bending.
I showed a girlfriend the side view of a hull and asked, do the planks curve up, or down. 'Up' she replied. I changed the angle of view to look along the plank, 'What about now?'....with a sudden realisation..."Oooh, the sneaky b*stards". Planks curve down at the stem!!!

A rookie mistake is not sanding enough…sanding such as the planked hull is tedious and many a beginner cut it short…
I agree totally! I have built just a few ships, but one of them - Occre's Ulisses - I was in a bit of a rush. And it showed. I just finished the Norden, a smaller, fishing boat - took my time, went slow, checked the seating fo the planks before gluing them, and then sanded, filled, and sanded again. A much better outcome!

A model builder is CERTAINLY his/her own worst critic. If you are afraid of making mistakes (and thus learning from them), then you've stopped yourself before you even get started. You have to be willing to build the first couple of models WITH flaws in order to develop skills that allow you to build better ones later on and each model you build is at least 50% better than the last one. Let go of the "I should have's" and push forward. If you are on your first model, choose a simpler model to teach you planking and rigging or you will run into one helluva frustrating time building that HMS Victory you've been eyeballing. Cdnfurball is 100% right when he says that others will be in awe of even your first build, even if it is ugly in your eyes.

This forum acts as a support group for new builders as well as experienced ones, but you have to be willing to put your work out there in pictures and ask questions.
I have been frustrated by my mistakes, but it never deterred me. As they say, "A doctor buries his mistakes, but an architect puts a plant in front of his". When I have made mistakes - e.g. rough-edged planking, tears in the plastic hull, messy wood connections, etc. I always say to myself, "Hey, this boat was in hard service and the sloppy repairs are just part of the history of the boat. I then am able to sleep at night!

There is another error or omission - shiny metal parts. As far as I know, in most kits, parts (guns, hinges, anchors, rings) made of brass and the modeler in such a “golden” form are placed on the model, and because of this, the impression of the model is greatly deteriorated. All these details on the real ship were black and it would be better to make them black on the model too. For this purpose, there are special liquids for chemical bluing, which are sold in gun stores or in online modeling stores.

I have been frustrated by my mistakes, but it never deterred me. As they say, "A doctor buries his mistakes, but an architect puts a plant in front of his". When I have made mistakes - e.g. rough-edged planking, tears in the plastic hull, messy wood connections, etc. I always say to myself, "Hey, this boat was in hard service and the sloppy repairs are just part of the history of the boat. I then am able to sleep at night!
It seems to me that if the model is built in a clean, academic style, then it is better to avoid dirt, scratches and other damage of this kind. There is a different style in modeling - when the model looks old, beaten, “traversed the seas,” “tired of life.”:) The famous master Vladislav Zhdan builds his models in this style.

IMG-20230917-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20231016-WA0004.jpg

0632b.jpg

09-15-25-show_file.jpg

It seems to me that if the model is built in a clean, academic style, then it is better to avoid dirt, scratches and other damage of this kind. There is a different style in modeling - when the model looks old, beaten, “traversed the seas,” “tired of life.”:) The famous master Vladislav Zhdan builds his models in this style.

View attachment 428634

View attachment 428635

View attachment 428636

View attachment 428637
My models always seem to achieve that beaten, weathered appearance through lack of skill and experience in wood finishing and simple sloppy painting and workmanship! :rolleyes:
Control of the amount of glue used per application and excess glue cleanup while working is something beginners often lack, and being able to paint with a steady hand along edges. I still wrestle with that.

Mistakes come to all of us. Many for me. Some are actually due to the order of the instructions in the instruction book that is provided. I have once in awhile gotten to the point in construction that I found I should have done things in a different order than instructed. As long as it did not involve the rigging it was usually relatively easy to correct. My problem - In my eagerness to get started I failed to read all the instructions and go over them again to make sure the order of assembly makes sense and I follow it. Or at least know what I have to change to make life easier. Many other members will provide you with construction advice so I will leave that to more experienced modellers; however, I do have one piece of non-construction advice - since you will be working with very small pieces make sure your floor is such that when you drop small items (and you will often) that you can easily find them!!

Happy modelling !

Bill
I'm convinced small parts fall into another dimension!

Back