Best way to get thin + firm rigging for passenger ship models

Hey all... I have a number of models of liners that I have built and have always relied on the thinnest florist wire I can find to add rigging to them ships, but what I really want to do is get something even thinner, like a thread of sorts, treated in some kind of way that will keep it super rigid but still be thin. Anyone have any suggestions for me? I have some new 1/500 kits that I am building and they really would look out of sale to use that florist wire rigging...

I'm fascinated by the ultra-thin wire Uwe showed from Dry Dock. I never knew such a thing existed...

I have never done this - but I saw someone once use plastic strips (thin round Evergreen bars) heated over a flame until soft and then pulled apart to create a very thin strand of plastic. Might be worth an experiment...

There is the possibility for ultra thin metal wire (often used for aeroplanes and ships) - I know that f.e. @Dry-Dock Models & Parts offers such wire

The thinnest with 0,028 mm, which is half of an average human hair (0,05 to 0,08mm) !!!!

View attachment 400957

Thank you for that heads up, I will definitely look into those, they sound like a good solution.

There is the possibility for ultra thin metal wire (often used for aeroplanes and ships) - I know that f.e. @Dry-Dock Models & Parts offers such wire

The thinnest with 0,028 mm, which is half of an average human hair (0,05 to 0,08mm) !!!!

View attachment 400957

Thank you again, Uwe, I ordered a couple of thicknesses and will see how they work out... looks to be half the thickness of what I am using right now, which would be perfect :cool:

I'm fascinated by the ultra-thin wire Uwe showed from Dry Dock. I never knew such a thing existed...

I have never done this - but I saw someone once use plastic strips (thin round Evergreen bars) heated over a flame until soft and then pulled apart to create a very thin strand of plastic. Might be worth an experiment...
Stretched sprue/plastic rod. Heat over match/candle until the sprue bends by itself and then pull apart. Cut to approximate length and glue in place, keeping as tight as possible. Once cured, heat a metal pin and hold near the plastic. This should cause the plastic to tighten. Then paint.

Back