Belle Poule 1780 1:72 - Sail and Sail Model by zoly99sask

Hi Zoly. I trust it's the photograph that casts shadows but the fifth plank from the bottom - port side (stem) - is not fitting nicely. That picture would suggest it needs either edge beveling and/or narrowing
Hello Heinrich

The shadow creating that clinker effect but it will be fine when I sand it and all the planks eill be even and smooth ,if there is a gap somewhere ,well unfortunately cannot be fixed althoug the wale will be painted and stained black so I can use filler bit here and there if necessary.

Thank you Zoly. I thought it may be the picture that was casting an untoward shadow.

Hello Heinrich

The shadow creating that clinker effect but it will be fine when I sand it and all the planks eill be even and smooth ,if there is a gap somewhere ,well unfortunately cannot be fixed althoug the wale will be painted and stained black so I can use filler bit here and there if necessary.
Great progress by you. It looks like the plastic deadwood at the stem and stern really pay their way in simplifying setting the individual planks/strakes. Rich

I posted this in Donnie's build log as well - thoughts?

I do not see why they suggest removing the char on these fiddly pieces as none of them are exposed when the model is complete. Aside from adjusting the sand lines as indicated, sanding the rest is a waste of time - no?
206258EE-78EC-406C-9303-FAC79640E2E6.jpeg
BE54B054-57D9-4A6B-8F2A-6C6606B04B5E.jpeg
5E6BFA6F-E166-46CC-B6D9-5BC6C5F4E9E9.jpeg

interesting that even at this point you still haven't installed the upper railing (which was noted in the instructions way back at the beginning). It's a good idea what you are doing, but I am wondering why S&S has this in the manual - unless they wanted the frames to be much more supported or stabilized.

interesting that even at this point you still haven't installed the upper railing (which was noted in the instructions way back at the beginning). It's a good idea what you are doing, but I am wondering why S&S has this in the manual - unless they wanted the frames to be much more supported or stabilized.
When I finished the planking I will decide to do or not,depends on what is the next few steps in the instruction manual

but I am wondering why S&S has this in the manual - unless they wanted the frames to be much more supported or stabilized.
I think you are correct Donnie, the rails are supposed to stabilize the frames before assembling the second parts of the skeleton. Unless you want to put inserts between the upper parts of the frames.

I think you are correct Donnie, the rails are supposed to stabilize the frames before assembling the second parts of the skeleton. Unless you want to put inserts between the upper parts of the frames.

There is very little need for stabilization from what I am seeing. The rails would get in the way at this stage in my opinion.

I guess the total number of "short" frames with all the filling elements between and (i think) two planks are stabile enough to get the complete system rigid.
On POF kits you can often adjust the order of construction in such a way the modeler likes or is used to it.
The same with the manufacturer - once the designer has to make decision, in which order he will show in the instruction..... but often there are several roads bringing us to the destination we

It’s looking really nice I’m about to start cutting out the gun port’s on mine. There should be no reason why one couldn’t plank over the paper after the preparation for the openings are complete. What do you think ?

Back