Beachcomber Alpha Dory in 1/2" [COMPLETED BUILD]

This is my first thread posted in this build log. I took a 30-ish year hiatus from ship and boat building to work on my model railroading hobby. I now have a completed model railroad layout. During that time, I did build a few ships and boats to incorporate into the scenes but they were all water line models. (I posted a few photos in another thread.)
I thought I would ease my way back into ship building by completing a boat I intended to build back in the early 1990s: a Beachcomber Alpha Dory in 1/2":1-ft scale. I used the offsets from John Gardner's Dory Book. I used my old drafting set from high school to complete this drawing:
1 - Beachcomber Drawing.JPG
After photo copying the drawing, I started construction with the bottom and the centerboard/box assembly:
2 - Constructing the bottom and C board.JPG
Because I like to complicate things, I made the centerboard operational:
3 - Centerboard and box.JPG
The bottom will be cut to roughly the layout lines. I will leave some room for shaping:
4 - Bottom with slot.JPG
To build the frames I constructed a fixture from sheet and strip styrene. I used plastic so the yellow glue used for the wood would not stick. I realized later my mistake. The frames should overlap at the bottom but I built them as one piece. The cross brace at the top will be glued the the base board. The center cross brace is to mark the shear plank. 5 - Framing Jig with Frame 1.jpgHere is the set of 6 frames. I later realized my second (of many) mistakes: Frames A and B are only to help shape the hull and are not frames. Also, I should have cut or bent some of the frames. Oh well....
6 - Frames.JPG
Next up: combining the frames with the bottom and on to planking.
Pete

1 - Beachcomber Drawing.JPG

I wish you a lot of fun with this project

Work continues on the Beachcomber:
I "steam" bent the stem by microwaving the wood in a bath of water. Then formed on a jig made of styrene
7 - Forming the Stem.JPG
After cutting out the bottom, I started gluing the frames:
8 - Frames on Bottom.JPG
Once the all the frames were glued to the bottom, I flipped it over and glued them to an MDF board to served as a strong back. The garboard plank is being installed first:
9 - Garboard Plank.JPG
Planking continued to the shear plank. Adding the braces on the frames at the shear location was a great help in alignment:
11 - Shear Plank Installed.JPG
Once the glue dried, I was able to cut the hull from the strongback:
12 - Hull Freed from the Strongback.JPG
The frames were trimmed back to the shear plank. the transom and stem were left a little proud to be cut to their final length later. The centerboard assembly is dry fit only at this time:
13 - Hull Trimmed with CB.JPG
A lot of sanding and finishing are still ahead.
Pete

I continue work on the B-A Dory. With the hull planking complete, I installed the false stem. The wood was "steamed" in a microwave/water bath, then formed to the general shape using the mold from the stem. I used some half round stripwood for the gunwale.
14 - Installing False Stem.JPG
The hull was primed before wood stiffeners and thwart risers were installed per the Gardner drawing. Thwarts were cut and dry fit into the boat.
15 - Hull Primed with Thwarts.JPG
There is a cuddy in the aft for storage. Because I can't help myself, I made small hatch removable. I have no plan to keep it that way...
16 - Cuddy (1).JPG16 - Cuddy (2).JPG
Finally, I formed a mast from strip wood and dry fit it through a hole in the forward thwart into a step on the bottom.
If we learn from our mistakes, I must be getting REAL smart!
Pete

Brother Pete:
Nice going! I really like the idea of building models of small craft from the plans intended for building a full-size boat. John Gardner's books are marvelous. Fair winds!

Thanks, AndyA. It's been fun, but a challenge to try and adapt full-size boat building techniques to my miniature model. Some things work and others don't. But that's ok.
I am currently reading Gardner's "Building Classic Small Craft" book. He describes how to build over 20 small rowing and/or sailing boats. My biggest problem will be deciding which one to build next!
Another cool source of inspiration has been viewing Mark Reuten's YouTube channel (Nomad Boatbuilding). He goes through the process of building boats for clients. I have picked up a few tips to use in my model building.
Now, back to the shop!
Pete

Pete:
Here are pics of a RC St. Pierre dory from plans in Gardner's "The Dory Book." She's 1:12 scale and, as an operating vessel, required a few deviations from scale. I'll check out Reuten's channel. When I'm home, I'll pass along some recommendations for other books about boatbuilding.
Andy

stpierre 1.JPGstpierre 5.jpg

Morghy:
Grazie per le gentili parole. Il pescatore guarda fuori del finestra anterior mentre guida.
Ciao!

Work continues, but a bit slower than expected. I keep finding other things taking up much of my time lately.
I hand carved/shaped a mast that is dry fit through the thwart.
17 - Dry Fit Mast.JPG
I used a photo copy of the drawing in the Gardner book to fabricate the rudder and it's yoke.
18 - Rudder Construction.JPG
The gudgeons are short lengths of brass tubing mounted onto small brass plate on the transom. The long wire helps keep everything aligned.
19 - Brass pintles.JPG
Finally, I gave the interior a coat or 2 of gray paint, leaving the thwarts unpainted.
19 - Interior Painted.JPG
Now I need to work on adding all the interior details and start on the rigging.
Pete

I am currently reading Gardner's "Building Classic Small Craft" book. He describes how to build over 20 small rowing and/or sailing boats. My biggest problem will be deciding which one to build next!
That's a great book. Other books regarding traditional small craft and making models of them are listed below. Some of these include plans and offsets.
  • American Small Sailing Craft, Howard Chapelle
  • Boatbuilding, Howard Chapelle
  • Skiffs and Schooners, R.D. Culler
  • The Dory Book, John Gardner
  • Simplified Boatbuilding: The Flat-bottom Boat, Harry Sucher
  • Simplified Boatbuilding: The V-bottom Boat, Harry Sucher
  • Scottish Fishing Vessels of the Nineteenth Century: A Guide to Building Scale Model Boats, Hamish Barber
  • The Dory Model Book, Harold "Dynamite" Payson
  • The Little Boats: Inshore Craft of Atlantic Canada, Ray MacKean & Robert Percival
  • Model Boat Building: The Spritsail Skiff, Steve Rogers & Patricia Stacy-Rogers (Rogers has several other books about modeling other small craft)
Also, any of the numerous books by the remarkable Phil Bolger is a treat. Some of his designs are of traditional construction, others are of more modern materials.

Fair winds!

I have finished the model and am pleased overall with the results. Building this has pointed out some areas I need to improve, especially in boat hull construction. The John Gardner book ("Building Classic Small Craft") has some interesting techniques for laying out the planking that I want to try out. I now have to pick a candidate and scale for my next build.
I used the sail plan from Gardner's book:

Sail Plan.jpg

I adapted the dimensions from the sail plan and cut the sails from some old material I had on hand. The mail sail was fastened to the mast and boom with half hitches as described in the book. I did all of this off the boat to make it easier.

Sails Attached.JPG

I didn't take any photos of the rigging process since it's hard to see anyway. But here is the final product. I apparently damages the shrouds when I was handling the boat for the photos.. Good grief...

Final Model 1.JPG

Final Model 2.JPG

Now, back to the boat yard!
Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
My congratulations for finishing this model - well done

Back