Big Fingers Big model ships

2 months ago I decided to switch my hobby interests from 1/12 scale formula one cars, back to my true passion Model ships!! I started building model ships back in the 80s My Uncle got me started He was a Scratch builder! sense than I have built model ships off and on the first ship I built was a period Tug the Sequin a single planked ship the final ship I built was a 30" HMS Bomb Vessel the ship was small and very detailed the rigging was a nightmare for my big fingers!!! So I decided this time to give a try to a much larger model in hope that it might be a little easier, I didn't want to spend a lot of$$$$ on my first large model so I decided on the La Soleil 1/70 scale! Well, what I am finding out is yes the parts are bigger but the detail is also much bigger and easier to see so care must be taken! were as small models are much more forgiving in that area! If I can get through this kit which I am realizing now will take a considerable amount of time My real interest is building a Le Requin full rib kit from ZHL it is a bruiser of a model 47" but also a bruiser of and expense!! $1200 I was looking through eBay the other day and found a Le Requin full ribbed kit in the 34 to 36" range for a little less money. the reason I am looking at a smaller kit is Available Space! to display these large models!! You need space and mine is full of ships and model cars and!!!! my wife has been tolerant of my hobbies but wall space is at a premium in our house!!! the moral to this story is big is always not better and don't build a kit that you do not have a place to display it.

The journey is the reward !!!

If you build a Le Requin in 1:48 you have maybe 2 years of pure fun

Back