Beagle by OcCre 1/60 ~ Bertie's Second Build

This is what my model looks like this morning.

PC070004.JPG

She has a terrible skin disease - the mange!

PC070003.JPG

Close up you can see that the varnish has been discoloured by the copper, and then has begun to crack and peel away.

PC060002.JPG

It flakes off quite readily. I can wipe away the flaking material without problems but there are more areas where the varnish is discoloured but at the moment, soundly attached. To remove that I will have to use alcohol which may cause the copper to peel away from the hull in places. Removing all of the copper is impossible - It takes minutes to remove a single plate because it is so fragile and tears into tiny pieces. I am tempted to paint the whole thing brown, following application of a suitable metal primer.

Does anyone have a better suggestion?

Bertie that was very well documented and interesting. I've learnt quite a bit from the updates and I will follow your build aas you progress. Cheers.

View attachment 344382

View attachment 344383

Close up you can see that the varnish has been discoloured by the copper, and then has begun to crack and peel away.

View attachment 344384

It flakes off quite readily. I can wipe away the flaking material without problems but there are more areas where the varnish is discoloured but at the moment, soundly attached. To remove that I will have to use alcohol which may cause the copper to peel away from the hull in places. Removing all of the copper is impossible - It takes minutes to remove a single plate because it is so fragile and tears into tiny pieces. I am tempted to paint the whole thing brown, following application of a suitable metal primer.

leave it as it darkens over time, it will be very truthful

Bertie that was very well documented and interesting. I've learnt quite a bit from the updates and I will follow your build as you progress. Cheers.

I'm pleased that you liked it. Thanks for the encouragement which is especially welcome this morning!

View attachment 344382

View attachment 344383

View attachment 344384

Maybe just let the copper weather naturally after removing the varnish. It will, or should give it a more authentic look.

Maybe just let the copper weather naturally after removing the varnish. It will, or should give it a more authentic look.

If I remove only the cracked varnish the final effect will be even more modulated. I'm liking the idea of doing as little as possible and seeing what happens. It's probably best not to rush into a repair. Thanks @ConsNZ and @Frank48.

PC070005.JPG

Today I finished the assembly of the head. Well the foundations of it at least. It's gratifyingly symmetrical! Then it was time to mount the thing on its base. What a difference that makes! I've been so accustomed to seeing it lying on its beam ends that I'd almost forgotten it is supposed to be upright.

PC070006.JPG

So I had to do what I'm sure we all do and temporarily plant the masts to see what it's going to be like at the end. Before I could do that I had to drill a big hole into the forecastle to accept the bowsprit.

That was a bit of a scary moment but it looks OK to me.

PC070007.JPG

This cheap clinometer (?) was invaluable for taking the 20deg angle from the plans and providing a sighting line for the hole drilling.

Now the boat is on the stand, the scabby coppering is hardly noticeable, by the way. :)

View attachment 344428

Today I finished the assembly of the head. Well the foundations of it at least. It's gratifyingly symmetrical! Then it was time to mount the thing on its base. What a difference that makes! I've been so accustomed to seeing it lying on its beam ends that I'd almost forgotten it is supposed to be upright.

View attachment 344429

So I had to do what I'm sure we all do and temporarily plant the masts to see what it's going to be like at the end. Before I could do that I had to drill a big hole into the forecastle to accept the bowsprit.

That was a bit of a scary moment but it looks OK to me.

View attachment 344430

This cheap clinometer (?) was invaluable for taking the 20deg angle from the plans and providing a sighting line for the hole drilling.

Now the boat is on the stand, the scabby coppering is hardly noticeable, by the way. :)
Correct; inclinometer or clinometer is an instrument used for measuring angles of slope, elevation, or depression. Your model is looking really good. Cheers.

Correct; inclinometer or clinometer is an instrument used for measuring angles of slope, elevation, or depression. Your model is looking really good. Cheers.

Thank you! When I used them at work we called them 'clinos' and I suddenly wondered whether the ...meter was the right suffix. :D I think in this hobby we should all teach each other the right terminology as a matter of routine. I promise never to be offended when I'm educated like that.

Thank you! When I used them at work we called them 'clinos' and I suddenly wondered whether the ...meter was the right suffix. :D I think in this hobby we should all teach each other the right terminology as a matter of routine. I promise never to be offended when I'm educated like that.
As an old Dude I had to refresh my memory and checked the dictionary. ;) I'm still very much confused with all the rigging terminology and ship/boat parts so I agree life continues to be an education.

Despite everything I said above I couldn't resist playing around with some of the patination processes. Vinegar and salt worked and turned the copper slightly pink. This was a little boring. Priory Polishes Patination Fluid worked strikingly well and produced an irregular black (Copper sulphide) finish. I liked this better and once it had been rubbed down and polished with some steel wool was quite pleased.

I love the patterns and the way it varies so much in different areas. The colour is a bit monochromic though, and I intend to boil some eggs later and try for a little blue/green on top.

PC090008.JPGPC090009.JPGPC090010.JPGPC090011.JPG

I've been spending a lot of time reading @GrantTyler 's epic log of his Mantua Victory build. That started off by inspiring me but after 20 pages or so it began to have the opposite effect. I was learning how much I have yet to learn. Prior to this insight I was a happy incompetent who was having a lot of fun finding out how to do stuff my way - afterwards I was in danger of becoming worried about all of the challenges to come. So I'll refrain from looking at others' builds for the present and concentrate on my own exploratory play instead.

I've been spending a lot of time reading @GrantTyler 's epic log of his Mantua Victory build. That started off by inspiring me but after 20 pages or so it began to have the opposite effect. I was learning how much I have yet to learn. Prior to this insight I was a happy incompetent who was having a lot of fun finding out how to do stuff my way - afterwards I was in danger of becoming worried about all of the challenges to come. So I'll refrain from looking at others' builds for the present and concentrate on my own exploratory play instead.
Ditto.

I think we can only learn well from people who are a limited way in front of us. I could learn nothing from Sheldon Cooper or even Howard Wolowitz but I'm sure Penny could teach me a thing or two.
Penny is the bestest and in many ways is more life knowledgeable and in some ways manipulates the others. Great show but no Monty Python. I'm enjoying your build and learning lots. Cheers.

PC100012.JPG

It's been a cloudy day here which made capturing the hues of the copper a little difficult. The sun did shine briefly and lit it up spectacularly but this being England that might not happen again this year so this is the best I can do. Even in this light there are reds, blues, greens, oranges and black. It may not be realistic but I like it!

145 hours elapsed

Back